“Good Hotel but Expensive” 4 of 5 stars

Stay More, Save More
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Rosemont
GreenLeadersSilver level
Maryland
“Good Hotel but Expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

I stayed for 2 nights at the end of September 2008, I was there for a training session. I found the hotel to be beautiful and very clean. ALL the staff from the front desk to housekeeping were very friendly and helpful.

The free shuttle bus to and from the airport was fast, and again the driver very helpful and friendly.

The hotel gym was one of the very best I have ever been in. I spent about 2 hours a day in the gym, really enjoyed every minute of those work outs.

My room was small but clean. The king sized bed was V-E-R-Y comfortable, I have not slept that well at a hotel in years. My only complaint with the room was it's small size and the tiny tiny bathroom. I could barely fit in the shower stall. Still, the bathroom was clean and the water pressure was strong and nice and hot.

I flew in so I didn't have to pay for parking but I heard others grumble about high parking fees. I paid an extra 10.00 per night for internet access, but it was a fast connection. One area the hotel did gouge in was food. I paid over 9.00 for a modest breakfast at the coffee shop and about 23.00 for lunch. I didn't have dinner there but I imagine it would have been about 30 - 40 bucks a person. The food was o.k. but it was not worth the price they charged.

Anyway, all in all it was a good stay and I would return.

• Liked — Fantastic Bed
  • Disliked — Pricey Meals
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Vancouver, B.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

I would never stay here if I was paying the bill. I stayed for 3 days to attend a conference. The room was small, but comfortable even though the bed sheets were rather worn. The bathroom was cramped and the decor was dated. My employer paid $200++ per night, and I don't think that price provided any value for the money.

The employees were friendly and courteous. The meal service at the conference was excellent. They really have a great group of people.

However, when I book hotels for myself, there are 2 main criteria. It must have no charge parking and internet. It was a real hassle setting up and account logging into their internet provider every time I went online. I will not have $10 per day internet and $20 per day parking charges added to my bill when I am paying as I feel really ripped off. Internet and parking should always be no charge to paying guests.

• Liked — friendly service
  • Disliked — internet charges, and setting up and constantly logging into an account
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bloomington, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

I stayed at the Hyatt for a work conference for 3 days. The hotel itself is directly next to O'Hare (within 3 miles). It's within walking distance to the train and to the bus. The property is MASSIVE with plenty of room for everyone. Our conference had over 1,000 people in attendance, and there was also another gathering which seemed rather large itself (Beatles Fest). I never felt that anyone's territory was encroached upon and that all of the parties, meetings and conferences going on had their own level of seclusion and privacy. The food for the conference was absolutely EXTRAORDINARY. HOWEVER...the food from the Hotel itself (i.e. traveler only) left much to be desired. "Perks" the Starbuck's cafe carried little on the menu, yet charged more than local Starbuck's. The bar had sufficient drink menus, but lacked on late night food (not good for a city known for it's food selection). After our conference ended at nearly midnight one evening, 4 of us headed to the bar for martini's and ended up with Hot wings on the side as this was the ONLY appetizer on the menu. The hotel itself was a clean contemporary design. Our rooms were very clean with a balcony. The tv was dated, and I only noticed this because the Olympics were on, and we were very interested in watching them. My suggestion to travelers for pleasure is to visit outside eateries that Chi is known for and skip out on the food and coffee atmosphere that the hotel offers. Our bellhops weren't very friendly and seemed dissatisfied with our tips, which was very tacky. The men in downtown Chicago hotels seemed MUCH more grateful for the SAME tips than the hops at the Hyatt. We called and asked for glass drinking glasses (as ours had not been replaced with maid service) and never did receive them. All in all, the hotel experience was a nice one with a few minor complaints.

• Liked — Cleanliness, proximity to Chicago downtown and O'Hare
  • Disliked — The bellhop's ungratefulness and slow customer service at the front desk.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

I was essentially going to Chicago for a beer run, to load up my car with Fat Tire beer, which we don't have in Cleveland. I also had a friend I wanted to visit with. So I went to Priceline, bid $55 for a 4-star-level hotel, and voila, my bid for a Sunday night stay was accepted.
A couple of comments. First of all, shame on both the Hyatt and Priceline for even suggesting that my cost would be anywhere near $55. After taxes and fees, it was $70. But wait, that's not all! Since this is a so-called business hotel by O'Hare, for the privilege of parking your car overnight, you shell out another mandatory $20. So the final cost is much closer to the $100 mark than half of that. And I didn't even open the mini-fridge.
Lots of people on this website have commented on the noise. Hey people, it's about a block from O'Hare, so what did you expect? Didn't the 757s swooping over the hotel with their landing gear down give you a hint? If you are one who requires total silence when you sleep, find a Super8 100 miles west in an Illinois cornfield. Or use earplugs, for heaven's sake. I had no trouble sleeping.
The room was small but comfortable. The king-size bed took up a majority of the room, but there was still room for a desk. One of my bedside lights was burned out. The bathroom was small, but clean and heavy on the granite and marble; very cool. One thing that wasn't cool was the temperature of my room. Now I admit that I like to sleep in a room with a temperature like a meat locker. So I set my thermostat for 68'. Well, the air conditioner hummed away, but I doubt it ever got below about 73 or so. To me, that's kind of unacceptable at this level of hotel. Finally, the hotel bar was kind of cool, with friendly staff and - yes! - Fat Tire on tap.
Still, overall, I won't stay here again. I just feel like any place that charges me $20 for parking for one day (the parking garage was only about a quarter full, by the way) is turning the screws on its guests. So I'll give up the big fancy hotel lobby and king bed for free parking and a kick-a$$ A/C unit.

