“Good” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary
“Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and it is a good conference hotel in Chicago. The rooms and clean and nice but the washrooms are on the small size for the hotel room. I prefer a shower and the room I had one. The hotel is a busy conference hotel for the Chicago area so expect to see a lot of people walking through the hotel lobby. The hotel gym is on the small size but the service from the employees is good. Even though it is next to the O'Hare airport the noise from the airport is not noticeable and I had no problem sleeping at night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
richmond hill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare for 6 days ( on the 10th floor) to attend a big conference with over 1000 attendees. What impressed me most was not one time did I have to wait for more than a minute to get in an elevator. The 4 elevators with windows did run fast! There are enough sitting area in the lobby. The room, in the main atrium, was spacious and clean, with a balcony. The airplane noise did not bother me at all as long as you keep the balcony window closed. I didn't have to use the sound machine or ear plugs provided. The hotel is within walking distance to the Fashion Outlet Mall and the train station. Train to downtown took about 40 mins. We parked our car in the hotel's multi-level garage and on the third level there is a walkway to the lobby. We just used our room key to get in and out of the garage. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel and will recommend to our friends.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Bowling Green, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I checked in late (11pm) and headed to my room. After a long day of travel I was exahusted and just wanted to get to bed. When approaching my room I noticed several trays of room service near my door. As I got to my room, the trays were actually in front of my door slightly. Natrually, I become concerned that someone was asleep in my room. I tried my room key and it worked and I hoped that I wouldn't be walking in on someone already asleep in my room. The room was clean - and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was extremely small. The shower was so small it was almost not workable for a female trying to get ready in the morning.

I did dine at the restaurant in the hotel and the food was good.

Overall - I would not choose to stay here again because of the bathroom size. It was probably the smallest shower I have ever had....in all my travels.

Room Tip: This is an airport hotel. I'm not sure you can find a good quiet room. I did hear some of the...
Parksville, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We attended the Compassionate Friends Conference and found everything very nice. The room was very spacious and nice. The restaurants needed a little better menu with better pricing. All the employees made the stay very enjoyable. The front desk staff helped us plan our trip downtown and one even provided their number in case we had problems. Would say at again.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are nice.
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Let me start by saying OMG service does count and there are other options near the airport...this hotel is on my "Never Again" list. The bad first impression came at the front desk where there were three people behind the desk but only one person checking in the looong line of guests. One of the other people was approached and asked if she could assist in checking people in and she said, without even looking up to see the person she was speaking to "No, I'm busy." This "don't bother me with your petty needs" attitude pervades the entire hotel. Pair this training deficit with the just adequate rooms and I need never stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I have just spent three nights at the hotel and was expecting a good experience but unfortunately had a less than great experience.

First, some positives:
- Bed is super comfortable, and given that planes are flying over regularly I didnt notice them, even without the nice touches of ear plugs and white noise machine
- Front desk staff are probably the best of the bunch with regard to communicating, that being, listening and responding to what you are saying.

Let downs:
The website heavily advertising their dining options, two of the nights I stayed the main restaurant was not open for dinner. The first night I was told it was 'tonight only' and then the second night that it is based on demand. That is not listed on the site, and when you are stuck out near the airport people do choose a location based on how and where they can kill time.
- The substitute, the red bar, had quite tasteless food.

I have worked in service myself but there were several things that were just annoying and not just 'not good enough' but actually made me go out of my way to rectify or do something.
- Left a note and tip for housekeeper to leave me a foam pillow in the service, the tip was taken, the pillow was nowhere to be seen, I called when I returned to the room later that afternoon.
- Used the much publicized online room service ordering on my final morning, and after 30 minutes was called and told it would be another 30 minutes (by which time i'd have to be checked out an on my way). When I said that an hour is not good enough I was told "I can't do nothin' until these other checks are cleared" - right! So that left me with a rushed breakfast at the restaurant, and late to my work commitment.
- At OH restaurant I was delivered a drink I didnt ask for, I told the person who delivered it and he said 'well I was told...' and I didnt drink it, and saw it on my check but didnt have time for it go back and get corrected because you guessed it - getting the check can take 5-10 minutes.
- Many of the non front desk stuff just seemed unhappy and annoyed when you needed something from them, this was particularly with the bell desk.

Given on many fronts service was broken, I can assume that the hotel management are aware of the staff's indifference to service and have likely tried to improve it and have failed for various reasons.

I may have to come back to the area but I won't be staying there, which is a shame as I'm a loyal hyatt lover.

I would have overlooked one or two of these, but they were just totally frustrating, and not good enough for a regency.

Los Altos, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

A quick poll... Why would you stay at Hyatt Regency O'Hare?
(a) luxury room
(b) pampering spa
(c) fun activities
(d) gourmet food
(e) the convenience and proximity to airport?
For me and I think for a lot of other guests, it's the location. The core value of an airport hotel is to give guests as much sleep as possible. The management of Hyatt Regency seems to think that this core value can be reduced when guests' need is greatest late at night. The hotel shuttle bus only operates in 30-min intervals after midnight. If you throw the long hike to the shuttle center and the 5-10 min shuttle ride, it could easily be an hour from flight de-boarding to hotel check-in.
For me, unfortunately it took me over an hour to get to the hotel and is clearly a deal breaker.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency O'Hare? Share your experiences!