“Good for airport hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
bangkok
“Good for airport hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

My first time staying in Doubletree. Very nice about warm cookie, especially it has been snowing outside. Stayed here in Jan. It was my first time in Chicago and it was freezing. Nothing special about the place but the bed was comfortable. Bathroom was a good size but shower door couldn't shut properly so got wet floor after. Room service closed early and won't let me order anything. Got the shuttle to the airport in early morning so didn't have much to say.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012 via mobile

Title says it all. Second really bad experience at a doubletree within a few months. I won't be staying at this chain again.

Stayed July 2011
Ruby M, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago O'Hare Airport - Rosemont, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
I am sorry to hear that we failed you during your stay here at the hotel. As you can read in previous reviews the customer service is one thing we really pride ourselves on. It is our goal to provide exceptional service to every guest, unfortunately it appears that we did not achieve that during your stay.

Warmest Regards,
Ruby M
Cookeville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Absolutely nothing to complain about regarding my experience.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high floor away from the elevators. The views are likely to be better and the tra...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
ESDTMGR, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago O'Hare Airport - Rosemont, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Dear David H:
Thank you for your positive comments on the DoubleTree by Hilton O'Hare Rosemont. We are located only 1.5 miles from O'Hare International Airport, so we agree that we are very convenient for guests who are traveling in the early morning. We look forward to your next stay.
Amanda Lynch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hilton Doubletree in Rosemont, Illinois near Chicago. The staff was very friendly. The room was excellent. It was clean and smelled nice. The bed was very comfortable and I loved the big soft pillows. The room also had a separate couch and a nice sized flat screen. The large bathroom had a separate tub and a large shower (4' x 5'). There is a nice little bar area to hang out at and eat if preferred. There is also a Gibson's Restaurant attached to the hotel. I understand that their food is excellent. It was only about 20 minutes from Midway. Free shuttle service was provided to and from the airport. I wouldn't normally stay at a Hilton due to the cost, but this was a company meeting.

Dear Pocho1,
Thank you for the positive comments on your stay here at the DoubleTree by Hilton O'Hare Rosemont. We are also fans of your comfy beds and large guestroom bathrooms. Just to clarfiy, our complimentary airport shuttle only goes to O'Hare airport not Midway. Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay.
Amanda Lynch
Ashland, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

I will break up my two night stay into two distinct categories. What the hotel CAN be expected to control and what they CANNOT be expected to be responsible for.

First the things the hotel CAN control: The shuttle bus from the airport took about an hour and ten minutes to pick me up. The bus rolled up once and was honked at by a huge bus and left us standing for about 40 more minutes. This is unacceptable. Then the bus driver drove 70 mph in a 45 zone on the way to the hotel. No one seemed to notice. The hotel lobby was very nice and the check in was quick. Although I am a Hilton Diamond they still would not take my credentials due to fact that I booked on Priceline for $50 per night. So when I went over to the bistro and had a rather nice dinner I got none of the HHonors points that everyone else did as a bonus. Oh, well. Easy come, easy go I guess. It's policies like this that the Hilton has imposed that make it much easier to give up my status this year. Once in the room it was very nice, extremely clean and clearly deserved the four star rating that Priceline (and others) have given it. The staff was friendly, spoke often and made me feel welcome. I took the shuttle back to the airport twice and it was prompt and the drivers were courteous. Room service was quick and relatively affordable but my Chicken Monterey was awful. Burned to a crisp. I didn't have the energy to send it back so I bought two Diet Cokes and choked it down. Very disappointing.

Now the things that the hotel really cannot control but might need to try to improve if possible. First, it's a no smoking facility but the smokers were all around on both the 6th floor and the 8th (one night each). The doors were close together but I found it very easy to close mine quietly. During the first night on floor #6 my closest neighbors slammed their door as hard possible about 30 times until approximately 2am. Then they were either reenacting the olympic games (all years in history) or were doing something I would rather not tell you about (with quite a bit of noise included for my enjoyment). That ended some time after 3:30am. By the way the room on the other side had their music playing as loud as it would go throughout much of the same time period. Like I say, the Doubletree cannot be responsible (completely) for rude guests but it does take away from the quality of the experience. So the next morning I asked for a new room and the desk clerk couldn't have been any nicer. I was moved to the 8th floor and left to tour the Downtown area of Chicago. Upon my return I wondered if the same people who had been on the 6th floor the night before had also moved. Slam, slam, slam, slam, slam (not necessary in any way). Plus, the Marlboro man must have been nearby because the smoke was nonstop all night long. So there you have it. Far from a trouble free stay but I have traveled too much to expect the hotel to "control" rude people who also are idiots. So I don't blame the Doubletree and I do plan to return. But I had a much better experience at the Hyatt across the street sometime last year. And I am sorry that a Hilton Diamond isn't a Hilton Diamond unless he/she agrees to pay three times as much for the same room. Wake up Hilton. Your Diamond members of the future will not be regular travelers like me but only those who have companies who pay for their rooms.

