I found myself stranded in Chicago courtesy of United Airlines and they gave me a choice of hotel to stay in until they could find me a flight.
Despite being a Platinum Elite member of IHG Rewards Club, when I checked in with the voucher from United, you'd think I had handed them a bowl of vomit. They looked at the ticket with disdain and promptly informed me that because I was using a United voucher, I would not be entitled to any of the concessions normally reserved for their Platinum Elite members. I was further informed that I would be placed in one of the cheapest rooms on the property, and would not earn any loyalty points. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
After this miserable welcome, I was told that my rental car was going to cost me $24 to self park in an outdoor parking lot, quite some distance from the lobby and my room.
When you are stranded somewhere without any luggage, it's not fun to have to deal with this kind of attitude at the check in desk.
After parking my car, and walking the considerable distance to my hotel room, I decided to go and spend the $20 voucher United had supplied for meals. I went to the hotel restaurant, and was quite impressed with the decor and open kitchen design. Sadly the calamari was tasteless and greasy. But since it was only an appetizer, I figured I'd let it slide. I ordered the salmon for entrée and while it was reasonably well presented (and with a price north of $20 one would hope it would look nice), it had all the taste and appeal of canned tuna. It was time to stop the assault on my tastebuds, so I sent it back.
To their credit they apologized and offered me one of their prepared sandwiches to take to my room. It was bland and ordinary, but for free it at least kept me from being too hungry.
I've stayed in a number of Crowne Plaza properties, and frankly many of them are less than stellar. But add in the overpriced parking, inedible food, expensive drinks, and bad attitude of some of the staff, and there is little I could recommend about the hotel.
To their credit, even my pauper room saved for dirty voucher holding United customers, was certainly very reasonable. The property is reasonably well maintained too. There is also a new mall that has opened up across the street that you can actually see from the taxiway of O'Hare. It looks like it would be a good shopping experience.
I'd say a management shakeup and replacement of the kitchen staff and this could be a reasonable hotel if you ever get caught stranded at O'Hare.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Chicago o`Hare Hotel Rosemont
- Crowne Plaza Chicago o`Hare Hotel
- Crowne Plaza Rosemont
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Rosemont
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the BRAND NEW, Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare. With newly renovated guest rooms and suites, ballrooms, meeting rooms, restaurant, and common areas, our full-service hotel delivers BRAND NEW comforts, along with attentive service and a variety of amenities. Perfect for the business and leisure traveler, all just minutes from O'Hare and steps away from the Donald Stevens Convention Center and Rosemont Theater. BRAND NEW GUEST ROOMS AND SUITES - All 503 of the hotels guest rooms have been completely re-styled and are eco-friendly. The rooms are decorated with a delightfully rich design that is classic and comfortable. All of the furniture is custom made with the best materials and crafted by the finest of experts. Dining is delectable and close at hand. Choices include dining at Chicago Fire Oven, a full service restaurant which offers specialty sandwiches, salads, pizzas and burgers, grab a bite at On the Fly, offering a variety of breakfast pastries, salads and sandwiches, or relax at our Visibility Bar, enjoying specialty pizzas with 10 beers on tap. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Otel, Hotels.com, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.