• Liked — Bathroom, bed, fancy lobby, bar
  • Disliked — Cost to park and substandard A/C
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Campbell, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

Stayed at the Hyatt a few days ago. Took a voluntary bump from the airline to leave the next day and was provided a room here. There are rooms that face the atrium and then corner rooms in a circular pattern around a tower in each of the 4 corners. I had one of the corner rooms. Room was quite small and because it was in a circle, oddly shped being very narrow near the door and much wider at the window. Bathroom is very small and cramped and just has a shower stall, not a tub. Room is reasonably well appointed as normal Hyatt standards but again is small and cramped. I was provided the room free so I can't complain about the price I paid but if I had paid to stay here, I would have been dissapointed. One major thing I thought was incredibly tacky... each floor has an area for vending and ice machines. I checked 4 different floors and they have removed all the vending machines leaving just the ice machine so you have to use the minibar in the room if you want to grab a quick soda. At $4, no thanks. I will say that the front desk was very helpful checking in. They had a huge line of people who had been bumped, missed flights etc. and moved them through quickly, efficiently and courteously. On balance, there are better O'Hare options.

• Liked — Shuttle runs frequently
  • Disliked — Rooms small and oddly shaped
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Yorktown, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

We stayed here one night after a 19+ hour trip from overseas, just to recoup, gather our senses, and prepare for more traveling the next day. The room was small, but there was enough space for the crib they had provided (booked ahead). A nice touch was a box of sample baby shampoos, powders, etc. and a blanket for the baby, not just a sheet. No fridge - I'm guessing this is common in the US now? The bathroom was minuscule and only a shower cabin. I'd hoped to be able to bathe the baby after such a long flight through so many airports, etc., but that wasn't to be. We went down to the 24 hour sandwich shop for food, hot water for baby bottles, that seemed to work well and while expensive was a lot less than room service. Our request for extra towels (I was still trying to find a way to bathe the baby and needed at least one more than the two the room came with) was resisted, but eventually met. Still annoyed by the extra charge for internet access, but that also seems to be common to most hotels we've stayed at here - Crowne Plaza, Hilton, Hyatt.

The hotel restaurant was nice for breakfast. We were unimpressed with the buffet, ordered off the menu. The staff prepared mac-n-cheese as a special request for the little one (her clock told her it was late lunchtime, not breakfast) and I don't think they charged us for it as we had already ordered a breakfast item for her as well.

I can see this hotel being problematic during rowdy conventions, but we had no such noise problems. Only real beef was trying to get a shuttle back to the airport the next day - there was only a small van running, we had to wait at least one or two cycles of shuttles to get to the airport due to the volume of people waiting to ride. On our ride from the airport there was a large bus - not sure what happened to it the next day.

• Liked — Location, Staff
  • Disliked — Shuttle Service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

We were here for a weekend seminar and took advantage of the reduced rate to stay on for the week - in hindsight I wish we'd changed hotels.

3rd floor room main building:

The staff were usually great and always polite and the room was certainly above average in space and amenities but as other's have mentioned, beware the extras that creep in - $10 a day for internet and $28 a day to park is a bit steep.

Housekeeping was fine other than both beds having bloodstained sheets which I dont think should ever happen, which weren't changed despite leaving two notes for housekeeping.

There aren't many restaurants within walking distance so if you're not here with a car at the $28-a-day parking then food options at lunchtime can be rather restricted on weekdays - either the same four sandwiches every day from the coffee shop or the main restaurant which gets very busy when most meetings break for lunch at the same time.

The breakfast buffet there in the morning is good quality food, but personally I found the hot side of it far too limited in choice to justify the $18 price tag and if you order off the menu rather than having buffet then you're charged for the juice and coffee as well and the price really ramps up (eg 2 eggs, ham, hash browns, toast, juice and coffee for two people = $40). When the bar is open (not lunches usually) the burgers/sandwiches/wraps etc ($14-18) were good quality and pretty fast.

And finally as has been mentioned, noise is a big problem here. Sure there is some aircraft noise as it is an airport hotel, but the glazing is pretty good and it was never an aircraft that woke me. What did though was other guests and particularly the high proportion of idiots that thought yodelling across the atrium at 0330 to see if they got an echo was funny. Most of the rooms lead off this atrium and bar noise and idiots can be a major problem - and woke us every night we were there. Check what conferences/meetings are on before you book because despite all the security the staff clearly won't shush anyone crawling in from a bar in the early hours.

Great for conferences I;m sure, but not a lot else - about 45 mins in to downtown Chicago by train or $45-50 taxi fare.

• Liked — Helpful staff
  • Disliked — NOISE NOISE NOISE, price of extras/food
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hyatt Regency O'Hare? Share your experiences!