Room Tip: I was not offered any "room choice" since I was a Priceline guest.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

Writing this review from my hotel room. Checked in today. Very nice, helpful, and polite staff. I'm a Hilton HHonors Gold member and check-in was super fast, got automatically upgraded to a large corner king room and was given a warm chocolate chip cookie as soon as I arrived. Spacious room, clean, and relatively quiet.

Issues I've had so far:

In-room Internet access is free for HHonors Gold and Diamond members, but I could not sign on using my HHonors userID and password - at first the authentication server on Hilton's side appeared to be down. Even after it came up I was still unable to sign on. Called the front desk, verified that my signon info wasn't working, and then was told to try entering a promo code that also failed. Finally I was instructed to just select the standard billed Internet access option and the charge would be removed on checkout.

TV: 32" LCD is OK, but extremely slow channel tuning and a lot of the channels are jacked up - garbled signal, audio not synced with video, etc. Not sure if this is an issue with the hotel's TV system or their cable/satellite provider.

Parking: garage is large, dark and somewhat intimidating. If I was a female I would feel very uncomfortable walking alone in the garage. Also, for in/out privileges you need to take your parking ticket to the front desk every time before you go out to get it validated. Also somewhat expensive ($20).

Aside from that, the facilities are nice and location is minutes from ORD. Overall I'm enjoying my stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
ESDTMGR, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago O'Hare Airport - Rosemont, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Doubletree O'Hare Rosemont. We are glad that you were welcomed warmly as a Hilton HHonors member (and of course the yummy cookie). Thank you for notifying us about the TV situation. We will make sure to review this with our engineering department. I apologize that you had trouble logging into the internet. Hilton's internet system has had some outages in the last few weeks and unfortunately it disrupts our customer's service.

We hope you will choose to stay with us in the future.
Amanda
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I was very pleased with this hotel, which is pretty close to O'hare and provides free shuttle service to and from the airport. I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and from the moment I checked in I had a pleasant stay. From the free chocolate chip cookie at check-in, to the quiet room, to the nice on-site restaurants. My room was a nice size, clean, and quiet. The bathroom was also a nice size and I liked that the bathtub and the shower were separate; I really liked the big shower. Another thing I liked was that the trash cans in the rooms have separate bins for regular trash and recycleables. My room didn't have a closet but it did have a clothes armoire. I had planned to use it but it had a bad odor so I chose not to use it. It was alright because I liked the coat hooks near the door and hung my coat and clothing from them. The ironing board seemed a bit old and the ironing board cover had a big hole, which I didn't like too much. Another thing that I didn't like is that when I pulled the blankets away from the top sheet, there was a stain on the sheet. I was grossed out by that but I just moved to the other bed, which was stain free.
The two on-site restaurants were pretty good. I ordered a salad from BC Bistro and Lounge. The salad was huge and much bigger than I expected. It was good, too. The breakfast buffet didn't offer a lot of options but it was good, too. The other restaurant, Gibson's Steakhouse, was delicious. My steak was cooked just the way I like it, the side dishes were yummy, and the dessert was so good.
I was at this hotel for business and the meeting rooms were nice, too, and I especially liked the huge mezzanine foyer, which provided a nice area for us to practice our presentations in the evenings. The food and snacks that were provided to us by the hotel during our meetings were okay.
Overall this hotel was great and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I had a room on the second floor. It was quiet. I slept pretty well and I'm a light sleeper.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review the DoubleTree by Hilton O'Hare Rosemont. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We apologize for the cleanliness issue that occurred during your stay. We would hope you would bring this to our attention while still on property so we can remedy the issue immediately. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you (and your company) choose the DoubleTree O'Hare in the future.

Amanda
Director of Revenue Management

Been to Doubletree Hotel Chicago O'Hare Airport - Rosemont? Share your experiences!