We stayed at the Crowne Plaza hotel at the beginning of our vacation for the sole purpose of flying out of O’Hare on an early morning flight. We booked our stay with them through Stay123.com as a “Park, Sleep and Fly” package. This is usually how we fly out of O’Hare since we live more than 2 hours from the airport.
There are three key components to the service: The parking, the sleeping accommodations and the transportation to and from the airport.
The Parking: The parking near the main entrance is very limited. The overflow lot is spacious but required a walk of the about 2 city blocks (outside and inside combined) to reach the elevators to the rooms. If we had been made aware of this by either the staff at the curb or the front desk we would have unloaded our bags before parking and taken them to our room directly. However, we were not offered any assistance nor did we see any luggage carts to assist ourselves. On a side note, there seemed to be some tension between the front desk personnel and the people greeting visitors at the front of the hotel. Our greeting from the curbside personnel consisted of a warning to be certain that we received the proper parking pass from the front desk because they had been having an issue…
The Room: As other reviewers have indicated, the room was “Ok”. Unfortunately the noise from the hallway was very loud in our room. We place a towel in front of the large gap between the floor and main door which helped a little, but it was not enough. We did not mind the noise of the planes, but the noise from the hallway prevented us from sleeping very well.
The Transportation: For us, this is the most important aspect of a park and fly experience.
To the Airport from the Hotel: We were in the lobby for our ride at about 3:15 AM. The shuttle is scheduled to leave the hotel for the airport every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour. The trip to the airport was good. Our driver was very friendly and helpful. He also explained that the shuttle is not normally so empty and that runs to and from the airport from about 4:30 AM to 9:00 PM were usually much fuller. He also provided hints and tips about getting back on the shuttle. However these seemed in contradiction to the instructions on the slip of paper the front desk of the hotel gave us.
To the Hotel from the Airport: This leg of our trip never happened. After arriving back at O’Hare and claiming our baggage we went to the shuttle and bus center as instructed at about 9:40 PM. With in 10 minutes of our arrival the shuttle to the hotel arrived. By this time there were about 35 people waiting for the shuttle. The driver came around the bus and addressed the crowd to tell us that the shuttle would only hold 20 people. Several people expressed concern which was met by the driver with an attitude of “too bad for you”. Since the scene was beginning to border on a riot, I politely asked the driver how long before the next shuttle would arrive for the Crowne Plaza. He responded that it would be 20 minutes. He then told the crowd that if we did not like the situation, we should walk back to the baggage area and catch a cab. As angry as the crowd was several people did catch a cab leaving about 8 of us waiting. We figured we could wait another 20 minutes and that patience is a virtue. After 30 minutes the shuttle returned with the same driver and same bad attitude. In the mean time, 20 additional airline passengers and six members of a flight crew arrived. The driver got out of the shuttle walked to the back of it where we were waiting and told the flight crew (who were the last to arrive) that he would find a way to get them into the bus through the desperate crowd. We told him that we had been waiting since the last trip he made. He disregarded us and moved to the front of the bus. He addressed the crowd and basically told us all where we could go. It was brutal and ugly.
This story does not get any better after we got a taxi back to our hotel. The taxi was unable to get any closer than a two city block from our car because of the placement of the parking lot gates. We ended up dragging our nine days worth of luggage the last two blocks through water, mud and at times dark areas.
Conclusion: We did not receive the service that we paid for. We rate it a 2 rather than a 1 because we did eventually get home and our car was not damaged in the parking lot. With all of the other choices available we will not be back. This was a poor ending to an otherwise great vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the BRAND NEW, Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare. With newly renovated guest rooms and suites, ballrooms, meeting rooms, restaurant, and common areas, our full-service hotel delivers BRAND NEW comforts, along with attentive service and a variety of amenities. Perfect for the business and leisure traveler, all just minutes from O'Hare and steps away from the Donald Stevens Convention Center and Rosemont Theater. BRAND NEW GUEST ROOMS AND SUITES - All 503 of the hotels guest rooms have been completely re-styled and are eco-friendly. The rooms are decorated with a delightfully rich design that is classic and comfortable. All of the furniture is custom made with the best materials and crafted by the finest of experts. Dining is delectable and close at hand. Choices include dining at Chicago Fire Oven, a full service restaurant which offers specialty sandwiches, salads, pizzas and burgers, grab a bite at On the Fly, offering a variety of breakfast pastries, salads and sandwiches, or relax at our Visibility Bar, enjoying specialty pizzas with 10 beers on tap. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Chicago o`Hare Hotel Rosemont
- Crowne Plaza Rosemont
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Rosemont