“Pleasant night at the Hyatt” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Stay More, Save More
Ranked #8 of 16 hotels in Rosemont
Lafayette, Indiana
“Pleasant night at the Hyatt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2007

You wouldn't know that I paid a fraction of the price most people pay for their rooms at the Hyatt by the way the staff treated me. The last
time I stayed here was for a convention in 1998, and it is just as nice if not better on this trip.

When I got lost on my way in, the concierge was very patient in getting me back on the right path. Also they staff went out of their way to provide me written directions to the airport when asked for them, which I apparently needed since even then I started out the wrong way.

The beds were a bit more firm than I like, but the rooms are spacious and comfortable. The towers are very quiet rooms. The hallway outside many other rooms face the open center of the hotel and I do not know if there is a noise difference.

Room service was plentiful, timely and nicely prepared.

The bathrooms were well stocked, clean and comfortable. The shower had
nice water pressure.

It isn't anywhere close to downtown Chicago, but if you need to be near the airport this was a good choice.

• Liked — near o'hare and great room service
  • Disliked — beds were a tad too firm
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

946 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

I have never been to a four star hotel that charged for internet. Here? 9.95 for 24 hours through a SEPARATE service. Meaning you can't even put it on your room tab. I know, odd to lead with that one, but it just shows HOW out of touch they are. They're a business travel hotel and the one thing every business traveler needs, they CHARGE EXTRA for and then make complicated in the way you purchase it. Especially for those of us who submit our travel bills when we get back. Now I have to wait a full month for my credit card bill to resubmit it.

Okay. On to the other frightening stuff.

Lookswise, this place is one hell of an ugly monolith. The restaurants are all WAY overpriced for the kind of food you could get at homestyle buffet or denny's. There is a fairly new gym, but it's packed to the gills. Clearly they underestimated business travel demand. Parking is 28 bucks a night. It's why I didn't get a rental car while I was there.

The rooms...the rooms are just not four star quality. I was in a corner room - 1075 - that was tucked into a spot that clearly used to be a broom closet of some sort. I could barely get around the outside of my king size bed in the space it was in.

Overall, if this was a two star hotel, I'd say, fine. It's crap. You paid 50 bucks for the night, it's fine. But this is somehow listed as a FOUR STAR HOTEL. And there is no way on god's green earth that a statement like that is in any way true. I got my room with a priceline discount and still feel that Hyatt mugged me.

• Liked — There was a very friendly guy who drove the shuttle...but wouldn't stop at the train station
  • Disliked — Paying for internet access AND doing so on a separate charge from my hotel bill
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scandia, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

I got blizzarded in about four years ago and it was a grim night at the Hyatt. It was *aged*. What a phenomenal transformation. No more nights at the Hilton at way higher prices. Great food. Great staff. Nice QUIET rooms. And it doesn't smell bad like it used to.

Stayed November 2007
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2007

The Hyatt is a large hotel just off the highway adjacent to the convention center near the airport. This hotel has pluses and minuses, but overall was very nice.

The Pluses: With a location just off the highway the hotel is a fast ride from O'Hare or Midway, and easy to traavel to other locations in the city if renting a car. The hotel has an enourmous lobby area that soars more than ten stories with glass enclosed elevators. Lobby has a "Mod" theme that in other hotels may be tacky but the Hyatt relly pulls it off -- much more like a modern museum of art. Lobby has two restaurants with bars that could compete with the best I have seen across the US. There are workstations for you to check in or out if you choose to do so by yourself and a set for printing boarding passes. These are not mandatory and the hotel staff were right there in case you wanted to check in/out the old fashioned way. The hotel has plenty of meeting space and service such as lunch, audio/visual, and fit & finish was very good. Rooms have a decidely more contemporary look and appear to have been renovated in the past five years. Very comfortable with beddings that can be purchased from Hyatt. Same for the soap and shampoo.

The Minuses: This may be just limited to the room I had as I arrived late when the hotel had a series of conferences. I was told my room was jus around the corner off the main lobby. I proceeded and ended walking past a stairway, down a hall and found different room numbers. As I turned around and walked back I saw a sign indicating my room was up the stairs. It was only one flight but no elevator access and only about eight rooms in what is essentially a small dead end hallway. It wasa very strange for a hotel of this stature to have rooms with limited access in an area that looked like it had previously been used for offices or lounge. In the bedroom there were just two nudges. First the desk chairs were exceedingly low and had no mechanisms for adjusting height, making it uncomfortable to work at the desk. The second nudge was the bath which was small. The toilet angled in at the corner so it would fit and the shower less than 3 feet square.There was a built in shelf that looked very nice but when seated you could see torn wallpaper beneath it (around one inch by six inch). Lastly is the sound and view. I had a view of a corner of the building and parking lot and, while it was muffled, I could hear jets taking off and landing. Not loud but I something like a loud gust of wind, as if I was in a wind storm.

