“Good hotel, but very thin walls!” 3 of 5 stars

Stay More, Save More
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Rosemont
GreenLeadersSilver level
Temple
“Good hotel, but very thin walls!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This trip was my second stay at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare, the last time was 7 years ago. I picked this hotel because of the proximity to the convention center. If you're working or attending a show at the convention center, no hotel is more convenient; it's attached by a climate controlled (sort of) walkway.
The hotel is a bit dated, but generally very nice. I haven't stayed in a "regular" room; my room was in one of the round towers. Because of the shape of the towers, the rooms are a bit odd in shape, but the sleeping area is reasonably large and comfortable. The bathrooms, because of the shape of the rooms and the age of the hotel, are a bit small, around 30 square feet total. Only enough room for one person, which makes getting ready a bit more time consuming. (My wife traveled with me this trip).
My biggest issue with the room was the noise level. Because of the proximity to the airport, there is a lot of aircraft noise, however this pretty much stops after about 10pm with the flying day winding down, however it can be a bit annoying when trying to take a little afternoon nap!
The other problem is that, either the walls are very thin or there is some sort of issue with sound traveling around the glass walls. We had to listen to our neighbors engaged in a very spirited "romantic" interlude, as well as another neighbor conducting business on the phone. One morning at around 4 am a couple began a loud discussion regarding their night out. Could have been the romantic couple.
The food at the American Grill in the hotel was very good, though at $18, the breakfast buffet was a bit over priced. Then again, it was convenient.
Would I stay there again? Maybe. There are now several newer hotels almost as convenient that may bear a closer looking at.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HyattOHare, Manager at Hyatt Regency O'Hare, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
I am sorry to hear that we were unable to offer you a restful night's sleep due to neighbornig noise. I sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you and your wife a better experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

We got stuck in Chicago overnight and decided on this place. So glad we did! We had a mix up using their computer check in which gave us a room that had not been cleaned yet, but they took care of it right away and very professionally and gave us a $50 voucher to use on anything in the hotel. We stayed in an executive room which was extremely quiet and comfortable. The beds was great, tv, wifi, and dry cleaning was also very much apreciated. The bar was very good and we took advantage of their sushi night. Also got room service later that was very quick and yummy. After being stranded in airports this was literally heaven for us to have somewhere do luxurious and comfortable to relax and unwind. Shuttle to and from was great too, defiantly recommend!

• Stayed September 2012
How wonderful that you were able to enjoy so many of the amenities. After a long trip and airport delays, we certainly understand how important it is that you feel comfortable to relax and unwind. We hope to see you again soon!
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Was in town attending a convention across the street at the Donald Stephens Convention Center and stayed at the Hyatt since it was the hq hotel for the show. The hotel itself is nice, very modern decor and the staff is very attentive and accomodating. Be aware that as a "convention" hotel, all prices for services and f/b are very pricey!
Rooms are clean and comfortable. I was in the Executive Wing which was a little bit dated but that's the only complaint.
The Hyatt runs a complimentary shuttle to/from O'Hare and upon arriving in town, a hotel representative will meet you on the shuttle and check you in to your room, complete w/room keys, before leaving the airport. Nice touch!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
How wonderful that you enjoyed our newest addition to the Front Desk, Mobile Check In! While you are waiting for the shuttle, we are checking you in and getting you your room keys. We hope to save our busy traveling guests as much time as we can.
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Was in town for the marathon, I was suppose to stay downtown but they overbooked so I went to the airport, Having to deal with being walked, I was not too pleased. Justin from the downtown location made the best of the trip! So check in was busy so I went to the self service kiosk, It actually worked for me, first time I ever used it, normally when I start to roll over to one, I have an agent chasing me down! :-) This property is busy!!! Anyhow there were some minor issues, like the TV not working, sure you could hear it but there was no video, no worries a call down to the front desk, had an engineer knocking at the door in less than 10 minutes, I am highly allergic to smoke and I was woken up around 430AM and I was quite ticked, called the front desk, the response was well what do you want me to do about it? I responded call the fire department and have whoever decided to smoke to have a cold shower! There is a huge reason why the hotel has a non smoking floors, respect them! then later that day there was a huge issue with a staff member of valet, now If I was staying at the motel 6 fine, but this is the Hyatt and he was actually smoking in the circle drive. Yeah he was outside, but in front of the doors and in uniform, now the valet staff are not direct employees of the hotel but contractors, even so RESPECT! Anyhow the front office Manager, John Gill caught wind of my issues and he made it a personal mission to catch me on the check out and get my speech on things. He was very helpful, he was understanding, and most of all he treated me with respect. I am more than confident that things will be corrected, this location is easily accessible with the Blue Line, Stays like these cement the reasons why I continue my loyalty with the Hyatt Brand.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are proud to have John Gill as a member of the team. I am certainly glad that he was able to assist you. I hope that you have a flawless stay the next time.
Indianapolis, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Very warm and friendly staff. From the restaurant staff at breakfast to the housekeeping staff, always a friendly smile, "good morning", or to offer assistance. The concierge was a great assistance for getting us to Wrigley Field for a game. Room was clean and good sized. We did have a problem with the parking, but upon voicing our complaint, the matter was addressed quickly, and to our satisfaction. There is a fitness center that looked great, but we didn't get a chance to use it due to our schedule. This hotel is close to the airport, so expect to hear some air noise, but was not intrusive. Overall, highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HyattOHare, Manager at Hyatt Regency O'Hare, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Your recommendation is our biggest compliment! Our staff is truly what makes us a success, by how they act and what they do each and every day. We hope you have the opportunity to see us again soon.
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed here as a group for conference. Hotel is very nice, typical of the brand. It is convieniantly located to Ohare either by shuttle, or you can take the CTA Blue line one stop, and walk from the station which is a 10 minute walk away to the north. There is not much for food that isn't from the hotel restaurants, so buckle up for some bigger than average bills.

Room Tip: I heard you can ask for a "quiet room". This hotel is directly underneath the landing patt...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
While we love the food in O'H, Red, Perks and In Room Dining, if you are looking to get out of the hotel, there are more and more openings all of the time in the local area. The Village of Rosemont has really enjoyed some great development with all sorts of new restaurants, bars, a comedy club, and more is coming!
Triangle, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

When you have a hotel that is close to a major airport and next door to one of the world's largest convention centers, your business model isn't hard to figure out. The Hyatt O'Hare understands this model well and provides regular airport shuttle service, good staff at the bell stand and front desk, and a large breakfast buffet that runs for a long hours.

The rooms are a little short on amenities (no microwave or DVD player) and the bathroom in my room was very small. Also, the decor of the hotel is very dated. I hadn't seen so much brown and other earth tones since watching the Brady Bunch. None of these make a major difference to most business travelers who are using the hotel as a base for the going to the convention center.

We ran a couple of events inside the hotel and catering staff was excellent and the food quite good. They had everything ready on time and were flexible when our number needed for dinner increased at the last minute.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy the renovations completed to the interior of the building. I hope this did not overshadow the service you received for your meeting. We certainly understand how changes come up last minute and glad we were able to quickly accommodate your party.

Been to Hyatt Regency O'Hare? Share your experiences!