Spent a few days at the Q-Center in St. Charles for some business training. This is a training center. Its purpose seems to be to provide a space to bring together large groups for training. It does that adequately. I thought a few tips might make someone's stay a little easier.
1) The rooms are crazy small. Twin beds. Really! You can upgrade to larger quarters. The basic room is a twin bed, a built in dresser/sink, a desk built on top of the heat pump, and a separate toilet/shower. The room itself is probably under 60 square feet. Room to move consists of a 2 foot wide strip about 10 feet long. There is no other floor space. If you expect a normal hotel, you will be disappointed.
2) The food is abundant. As is typical in these settings, the food is all you can eat and there is a nice variety. This is a new venue for the training I attended and there was a broader selection of vegetarian options than in the previous venue but a smaller selection of dessert. Overall I had no trouble finding something to eat. But- I found the food to be singularly one note. There was a real lack of flavor in much of what I ate and with the exception of a grilled fish taco no real depth.
3) The setting is a bit of a labyrinth. Take the time to understand the map online and wander the property a bit before your meeting starts. Once I got a feel for the various buildings I was fine. But there was an initial confusion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For more than 40 years, Q Center has been one of the world's finest meeting facilities and the choice of many Fortune 500 companies. The 95-acre property offers a secluded, distraction-free environment with 1,042 sleeping rooms and 150,000+ square feet of IACC-certified meeting space. Q Center is an undisputed leader in conference center technology, offering 500 Mbps Internet bandwidth, wireless and LAN set-up, a secure data center and a full-service on-site events and media team. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- q Hotel Saint Charles
- q Center Saint Charles