“It was okay...but nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 16 hotels in Rosemont
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“It was okay...but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a two night stay at this hotel for a conference...it's conveniently located if flying into O'hare, but we drove.

Check-in was fairly smooth...we were early, but our room was ready.

We were told that parking was free...the clerk gave us a blue parking ticket that was supposed to let us in and out. She said to just take the ticket at the gate the first time, then throw it away and keep using the blue ticket. First time in, the blue ticket didn't work, so we did just take the gate ticket to get in. First time we went out, the blue ticket also didn't work...luckily a different gate was up, so we just left through there. Upon returning, the blue ticket didn't work again--a stop at the desk, and we were given another blue ticket to use--and that one worked. We weren't the only people with this problem...we saw others "stuck" trying to get out of the parking lot--and there were no gates that were just open, The gate is unattended, so this could actually be a big problem during busy times when the blue tickets don't work.

Also, parking is not necessarily near hotel entrances, so it's a long walk if you don't unload luggage at the door (which presents its own set of problems...registration parking requires going up a flight of stairs to get into the hotel). Also, no bellmen and no luggage carts available.

And if you end up parking in the ramp (not the outside lot), be aware that it is not connected to this hotel.

Our room was on the 10th floor--in what was referred to as a quiet wing,,,and it was definitely one of the quietest hotel rooms we've ever had! We heard virtually no noise in the hallways, nor through the walls or floors. We did hear planes overhead occasionally, but being close to O'hare, that's to be expected.

Decor of the hallways and room is very dated...and as another guest reports, very BLUE (a muted seafoam blue)! It's is in need of a re-do. Woodwork (particularly in the bathroom) is chipped. That being said, the furniture was VERY comfortable--bed, pillows, and double sofa were very nice (except for the colors!). The TV is nice, but is firmly mounted on the wall--no swivel--so the only way to watch TV is sitting on the bed (not the sofa). Finally, the curtains close well...and a clip is provided to ensure there's no gap of light where they come together...a VERY clever idea...!

The bathroom is fine, although set up a little awkwardly for practical use. There is no exhaust fan, so the bathroom stays steamy.

Finally, the WIFI is horrendous! The desk clerk told us it was free...there is a $12.95 per day charge, but she said it would be taken off at check-out. And indeed, there was no charge for us...GOOD THING! The WIFI never worked. We were never able to hook into it with any of our multiple devices. In fact, it rarely even came up as an option. As a business hotel, this is unacceptable--particularly if they did charge for it.

In summary, this hotel was "fine"...but I wouldn't rush to stay to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Gatwicksmom,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. It is really nice to know that you liked the bed and linens. On the other hand, I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation with the parking situation and with the WiFi service. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

521 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We booked for two rooms with two queens and when we came, they told us they had given our rooms to other people. Also, they double charged us for parking,, and when we informed them they were like sorry but did nothing about it. This hotel was very disappointing and I am officially never coming here again.

• Stayed October 2013
CPOHotel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Anonymous111094

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your concerns. Our team is highly motivated to provide great stay experience to all our guests and I would greatly welcome the opportunity to learn more about your reservations so I could address appropriately.

Please contact me directly at your convenience at cjacobsen@crowneplazaohre.com with your reservation confirmation numbers.
I am looking forward to talk to you soon.

Hastings, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Based on prior reviews I wasn't expecting a real up-scale property. What I got was about what I expected. What I didn't expect was the large hole in the ceiling and falling drywall. Here was my opinions on the hotel.

CHECK IN: Quick and since I was early, I had requested early check in. The room was ready and on the quite floor where I asked when I booked.

ROOM: Average size; WAY too blue (blue walls, blue table, blue couch, blue ottoman, blue floor, blue everything! Everything was clean and dusted (my biggest pet peeve); YES I even did the "white glove" test on the picture frames and they were all clean (mind you make in my 20's I was a housekeeper for a prominent chain so I know what is expected and I have OCD and cleanly-ness is #1 on my list!)! The room did have an odd smell to it, not good but not bad - no sure just what it was; I had linen spray with me so I used accordingly (for just such reasons). The fridg was unplugged so had to mess with it ourselves and then it was fine. Did not use safe.

BED: AWESOME!!!!!!! It's the best bed I have ever slept in. I even took a picture of the mattress tag so when I purchase a new one for home, I know what I am looking for! It was clean; bedding was very nice but I have seen the same thing in Choice hotels for half the price. It seems this new "triple sheet" thing is the new wave for all hotels. Bascially there is a sheet, a blanket and another sheet, then a comforter. Not sure what's so special about it, it just gives one more to keep track of while rolling around.

BATHROOM: Very small and oddly configured. I'm 5'5" and had to strattle the toilet to get the door closed. Forget about 2 adults trying to get dressed in there unless one of you does it in the tub. There are NO towel racks but cubby-holes. I've never seen that before. There was 1 small hook next to the shower but nowhere to hang more than 1 towel. Towels were very soft & didn't reak of bleach (not really sure if that's good or not). Amenities: shampoo, conditioner and a bar of soap. Not enough S&C for 2 either. We had to call for more (front desk contact 1).

FOOD: Didn't eat on property as I couldn't see spending $40+ on a strip steak. We sent to McD's just up the road for a quick bit.