I still ranked this high as for my purpose, a conference, it was above average and the staff were vry helpful. Most of all I cana say I really enjoyed my stay. The only improvement would have been to requst a room in one of the towers with a view but frankly I was here to work and the view was not important for this trip.

• Liked — Lobby and room
  • Disliked — Minor issue of view but there are plenty of rooms with better views
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

This hotel has everything I like in a great hotel.

Excellent service at the front desk.

Very nice public areas with sports bars and good restaurants.

Very nice, quiet rooms with excellent beds and bedding. The bathroom is beautiful with good soaps, shampoos, etc.

Good mini bar, although it's expensive.

On time, personalized wake up calls.

On time, excellent transporation to the airport.

I was very surprised and pleased with the quality of this Hyatt.

Excellent.

• Stayed October 2007
Marion, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

After a dismal first stay in August (all employee related and regarding a room booked via a travel agent) I decided to return to the Hyatt hoping for a fresh view. In total I have been to this hotel 12 times, 2 after their big remodel job.

First, let me get this out of the way; this is a business and convention hotel. It does not cater to families looking for a fun place to stay with the kids. The pool has been removed and the rooms, with their mini-bars, aren't too kid friendly. It's for travelers and business people who can put things on their expense account. You need to be a little travel savvy to figure things out, or be willing to ask employees.

That said...I was in town for a convention in the city and decided to stay in Rosemont to save a few bucks. I like the location near the airport and the Interstate.

When I was there parking was $15.00 including tax, and that is for in and out priveleges. Make sure you take your parking ticket with you to have validated at check in!

And yes, you will be asked to leave a credit card number "for incidentals". This includes mini-bar purchases, in room movies, etc. You can also charge meals in the bar or restaurant to your room and you'll be able to check-out in a jiffy. I have no complaints about this process since virtually every hotel I've stayed out in the last 3 years as asked for the same.

Hyatt is really trying to push the self check-in kiosks but the employees are more than ready to help you with them. In fact, they will take you through the entire process. You can still ask for room upgrades, etc when you are checking in. In the end the kiosk will spit out your key cards and a reciept that included walking directions to your room.

Rooms facing the interior atrium are a wee bit noiser, especially when the hotel is hosing a convention and there is a lot of hub bub going on in the lobby.

The rooms in the "Executive Wing" are more of a walk but are quieter.

This stay I opted for a Regency Club room and was given room #2506. These rooms are more expensive and much larger than the standred rooms. They feature a seperate sleeping and living area, a dining table with 4 chairs, a sofa, a wet bar and a small fridge in addition to the pricey mini-bar. The bathroom was a full sized tub and shower combo with a large vanity/sink. Some of the other rooms I have stayed in had a pedestal sink and a single stall shower.

The bedroom has it's own TV and a fullsized closet, along with nightstand and a hearboard that are built into the wall and a storage bench. The beds are like dream clouds, I slept great every night. The linens are soft and fluffy making me neither too hot nor too cold.

Decor is about the same as all the other rooms, same color scheme and wall art.

The literature for the hotel states that the Regency Club rooms are on the 29th floor and that they include bathrobes. Maybe there is another Regency Club up there that is even more expensive..I don't know..I do know that the 2 wings on the 25th floor were marked "Hyatt Gold Passport" so maybe they are reserved for members only, which I am.

I also had access to the Regency Lounge, to the left of check-in on the main lobby level. It's an upscale looking lounge where you can get alcoholic drinks plus complimentary internet access, coffee, juices, water, soda, snacks and light breakfast. They have pleny of comfy seating and a nice widescreen TV. Of course, it's reserved for Regency Club guests only, part of the perks for the extra price you pay.

The bar can be a noisy affair and the food options are limited to a few sandwiches, pizza and over priced appetizers. I can't comment on the alcohol prices or offerings.

The restaurant is better but no price break. Meals are served with free bread and butter and soft drink refills are complimentary. They offer a luncheon buffet what ran about 17.00$ a person. If you are looking to eat one filling meal a day you could make this worth the cost. Sandwiches are around 12.00$ and are served with fries.

Everywhere in the hotel it is clean and modern looking and you can see that Hyatt is attempting to bring the hotel into the "digital age", with the check-in kiosks, the TV screens, etc.

All employees this visit were friendly and attentive. I required the use of 2 different bellmen and found them to be courteous and gracious when I tipped them.

