“Could Be Great, But They Seem to Settle” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Rosemont
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Could Be Great, But They Seem to Settle”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Checked in last night for a 1 night stay before my 2PM flight. I booked a regular room, but was automatically upgraded the day before to an Executive Suite. I'm a new SPG Platinum as of late last year.

Given the construction, you have to drive around to the side entrance where there's no one to help you with your bags. Not sure if they normally have people or not, but they didn't yesterday. Made our way to the makeshift "Front Desk" where there was a line of people waiting to check in. I went up to see if there was a SPG Gold/Platinum check in but there was not. Not a big deal.

We received our suite (though I'm guessing it was because it was an auto-upgrade, and not because the FD was looking out for me). No mention of any amenities (breakfast option, wifi, late checkout, etc). I inquired what the Platinum breakfast option was and was told it was a "continental." Very insightful. We just decided to take the points instead, given we weren't having the best start to our stay.

The elevators are not working in the lobby, so you have to walk down the hallway to the narrow escalators to the Lower Lobby where you can then take the elevators to your room.

The room itself was nice and spacious, though we could have used a door to close off the bedroom to allow my toddler to nap in peace. But I won't complain since we were very happy to be upgraded to a suite in the first place.

As people mentioned, there were no bottles of water in the room (complimentary or otherwise) and the mini-fridge was empty. We actually prefer that so we can keep our kid's food in there, but just something to know if you're a business traveler or want convenient refreshments. We did have a set of Westin shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion though.

Check out was "efficient" in that I wanted to see my bill before leaving, but the 1 front desk agent at 12PM (normal check out time) was talking with someone who seemed to be a guest, but could have also been a personal friend. So instead of finishing up with the guest in front of me, she abruptly just said "you can leave your keys here and we'll email you the final bill." Fine with me, though I'll have to check to make sure I wasn't charged for in room wifi.

FYI, Wifi in the room came in 3 different speed packages. We just picked the $17.99 top speed package under the assumption an SPG Platinum wouldn't be charged. We weren't.

The airport shuttle was every 30 minutes on the hour/half hour. It arrived exactly at 11:55AM and we were on our way by 12:01.

Room Tip: Some regular rooms on the 12th Floor have very high ceilings and some people prefer those over the l...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Susan T, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin O'Hare, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Westin O’Hare.
We strive to ensure every guest has a true Westin experience.
After reading your feedback, I see we could have done better.
I truly apologize for the lack of amenities during your stay.
Our renovation is moving forward but I cannot deny there are always challenges.
I am very sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced.
I have made sure that all managers are aware of your very helpful feedback.
We are working very fast and furious so that we may provide our guests a beautiful brand new front lobby with restaurant and pub.
I truly am so sorry that is was such a disappointing stay for you.
We truly appreciate your business and was pleased that you did choose our property.
I do appreciate your loyalty to the Starwood brand. Congratulations on your Elite Platinum SPG status.
I am the Westin Experience Leader at our property and I welcome you to reach out to me if I may assist you with anything.

Best Regards,
Susan T.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Bristol, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was looking for a park and fly hotel close to the airport and expressway and the Westin O'Hare fit the bill perfectly!! We checked in on Friday late afternoon, no one else at check in, got our room key and we were on our way to our room within 10 minutes. They were doing some renovations but nothing that bothered us at all.
Room was very large, with a lovely full length wall mirror which I loved. Beds were very comfy but too soft for me but still very nice. Could see the planes coming in but heard absolutely nothing, it was very quiet which is a huge plus for me.
We walked over to Giordano's for dinner which was only about a 10 minute walk very convenient but it was pretty cold. Pizza was great!! Anytime there is a Giordano's near a hotel we are staying at that is where we always end up for dinner!!!
Came back to the hotel had some pool and hot tub time. We had the entire area to ourselves which was great. My son loved the pool and hot tub.
There is a very nice workout area with many machines and weights back in the corner.
We left our car there for the 10 days that we were allowed, parking is right behind the hotel which is very nice. After we parked in the lot I just had to go down to the reception desk give them the ticket that we got upon entering the parking area and they gave us a key to swipe upon exit when we were ready to leave the hotel when we returned.
When we returned to O'Hare we were directed where to go to get the local hotel shuttles and the shuttle for the Westin was already there waiting which was fantastic since it was so cold!!! We jumped on and in about 5 minutes we were heading back to the Westin to pick up our car.
The only issue that we had was the key that they gave us to use to leave the parking lot would not work so we had to park the car and go back into the hotel and get another key. Not a big deal as it was probably our fault. It probably got demagnetized some how during the week. They were great gave us another key and we were on our way.
I would certainly stay at this hotel again and recommend to others.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time towrite such a detailed review regarding your recent stay at the Westin O'Hare.
We strive to ensure every guest has a true Westin experience.
I have made sure that all managers are aware of your very helpful feedback.
We are greatful that your experience was so positive. We appreciate your patience during our renovation time.
We are working very fast and furious so that we may provide our guests a beautiful brand new front lobby and restaurant.
I do appreciate your loyalty to the Starwood brand.
Piedmont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I expect Westin properties to provide a high level of service, clean and well appointed rooms, also extras. This is true at the O'Hare location. During the renovation, a change in restaurant location did not lower the food quality or service, nor did I find the noise disturbing ( I'm a light sleeper). I was thrilled with the renovations in both common areas and rooms. Staff are helpful and knowledgeable of area. This hotel lives up to the reputation of "Westin"

