“GEM in Roselle!” 4 of 5 stars

630-283-0053
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
8000 Miles is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 39 Restaurants in Roselle
Cuisines: Asian fusion
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
illinois
“GEM in Roselle!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was our second visit to 8000 Miles in the past month. We are huge fans of TL's in Bartlett (same owners) and 8000 Miles is similar, but a smaller menu. The space is larger than TL's with high ceilings and has a "downtown" feel to it. Soft lighting, dark wood, a bar in the back, a little noisy so you can have a conversation with your friends and not worry about being too loud or everyone hearing it. They even have a semi-private room that I supposed would work well for a party.

However it is all about the food after all! The menu provides traditional Chinese favorites, Sushi, Thai, and changing specials. There is lots of flexibility with ordering dishes the way you like them, which people appreciate, We started with dumplings, regular and spicy, both good. I also had the Chicken Dumpling soup, which was nice on a cool night. Would be a great combo with sushi for a lighter dinner. Last visit I had the Shrimp with asparagus - excellent. One of the best stir fry dishes I have ever had. Light, great sauce. My husband has ordered 6 or 7 different types of sushi (on 2 visits) - all well presents and very fresh. This visit my daughter and I split the pad thai. It was very spicy - more than I like but it was still good with tasty chicken that had been freshly cooked, not sitting in a bin all evening. Will be trying the vegetables with tofu on my next visit for sure!

Drinks - Good wine selection, GREAT beer selections and some interesting tiny cocktails. Stick with the beer or wine.

Service - Excellent on both visits - I wish I would have gotten the servers names to give them props here. Friendly and professional!

Crowd - all ages - families, dates, groups of friends. LOVE it! A true neighborhood place where you can dress up or come as you are. Owner Shaun passed through twice to greet diners and he stopped to chat with us. I love this about 8000 Miles. When you put a face on your business, and show people you want them to have a good experience - it keeps them coming back!

We will make 8000 Miles a regular stop for dinner at least once per month. An awesome experience without going downtown!

• Visited September 2013

Roselle, Illinois
“Super service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The girls at the front counter and our server were extremely welcoming and friendly. Service was prompt and attentive.
We had pot stickers and spring rolls. To me, the pot stickers were exactly the same as those you buy frozen at Sam's, and make at home. I like them, but they are not special. Spring rolls were crispy and piping hot.
We had Basil garlic chicken and Orange peel chicken. Portions were generous, hot and tasty.
Server brought more rice, after noticing we had finished the first bowl. She knew the menu well and was happy to answer any questions.
The atmosphere is definitely more upscale than the usual Chinese restaurant. Pretty classy, in fact.
I would like to go back and try some other items.

• Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“After reading a newspaper article about 8000 Miles,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

we decided to try it for lunch. It is a rather large space, open ceilings, nicely appointed. There is a bar located in the back of the restaurant. This is not a traditional neighborhood Chinese restaurant...it is an upscale place that happens to serve Asian food. Everything we had was quite tasty. The hot & sour soup was quite good and we sampled the scallion pancake roll...a dish we have not seen around here before. It was quite tasty. We also tried their Crazy Roll Maki and it was quite tasty. I don't know if it was a lunch portion or this is their normal portion, but there were only 5 pieces on the plate--arranged beautifully. It was quite good but I could have eaten more. There were some unique desserts although we opted to pass...this could be a fun experience with good food but definitely not a neighborhood restaurant...hope they make it...the track record in this area has been poor.

Chicago, Illinois
“8000 Miles...should have kept going.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

After reading numerous great reviews on Yelp - and on here - we thought that this new restaurant in our neighborhood would be a great place to go to dinner when my brother came to town.

I had the 7 Flavor Chicken - and it had essentially two flavors - brown grease and sugar.

My wife had the Gluten Free Chicken - and the waiter was endlessly confused about what it was or wasn't coated with - bringing it out "with" a coating of something - and pulling it out from under her nose to say it was cooked wrong - only to bring it back a few minutes later saying it was "...fine, really, just fine..."

My brother had a beef with broccoli dish - and the beef had been prepared the same way as the chicken - brown grease and sugar.

The menu says that the chef brought these recipes from Ching Chong (really!), which is "...exactly 8000 miles from Roselle..." These recipes for sure didn't need to make the trip.

And the service was "earnest" and friendly - but he couldn't get the plates straight and had trouble explaining the menu.

Not likely to become a Roselle fixer or fixture.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
illinois
“Great Start for this New Eatery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

When I heard that Roselle was getting a restaurant specializing in Asian Fusion, I thought it was either a joke or a really bad idea. The Italian restaurant down the block just bit the dust, and everyone loves Italian---could a small town really support such a specialized themed eatery as this?

We tried it out. It's a pretty big place for this town. Airy and bright too. Big menu, everything from the usual Chinese dishes ( sweet & sour, General Tso's, Lo Mein)... to sushi... to their own signature dishes. Our server mentioned that they get fresh seafood delivered 7 mornings a week. There's a full bar with some interesting specialty drinks and a house made ginger ale that is superb. We had crab rangoon appetizers which were not only delicious but beautifully presented. The member of our party who had sushi pronounced it delicious and the others sampled the very generous and fresh signature dishes, which come with a big bowl of white rice on the side. Service was friendly and prompt. Prices were moderate.

As one other person mentioned, the only suggestion for improvement I have would be for them to figure out something to tone down the crowd noise on busy nights. Some acoustic tile on the ceiling perhaps?

We will be back. Hope others discover this place and that it does well.

• 5 of 5 stars Food