Over all it was a fantastic 2 nights and I will not hesitate to book this hotel again when I'm in the area.

A note to those who booked on priceline; you're getting a heck of a deal at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare, even if you do have to pay for parking. Every hotel in the O'Hare area charges for parking, and sometimes much more. Priceline once gave me the Hilton, located attached to the airport; parking there was $30.00 a night. If you want to advoid that, stay in Schaumberg at the Hyatt Woodfield, I've also reviewed that hotel.

• Liked — Location, quality of service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare in mid-September after “winning” the hotel via priceline. I chose the O’Hare area because I knew I could get a good rate, and all the hotels were near the blue line to downtown. I ended up getting the Hyatt for less than $60 a night, over half off their prevailing rates. I was a little skeptical after reading the reviews on here; however, I am happy to say my stay was great! I arrived to the hotel at about 10am after taking the blue line one stop from the airport. It was about a 6-8 minute walk from the station to the hotel, not bad at all. First impression was good, the lobby was very nice and open, with lots of places to sit and relax. I went up to one of the agents to try to check in and to my luck; they had rooms available (The hotel also has self service check in/out kiosks). Check-in was very quick and effortless, with no mention of priceline. I asked for a room that looked out towards the direction the airplanes land, and was given a room in the “executive tower”. The “executive tower” is the “L” shaped tower sort of behind the main complex. You go through the atrium and down a hall to get to the elevators for the executive tower. There were 3 elevators for the tower. My room was on the “27th” floor, which technically was the 7th floor, at the far end of the hallway, and was non-smoking as requested. The room had everything I needed, and was well worth the price I paid. Upon entering the room, directly in front of you was the closet, and the bathroom was to the right. The bathroom wasn’t huge, but was functional and was equipped with a tub/shower combination (with great water pressure). There was plenty of counter space as well. The room itself was spacious and had a very, very comfortable king size “grand bed” (as seen in the pictures). I slept great each night after coming back from downtown. There was a work desk, 2 large chairs, and plenty of drawer space. There was also a mini-bar, which I did not open or use. The TV was a regular tube TV, but had a good selection of channels, movies etc. There was also a radio, but it was not one of the newer Ipod compatible radios some Hyatt’s have. The temperature control worked pretty well though out my stay. The best part about the room, besides the bed, was my view!! I was able to see two different “landing paths” for O’Hare, with a non-stop flow of planes coming by. The noise at night was not bad at all, once asleep, I could not hear anything. I also had a distant view of downtown over the trees. The windows also open about 4in, which was nice to let the cool air in.

The public areas of the hotel were very nice, I know they just completed a multi-million dollar renovation of the lobby/public areas, and I was very impressed. I did not eat at the main restaurant, but it looked ok. On the last night, I did go to the Red bar, which was pretty cool. They have lots of plasma TV’s to watch sports or whatever. The food was ok, and the drinks were not too expensive. There is also a small, but expensive gift shop on the first floor. There is no pool at the hotel; however, there is a free 24 hour gym.

The hotel has a skywalk to the Convention center, and is nearby about 4 other hotels. There are no restaurants or convenience stores that are close by, with the exception of a McDonald's about a mile down the road. The hotel is also very close to the Theatre and there is a 16 screen Muvico theatre complex right down the street. I walked around the area to see what was around, and the area is very clean and safe. Supposedly the city is building the “Rosemont Walk”, a retail/entertainment area around the hotel; however, besides the movie theatres and 2 new hotels, I did not see much else happening. They were supposed to build a large family hotel/indoor water park nearby, but I believe that was cancelled.

The blue line is a very short walk from the hotel, and it takes about 45 minutes to get to downtown. They are doing work on the blue line to speed up the ride, and that should be fully completed in late 2008. The trains come about every 10 minutes. There is a Dunkin Donuts at the Rosemont station, which came in very handy!! Great coffee and great donuts!!!! I did go to the airport to eat dinner one day (food court in the international terminal is before security), and took the shuttle back to the hotel. The shuttles were always running and every time I left or came back to the hotel there were shuttles out front. I took the shuttle back to the airport after checking out and it was very convenient.

I gave the hotel 4 stars, as I think it has the potential once the rooms get renovated, which from what I understand that is going to happen in 2008. The public areas are up to par with a 4 star hotel. There were a lot of business people staying there, as well as families going to the different sporting events in town. I was very happy with my stay, and thrilled that I paid less than $60 a night to stay there. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would not hesitate to stay there again if I go back to Chicago.

• Liked — Comfortable bed, great views!
  • Disliked — Older TV's
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hyatt Regency O'Hare? Share your experiences!