“Not So Up Scale” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Saint Charles
Livonia Michigan
“Not So Up Scale”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Spent a night at Pheasant Run Resort while attending a convention and thought they could have done much better with a few things for the price we paid.

I don't understand how they can charge a "resort fee" which gives you the right to swim in their pool and use their treadmills and weight lifting equipment. $9.95 a day seems a bit much. I've stayed in hotels for less and they didn't charge me a fee to use their pool and weight lighting equipment.

I also would think that you would expect the housekeeping staff to be sure they fill the Kleenex box, make sure ink pens aren't strewn over the floor and check to be sure the coffee mugs are clean. Not so for our stay.

I also thought they would have provided nicer towels that weren't so "cheap" and a bath robe or two since they tout themselves as a resort. I also had an old TV and thought we'd have at least a flat screen in the room with good cable reception. Again, not so....

I will say the hotel lobby, atrium, garden area etc. was nicely appointed and the overall hotel was clean.

Next time I come to St. Charles for the convention I won't be staying at the "resort", but will find a better value.

The

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

456 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Creswell, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I just spent three nights at Pheasant Run for a conference, and found it to be on the low end of adequate. My first experience in my tower room (with a view of the 6 lane highway) was the water. Having just gotten off the plane, I had no bottled water with me and was desperate for a drink. What came out of the tap was appallingly foul. There was no bottled water in the vending machines, either - only soft drinks. I was still pondering this situation when I pulled back the cover on my bed to discover that, although the mattress cover was very nice, there was no bottom sheet. The front desk sent somebody up right away, and she very kindly brought me a couple of bottles of water.

The conference seminars took place in one of the large ballrooms and in the smaller meeting rooms. Everything was nicely set up and the refreshments were plentiful and attractively displayed. The smaller meeting rooms would have been fine except for the window heating/cooling units in each room which howled pretty much constantly. I had a serious problem hearing the presenters over the noise. Other people, with better hearing, also complained of this problem.

The strongest point of this resort was the catering. Each lunch was different and very nicely presented. The wait staff made sure everybody had drinks, and were quick to take the used dishes away. The big "Mardi Gras" dinner was quite - well flavored with a variety of dishes.

The weakest point, from my standpoint, was the location. The golf course is very pretty, but there are signs warning non-golfers from walking on the paths. There is no other place to walk that is not alongside the busy highway. Without a car there is nothing to do away from the conference. (Well, yes, I did go to Wal-Mart to get some water but I hate to consider that the high point of my trip.)

Room Tip: Higher on the golf course side would have a nice view.
Bella Vista,AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Recently returned from Pheasant Run where TAP pool league was holding its annual National Championships. This was my first visit to the property, and I was truly delighted by this mid American gem. Service was absolutely TOP NOTCH. From the moment I arrived, the ease of access to everything was simple. The front desk was particularly helpful and accommodating. Not only did I have my own reservations, but I had made reservations for 3 other rooms, which were shown the utmost care and respect. I requested that some paperwork be given to one person upon arrival, and it was INSTANTLY provided to the expecting party as soon as he revealed his name. Overall the facilities were very, very good, and I look forward to returning here.
The ONLY two negatives were:
1. Food choices closed very early. I am unsure if it was communicated that the event we were holding in their Megacenter was round-the-clock, but regardless, everything on sight closed up much too soon.
2. The shower head. In an otherwise FANTASTIC room, the shower head was absolutely ATROCIOUS. No pressure and rust stained.I seriously considered slip[ping over to Wal Mart or Target and getting a replacement.

Room Tip: High rooms on the tower have a great view of the Gold Course and lake. Elevators are FAST.
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

If you are doing a convention or a trade show, please make sure you have heat in the fall or winter or air in the summer.. We were there for the Tap Nationals and literally froze . no heat, they did not have maintenance fix the furnaces .We were there for four days and they finally brought portable heaters into the hall. two at each end with the side doors open and closing all day it was impossible to keep warm. I have a cold thanks to this place... I will never go back. Why spend to freeze. when you have to wear cuddle duds inside it is to much. In the hall ways to the rooms , they had ceiling leaks and floor was slippery but they did put a bucket down. Food was ok but over priced for the amount. And inside the big hall they over charged 2.50 for a half liter of brisk tea.. Make a buck don't don't over charge. So disappointed. We went off property to eat after paying to much for dinner one night. No place for me.

Room Tip: if your on the lower level make sure you close drapes.. windows a foot away from peepers walking by.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Recently stayed here again. I've stayed here many times, but this time I really noticed that changes are needed. Probably the biggest issue was the smelly water. I stayed across the street at the Hilton Garden Inn for one night and at Pheasant Run for a couple nights. The Hilton did not have smelly water. The water at Pheasant Run stunk big time. Really didn't like the idea of showering in it or brushing my teeth with it. Another problem was the tub did not drain. I took a shower my first night and even though the drain was open, the water was over ankle deep and once I got out of the shower, it took an hour for the water to drain out. Those were the issues in the room, but another issue were the elevators. Talk about jumpy, scary elevators...they would stop between floors and really shake. I think some major upgrades are needed to Pheasant Run Resort. I would definitely stay at the Hilton Garden Inn next time instead because it's cheaper, in better shape, with non smelling water, and is a better property. For having issues at Pheasant Run, it is definitely not a cheap place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a tower room, higher up the better
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed at the resort for a wool spinners conference. Our room overlooked the outside plaza, and was fine. The food at the little cafe was good, but a little pricey for breakfast. It's a better idea to go to the breakfast buffet, which was fine though not exceptional. However, our shower had no ironing board, and a broken shower head. The maintenance man fixed that very promptly. Despite asking housekeeping twice for the ironing board, it never got done. Also, the room was not serviced by them one day. When we got back from town that night, we had to ask separately for service. Overall, the resort was undistinguished.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Novato
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I flew in for 4 days from California. We were there to see family and the clerk at the front desk recommended the Scarecrow Festival. Parking was at the Charleston Mall (very close by) and there was a free shuttle. Not only was Pheasant Run one of the visible venders, they also entered a really cool tin man scarecrow. You have to be impressed by a hotel that is also an active member of the community.

The rooms were wonderful and there were 5 or six pillows on the bed. Our room was very clean and the wifi worked well. The inside/outside pool is awesome and the Sunday brunch was fantastic. We were treated to wonderful food and live entertainment! The singer sounds a lot like Harry Connick Jr. The golf course is beautifully kept and it was nice to smell the freshly cut grass. Next time we come back, we will check out the comedy club and the theater. This resort has it all!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Pheasant Run Resort and Convention Center? Share your experiences!