Room Tip: I prefer to be at the end of the hall on an upper floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank You !!!!! I really appreciate the wonderful review that you wrote regarding your recent stay at the Westin O'Hare. Obviously, you were here during our renovation period and you still had such positive feedback. I was very happy to see that your stay was so rejuvenating.
We appreciate all the kind words as well as your loyalty to Starwood properties.
We cant wait for your return after our renovation is complete!
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My advice is not to book this hotel for the time being. It is under construction and I don't know when it will be completed. Although the rooms are standard for Westin and nice; a lot of them have been remodeled, it's not worth the stay. Access to rooms is timely. Construction during daytime hours. Limited restaurant menu. Food just so-so. Unless you are having a meeting there. Book somewhere else.

Stayed February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Westin O'Hare.
We strive to ensure every guest has a true Westin experience.
I truly thank you for the feedback regarding your stay.
I see we could have done things better. I truly apologize that you were disappointed in the property . Renovation does put some challenges on our plate, but the end result will be fabulous. We truly appreciate you understanding.
I will pass along your feedback to our team. It is truly very helpful.
Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts.
We truly appreciate your business and look forward to your return.
Plymouth, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I stayed at the Weston before leaving for a trip to Florida. Check-in was very quick and room was absolutely beautiful. The hotel was very quiet and I was able to get some great sleep. Parking for up to 10 days was part of my room package. I had to be at the airport at 2:30 AM and was given a wake-up call by an actual person and the shuttle was waiting for me at the door. When I returned from my trip at 4:20 AM, I called the shuttle and it was there withing minutes to take me back to my car which I had left at the Weston in a secure parking area. Very convenient and the courtesy by all employees including my visit it the hotel gift shop/convenience store was appreciated.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Susan T, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin O'Hare, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
It was wonderful to have read such a rewarding review.
I thank you for taking the time to write one.
I was so pleased that you had such a rejuvenating stay at the Westin O'Hare.
Thank you for all the kind words about our staff. I will be sure to pass them along.
We really appreciate your loyalty and look forward to a speedy return.
Thanks so much.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Sometimes the word "awesome" is used all over the place, but this awesome means something different. This Hotel is awesome in every way. The Elevators are fast and get you where you need to go fast, and the rooms are beautiful. The view from the room I stayed in had a nice view of the CTA Station "I like trains" and Downtown. I would recommend this.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if possible. All rooms are quiet. If you need WIFI- Go to McDonalds.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Susan T, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin O'Hare, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such an "awesome" review.
We really appreciate all your kind words about your recent stay at the Westin O'Hare.
It means alot to us. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your return.
Thank you!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed there with my wife and a 4 year old while on our way to Puerto Rico. Rooms was clean, didn't seem outdated and didn't have any visible signs of mold or wear and tear.

Didn't eat at the hotel but the front desk staff was helpful in getting us menus for local pizza delivery and such.

Only used the pool and a hot tab from their facilities and all appeared to be clean and proper.

Overall, I think it was a good deal for the money (we paid about $85 or so).

The only staff member we interacted with at front desk was very friendly, room was clean, quiet and eerything appeared to be in order.

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from elevator and got one in the end of the hallway.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Susan T, Public Relations Manager at The Westin O'Hare, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for the really kind review.
I am thrilled that we were able to provide you with exceptional service and that you were delighted with your stay.
We appreciate your loyalty to Starwood and we cant wait for you to return after our lobby renovation is completed.
Thank you.

Been to The Westin O'Hare? Share your experiences!