PARKING: I wasn't told anything about the parking. But once I finally figured out WHERE & HOW to park, I went back to the front desk and asked about in & out priviledges and was informed they needed to give me a ticket and it would be charged to the room. That was fine but why didn't they mention all this when I checked in?? No a huge deal but it was a trip to the front desk which I hate doing. (front desk contact 2)

MISC: NOISE: We requested the 10th floor which is supposed to be the "quite floor" and I mentioned that we would be sleeping during the day and I wanted to make sure that we were in a quite area. I mentioned this at least 5 times!! About 1 hour into my stay, the room right across the hall (the one with 2 empty cases of beer!!!) started getting so loud we could hear them through the door, over the TV and with ear plugs in!! I called the front desk (front desk contact 3) and they said they would send someone up. After about 30 minutes, it got quite and we did not have another issue with it. However, it should not have happened to begin with! We never heard any other neighbors.

EXTRAS: The room was supposed to have lavendar spary, ear plugs, sleep mask & CD in the room. It did not. I asked for them and they advised they were only available at request & one per room. WHAT??? I booked for two but only 1 of us gets to sleep? Well they gave us 2 masks & 2 sets of ear plugs but since we got "extra" we didn't get the CD: "we can swap the mask and ear plugs but then we can't give you a CD". Really??? Keep your CD then! This was handled during check in (because I asked about them being in the room already).

Requested an extra set of towels and wash clothes for BOTH of us. There was only 2 towels and 2 wash clothes (we wanted to freshen up when we got there and knew we would shower again in the morning before leaving). (front desk contact 3). Security (not housekeeping) brought up 2 towels & 0 wash clothes. He was poliet and said he'd be right back. 30 mintues later, wash clothes.

CHECK OUT: The bill was under the door in the moring and had an extra charge on it. I ALWAYS check out at the front desk verses express check out (you can NOT dispute charges if you use express check out - found out the hard way). I was informed that the "added charges" were what my credit card was paying as a subsidey due to my "reward night" redemption. I said that was fine but my credit card was NOT getting charged. They needed to handle that on their end. I was offered a new billing removing the charge. Thus only the $24 parking fee was left. I am currently waiting on my next CC statement to ensure no further charges hit.

Overall: it was an OK room for a free reward night. If I would have had to pay full price, I would NOT be happy. As a Crowne Plaza hotel, I would have expected MUCH more. I have received better from much less expensive chain hotels. Not sure why this was supposed to be so special.

Would I stay here again? Based on PRICE alone in this area, Yes. Based on service and property "perks", No. My overall thoughts: this is an average property and nothing special. Make sure you research for your wants & needs! I don't stay ANYWHERE without checking TA first!

Room Tip: Make sure you make your requests known when you check in.
Dear Sonia B.,
We greatly appreciate your attention to details. Thank you for sharing that you have conducted the “white glove” test on the picture frames and that our bed was “awesome”. We are getting many similar compliments.
As you have noticed, our hotel was recently renovated and we regret that some of our décor didn’t meet your expectations. Recently, Crowne Plaza has upgraded the sleep amenity kits to feature Temple Spa products to include Repose Aromatherapy Resting Cream, Quietude Calming Mist, Soothing Balm. The old products that you are referring to have been discontinued and I apologize if this wasn’t clearly communicated to you.

Your comments about the noisy neighbor and inadequate parking info are greatly appreciated as it will help us to improve our service.

Thank you for your business and we would love to welcome you back. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you need any assistance with your future reservations.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We just stayed here over the past weekend. We arrived on a very early flight and they were able to accommodate us in a room - which was a Godsend as we had been up since 3 in the morning. The room was spacious, beds super comfy, beautiful décor as well as wonderful toiletries.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CPOHotel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Tripster1964

Our team is highly dedicated to provide great stay experience to all our guest and they would love to hear that you took some time to recognize their service. We greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing that our rooms are spacious, beds super comfy, décor beautiful and toiletries wonderful.

Thank you for your business and we are looking forward to your future stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you need any assistance with your future reservations.

Greenville, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed here for a surprise birthday party for my sister and it was very nice and it was an excellent price. I would definitely recommend it to family and friends. The only issue that I did have was that it was a little bit annoying that the hotel bar closed at 11:00 on a Saturday night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
CPOHotel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear famlygal,
Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza O’Hare for your sister’s surprise birthday party. We appreciate your kind words about hotel and the recommendations to your friends and family.

We regret that hotel bar hours of operations didn’t meet your expectations. I will look into the hours of operation with the Food and Beverage Director.

Thank you for your business and we are looking forward to your next stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you need any assistance with your future reservations.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Overall, the hotel was very clean and a fun place to be. The bars and restaurants in the hotel and nearby were excellent. However, the coordination of services among workers was poor for such a large hotel. We had a few requests and were sent running back and forth between the front desk, bar, housekeeping, etc instead of the hotel taking care of this for us. If you don't plan on spending much time in the hotel, it's great. If you may need things taken care of without a hassle, consider staying somewhere else in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CPOHotel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Inspec180,

It is our goal here at the Crowne Plaza O’Hare to provide great service to all our guests and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Our hotel was recently renovated and we regret if our room décor didn’t meet your expectations. I apologize for the inconvenience with our complimentary shuttle services and I can assure you that this is not typical for our property. I have already addressed it with our Director of Rooms.

Indialantic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed overnight waiting a flight from O'hare. Older hotel and is a Holiday Inn with a Crowne Plaza sign. Reservation site I made the reservation with rated as a four star. Room is basic and driver forgot to drop me off at my requested stop at the airport and said I could walk it which was a distance. I finally got to get him to take me there after stopping at the shuttle stop to pick up passengers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Inspec180,

I appreciate your candid review about your stay with us. I certainly apologize for the issues you experienced with the shuttle service provided. Despite this, it is pleasing to know that the rest of your visit was satisfactory.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare? Share your experiences!