“Not too Terrible” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort

Save Saved
You added Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort to your Saves list
Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 West Riverside Blvd, Rockford, IL 61103 (Formerly Lexington Hotel at Cliffbreakers' Riverside Resort)   |
Ranked #15 of 24 hotels in Rockford
Dayton, OH
“Not too Terrible”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

At first I was very skeptical of this hotel. Our friends had there reception and the only reason that we stayed was because we could not find any other hotels close by. After reading the reviews on this website I was scared and asked my fiance if we could go somewhere else. His friends had already booked their room at $130 a night when my fiance booked his at $60 (alternate website).

I have two tips for anyone planning on staying at Cliffbreakers:
1. Book through travelocity or a webiste similar to it NOT through the Cliffbreakers website.

2. Book your room through Comfort Suites NOT cliffbreakers (*same hotel) because it is much much cheaper.

3. Ask for a room on the 4th floor (1 floor above the main lobby) because the rooms on the lower floors smell mildewy.

Several friends stayed in this hotel as well, one found a cockroach in their bed, another's AC wouldnt work, the third's room smelled like mildew.

However, my only complaint of my room at this hotel was that the room smelled like smoke. Although it is smoke free, it smelled as though it hasnt always been that way.

The beds were so comfortable and the staff was accomidating.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
The_Hotel_Management, The Hotel Management at Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort, responded to this review, January 12, 2008
Cliffbreakers was purchased by new owners only a few months before this guest's stay with us.

First, we are 100% committed to all our guests having a great experience and regret that there is anything that causes a guest to be anything less than thrilled. We're sorry we did not live up to the standards this guest expected and deserves.

Several things that should ensure this is not an issue going forward include:

1. New ownership

2. We have an entirely new management staff, starting with our hotel and housekeeping teams.

3. We've made countless improvements to the property during 2007, including newly detailed rooms and upgraded amenities

4, New Executive Chef. Chef Philippe was raised and trained in France and is the region's top chef.

5. We've re-branded the hotel from a Comfort Inn Suites to a Lexington Hotel. This is much better for our property and has eliminated some of the issues raised by this TripAdvisor member.

We would be delighted to have a chance to make things right for this customer and would encourage her to call the hotel any time and ask for either the Hotel Manager (Kristen) or General Manager (Michael) and we'll do all we can to make sure she has the experience which she deserved the first time.

163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Northern IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

I attended a Toastmasters conference at this hotel last weekend. We had probably 300 attendees, and were booked into two rooms for the evening banquet.

In the afternoon, we learned we were being crammed into one room because there was going to be a wedding on each side of us.

The music from one wedding was so loud, we literally couldn't hear our own program--and for a group devoted to public speaking, that made being there pretty darned pointless. The PA system was muddy and inadequate, even before the music started (my husband said it sounded like it was made by Fisher Price). For part of the evening it was standing room only, and that was for people who had paid $10 each to attend a special program.

All of the rooms are laid along along a single, VERY narrow hallway, so when we were standing outside our too-small room, we were constantly being pushed aside by staff wheeling giant trollies full of food. Plus, to get from our hospitality/registration room to the banquet, you had to walk and walk and walk and walk.

I overheard one guest say she's been coming to Toastmasters conferences for 37 years, and this was the worst one ever. The management of this hotel should be ashamed of itself for treating us like that just so they could make money off a more lucrative event.

Bottom line: lousy acoustics, lousy layout, terrible service. I can safely say they will never have to deal with our group again.

Stayed June 2007
Woodstock, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2007

I stayed at the Cliffbreakers for a three day conference. From the moment I arrived, I knew that the stay would be wonderful. The lobby is absolutely beautiful and everywhere you turn there are new antiques to see.

At check-in, the front desk staff was cheerful and accommodating. Everything was ready and there were no problems.

My room was large with a king size bed and a whirlpool tub. That was a nice upgrade that is strongly suggested.

I ordered room service the first night. The food arrived hot. I must say that it was exceptionally good, too. The proportions were generous. They even thought to bring me warm rolls and butter.

Throughout my stay, I encountered banquet staff that was always polite and helpful, even when my questions had nothing to do with what tasks they were doing at the time. I cannot say enough good things about the staff at all levels.

The food provided for the conference was also excellent. Once again the proportions were generous, the menu was bold considering the amount of people that needed to be fed, and it was very, very good. The food arrived hot, as usual, and since all conversation stopped whent the food arrived, I can only assume my tablemates thought the food was very excellent, also.

Twice I ate at the hotel for dinner. Both times were great. The wines that were available were most wonderful. As I prefer reds, I stayed with them and was not disappointed.

My last day there, before leaving, I had lunch at the hotel. If ever you are there for lunch, I suggest the Angus burger. I tend to judge resturaunts on the burgers. This is a very good resturaunt.
If you like salads, I had the walnut and cherry salad. There were generous helpings of cherries and walnuts in the salad along with lots of blue cheese. Most wonderful!

