“Flight Crews Only, Please!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Rosemont
Madison, Wisconsin
“Flight Crews Only, Please!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza hotel at the beginning of our vacation for the sole purpose of flying out of O’Hare on an early morning flight. We booked our stay with them through Stay123.com as a “Park, Sleep and Fly” package. This is usually how we fly out of O’Hare since we live more than 2 hours from the airport.

There are three key components to the service: The parking, the sleeping accommodations and the transportation to and from the airport.
The Parking: The parking near the main entrance is very limited. The overflow lot is spacious but required a walk of the about 2 city blocks (outside and inside combined) to reach the elevators to the rooms. If we had been made aware of this by either the staff at the curb or the front desk we would have unloaded our bags before parking and taken them to our room directly. However, we were not offered any assistance nor did we see any luggage carts to assist ourselves. On a side note, there seemed to be some tension between the front desk personnel and the people greeting visitors at the front of the hotel. Our greeting from the curbside personnel consisted of a warning to be certain that we received the proper parking pass from the front desk because they had been having an issue…
The Room: As other reviewers have indicated, the room was “Ok”. Unfortunately the noise from the hallway was very loud in our room. We place a towel in front of the large gap between the floor and main door which helped a little, but it was not enough. We did not mind the noise of the planes, but the noise from the hallway prevented us from sleeping very well.
The Transportation: For us, this is the most important aspect of a park and fly experience.
To the Airport from the Hotel: We were in the lobby for our ride at about 3:15 AM. The shuttle is scheduled to leave the hotel for the airport every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour. The trip to the airport was good. Our driver was very friendly and helpful. He also explained that the shuttle is not normally so empty and that runs to and from the airport from about 4:30 AM to 9:00 PM were usually much fuller. He also provided hints and tips about getting back on the shuttle. However these seemed in contradiction to the instructions on the slip of paper the front desk of the hotel gave us.
To the Hotel from the Airport: This leg of our trip never happened. After arriving back at O’Hare and claiming our baggage we went to the shuttle and bus center as instructed at about 9:40 PM. With in 10 minutes of our arrival the shuttle to the hotel arrived. By this time there were about 35 people waiting for the shuttle. The driver came around the bus and addressed the crowd to tell us that the shuttle would only hold 20 people. Several people expressed concern which was met by the driver with an attitude of “too bad for you”. Since the scene was beginning to border on a riot, I politely asked the driver how long before the next shuttle would arrive for the Crowne Plaza. He responded that it would be 20 minutes. He then told the crowd that if we did not like the situation, we should walk back to the baggage area and catch a cab. As angry as the crowd was several people did catch a cab leaving about 8 of us waiting. We figured we could wait another 20 minutes and that patience is a virtue. After 30 minutes the shuttle returned with the same driver and same bad attitude. In the mean time, 20 additional airline passengers and six members of a flight crew arrived. The driver got out of the shuttle walked to the back of it where we were waiting and told the flight crew (who were the last to arrive) that he would find a way to get them into the bus through the desperate crowd. We told him that we had been waiting since the last trip he made. He disregarded us and moved to the front of the bus. He addressed the crowd and basically told us all where we could go. It was brutal and ugly.

This story does not get any better after we got a taxi back to our hotel. The taxi was unable to get any closer than a two city block from our car because of the placement of the parking lot gates. We ended up dragging our nine days worth of luggage the last two blocks through water, mud and at times dark areas.

Conclusion: We did not receive the service that we paid for. We rate it a 2 rather than a 1 because we did eventually get home and our car was not damaged in the parking lot. With all of the other choices available we will not be back. This was a poor ending to an otherwise great vacation.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
CPOHotel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
I have reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay and thank you for providing feedback to us. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the shuttle service and driver. This type of behavior is unacceptable to our management team and we are committed to creating a positive experience for all our guests. In order to follow up in more detail on this experience, if your able to provide me with the dates of this shuttle issue that would be very helpful? We are hopeful that you would consider giving the hotel another opportunity to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to providing exceptional service. I have included my email address and direct line below.

cjacobsen@crowneplazaohare.com
(847) 928-3700

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Turkish first
Muncie, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Pros
Nice rooms
Clean property
Close to convention center
Nice staff

Cons
Very difficult to drive in and out (traffic)
Parking system is complicated (took me 20 mins to get to the gate)
No complimentary shuttle as site indicated
Over priced food ($16 for one piece of toast and juice they added $3 tip)
Water is very hard

• Stayed October 2011
Thank you for talking the time to comment on your recent stay at our hotel. I am delighted about your feedback on the guestrooms and it is always great to hear about positive experiences with our staff. I am sorry to hear about the traffic challenges arriving at the property and the slow down when you exited our parking lot. I have met with the manager responsible for the parking lot/pay machines to pass on this feedback. We don't want any guest inconvenienced and rest assured we will follow up to ensure the system is functioning properly . We are hopeful that you would consider giving the hotel another opportunity to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to providing exceptional service and product .

Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Just an average Holiday Inn, nothing special. They charge a premium because of the location and don't deliver anything to justify it. Beds are comfortable but the bathrooms are too modern with no towel racks and strande cubby holes. Had a package delivered there and they never bothered to notify me. Food is just OK. It works good for business because the convention center is across the street but it is not up to the level of other Crowne Plaza hotels.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
We have reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay and thank you for providing feedback to us. It is always our goal to provide an exceptional experience and great service to all customers. I am sorry to hear that you were not notified regarding your package at the hotel. I have met with our front office manager and he has followed up with all front desk associates. We keep a package/parcel log and unfortunately human error occurred when you weren't properly notified. I appreciate your comments on the pricing but want to assure you our pricing is in line with the hotels in this area. We are hopeful that you would consider giving the hotel another opportunity to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to providing exceptional service.

Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

My company had a conference recently at CPOH. There was nothing to praise, and nothing to complain about. The rooms were recently renovated and the bed was comfortable. I slept better at this hotel than most. The staff did a good job with the conference and were not noticable in a good or bad way, which is how I like it.

Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

First off, the rooms are OK. The staff however cannot provide the basics. On check in for the second visit in a row they provide a key card that will not open the door. tv does not get all the channels. There with a group that has a specific contract. Both visits they claim they don't know the terms and overcharge. Need to watch your bill like a hawk!!!!!!! meeting services failed to provide agreed to amenities on both visits. There is no where to park. Elevators to the rooms are not accessible to any one with any minor impairment. Try rolling your luggage down several sets of stairs.

Room Tip: Aircraft noise no matter where you stay...ear plugs needed
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
CPOHotel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
We have reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay and thank you for providing feedback to us. It is always our goal to provide an exceptional experience and great service to all customers. I am sorry to hear we fell short of this with what you experienced. I have reviewed the problems with your guestroom key and television reception with the team members and we are addressing this. In addition, our hotel is 100% compliant with all ADA requirements. We are hopeful that you would consider giving the hotel another opportunity to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to providing exceptional service. In addition, I would like to provide you with my direct line if I may be of future service.

Upstate, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We had a meeting recently at the Crown Plaza O'Hare. The hotel is just 5 minutes from O'Hare. Very convenient to airport. Have to head back to O'Hare to catch the "L" train to get to the Loop. Front desk staff were very nice. Room was basically clean, but needs a bit of updating--bathroom tub was old and scratched. Room heating and air conditioning unit was really loud. Excellent free shuttle service to and from airport. Conference rooms are fine, but the one we were in was terribly poorly insulated for sound. We could the entire meeting next dorr--including shouting and demonstrations of power tools! Restaurant/cafe was fine. Food/beverage service for our meeting was pretty darn good.

The one huge negative is the worst hotel business center I have ever been in. Prices are outrageous $1/page for copies--yes, you read that right, no receipts, slow service. The hotel contracts out the business center and it is terrible. Really terrible.

Other than that, it was an overall good experience. I'd probably give it 3.5 stars if that option were available.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
CPOHotel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you for providing feedback to us on your recent stay. It is always our goal to provide an exceptional experience and great service to all customers. I am sorry to hear about the condition of your bathtub and I have reviewed this with our housekeeping manager. I have also reviewed your comments on the meeting room noise level with our banquet and engineering teams. The soundproofing spec in the meeting rooms are tested to handle normal noise levels but I apologize that the louder group next to you could be heard. In addition I have reviewed your comments on the business center pricing. The pricing that we have established is competitively priced for the areas convention hotels. We are always willing to work with our meeting clients on additional services and pricing options for their meeting attendees. We are hopeful that you would consider giving the hotel another opportunity to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to providing exceptional service and product .

Beijing
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Stayed one night on United as flight was cancelled. Adequate but very ordinary hotel as you'd expect from an 'airport hotel'. No issues with the room. It was clean and comfortable. I had two meals in the restaurant however and I shopped a bit in the gift/convenience shop. The food was very well prepared on both occasions. Upscale by my way of thinking and prepared with care -but not overpriced. I passed the difference to my waitress who was friendly to me and made me feel like my business mattered to her. The restaurant has very late hours as you'd expect from an airport hotel. The attendant in the gift shop was likewise friendly to me and made me feel like a paying guest should feel. To me it's all about attitude and it seems to me that this hotel's management 'gets it' and is successful in motivating its workforce. Recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare? Share your experiences!