My favorite dinner selection was the orange, ginger sea scallops. The scallops were large and the sauce flavorful without being overpowering.

Overall my experience at Cliffbreakers was a "10". I have recommended this place to everyone I met. The view of the Rock River can't be beat, either!

• Liked — The food.
  • Disliked — The layout of the building, but it is necessary for the views of the river.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
We're so pleased that you had such a great experience. Our French Executive Chef, Philippe, is the best in the region. He has totally re-worked the menu, we have upgraded the hotel (now with double the river-view tables) and we have a great new wine list (believed to be tops in the region).

We're keeping the menu fresh and there are usually great specials. Try our Friday Seafood Buffet or Sunday Brunch!!

Thanks again for the kind words. Please do come back and ask to be introduced to our manager. We're working hard to delight our guests each and every visit.
Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2007

I had two issues with this property, on the first day the lock on my door literally broke. If you were outside the room, you could not get
in. They had to tear it apart. This took several hours and involved several different maint. people in and out of my room. Very inconvenient since I had a schedule to stick to. To top it all off after they did fix it, the key card wouldn't work and I had to go back to the front desk for a new one.

Secondly, the wallpaper was falling off the ceiling and there was some type of gooey, icky, brown substance on the walls in my room, bathroom, and all over my vent. When I called and reported it, they said they would look into it but never did.

I did have a nice view of the river but there was no screen on my window. This is very dangerous as you could open the window all the way, a child could fall out very easily.

This antique hotel needs some serious rennovation work done.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
We're sorry the room did not live up to the expectations of this guest (or our hotel). We understand this was frustrating and apologize.

The hotel was purchased just a few months prior to this guest's experience and there were a number of repairs that needed to be done (clearly her door being one such repair).

Since then, we've got an entirely new management and maintenance team. We've been working hard to complete a thorough inspection and maintenance on every room.

We've also changed hotel brands (now a Lexington Hotel) which has brought about many many fresh new changes.

We would enjoy the chance to show this guest that her experience was not representative of how the hotel is managed since the new ownership/management took over.

chicago ill
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

I have stayed here several times, and this was the last. The fire alarm went off, the ice machine on our floor was broken, the breakfast area not clean, and the management refuses a refund for an unused room do to an injury. The hotel was not even close to being sold out, so it's not like they were turning any one away. We are in Rockford twice a year for tournaments, and thank heavens there are plenty of other hotels. The rooms were ok, but the heat level in each room difficult to manage. One couple in our group had to change rooms 3 times, in order to find one that was satisfactory. Biggest issue is don't book here if you don't intend to stay - the hotel will take your money either way. While the one staff member I directly dealt with during my stay was fine, the management was rude. Since all they care about is making a buck, it just cost them the evquivelant of 8 rooms, twice a year. There are plenty of nearby hotels with better amenities, and in better proximity to the expressway. For an out of the way hotel, they certainly don't put their customers first!!!!! If at all possible, avoid this location!!

• Disliked — Management has terrible understanding of what customer satisfaction is.
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2007

We attended a banquet for 260 persons. The food was excellent and the
service was very timely. Beautiful view of the Rock River.

• Liked — Unique decorations in Lobby, and excellent river view
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
The_Hotel_Management, The Hotel Management at Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2008
Glad you had such a great time at the banquet. We work hard to make sure these large events are well timed. Serving a couple hundred (or a couple of thousand) all at once is quite an operational task.

Good food and service is critically important to our customers. In addition to this, we're so proud of our great river-view rooms and decks and think the antiques, fireplaces and historic bar areas make the location as special as the food and service -- remember, we have hired on Rockford's top chef to run our kitchen......

We appreciate you letting us know about your great experience and look forward to your next return!
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

We have stayed here three times in the last several years, and we have always been pleased. The rooms were very clean, the amenities very nice, and the in-room whirlpool tub is a great way to relax. As a business traveler, it's nice to have an extra-comfortable, pillow-top premium bed and a quiet night's sleep, and the view's even very nice! We looked out our window and saw the river and assorted wildlife. The breakfast is above-average, as well.
We have always had a delicious meal at the restaurant, too.

• Liked — the great sleeping environment
  • Disliked — nothing in particular
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Great to know you enjoyed your stay so much. Many prospective guests do not know about our whirlpool suites or our bi-level suites (great for families with kids).

We've invested in great new bedding (pillow top) and have very upscale towels and bathroom amenities.

Of course, we're proud of what no other hotel in the area can boast -- our great views of the river and our fantastic property full of beautiful antiques.

Thanks again for letting us know our hard work is making a difference and delighting guests!!

Been to Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort? Share your experiences!