“So disappointed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort

You added Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort to your Saves list
Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 West Riverside Blvd, Rockford, IL 61103 (Formerly Lexington Hotel at Cliffbreakers' Riverside Resort)   |
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Rockford
Springfield, Illinois
“So disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Reserving a king jacuzzi loft suite hoping for comfort and clean and we will never stay here again. The is an odor walking into the hotel, phones don't work, dead mouse in pool, swimming pool area has not been cleaned for years ( dust and dead bugs don't lie). Room was barely liveble, no screens on the windows, fireplace didn't work, stains all over the carpet, mildew in shower, yuck yuck Yuck

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Cliffbreakers, Director of Sales at Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort, and telling others about your experiences with us. We have received a lot of positive comments in regards to our river location and superior guest service. We are in the process of renovating our rooms and improving our overall facility so that we can provide a positive guest experience. Your comments have become a valuable tool in prioritizing our to-do-lists. We appreciate you as a guest, and we hope to regain your confidence in a future stay.

Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Westchester, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I'm not sure if this will reach the appropriate person or persons but I have to say I was very disappointed with our stay at your hotel. Although the rooms are very clean they are not maintained. The first room we had had lights burned out , the a/c in the loft was not working properly and the phone was not turned on , none of which was addressed during normal work hours so at 12:30 in the morning I was forced to go down to the front desk to change rooms. It was a more expensive room which I was promised I would not have to pay for and if I did not mention at check out time would have been charged for. The Internet or FREE Wi-Fi is a joke , the only way to even get close to a signal is down in the lobby , there is no way to get it from a room, it is not something to boast about. When we tried to enter the pool on 6/16 at 2:50 p.m. it was locked (with a key) and we were told the person who had the key was not in until 3p.m. , I'm not sure if anyone else was concerned before us but I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. The view of the Rock River from the rooms facing East are great but there was no where to just sit an relax to enjoy it , everything was off limits due to parties , weddings etc. nothing for the guest since your famous Tiki Bar is closed and looks like a dump , at least the wait staff have somewhere to smoke. You are lucky I did not let my wife handle the check out it would not have turned out good for anyone , why I paid for the worst Birthday (50th) and Fathers Day , I'll never know. What I do know are people well connected in the Rockford area who are politicians and have business' close to your hotel that I have warned about not expecting what they are promised on your website. It is really a shame you have let the building and grounds go down as this place has the potential to be a real money maker, especially being off of Rock River.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cliffbreakers, Director of Sales at Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
I apologize for your unfortunate experience. We are currently in a remodeling phase as we had recently been taken under a new management company. This is a transition for us...however we have been able to make some immediate upgrades with the recent completion of a new fitness center, upgraded to flat screen televisions, upgraded our internet service, purchased a new van for shuttle service and so much more planned for 2014 as we will be moving towards being a Choice Family Hotel. In regards to your comments about the pool we have a notice on our website that stating that it is closed for remodeling and as a lesson to our staff we will be notifying them at check in. The timing for completing the pool renovation is by April 30th or before.

Again we apologize for the inconvenience, and we hope that we will be able to regain your confidence on a future stay.
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I ended up spending a night in Rockford during a road trip. This hotel showed up on Hotwire so I booked it. I knew we were in trouble when we pulled up to this large hotel and it had five cars in the parking lot. Inside it was clean but really, really dated. I doubt anything has been updated since 1970. The staff (the one person we saw working there all night) was very friendly and the view of the river was nice.

Overall If I had to do it again I would stay at one of the newer properties along I-90 instead of this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Des Moines, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Our two nights at Lexington Hotel left us wishing someone could invest the time and money to really make this gem shine. The location overlooking the river is lovely, but they haven't fully exploited the advantages of this setting. Our room was spacious and clean, but we would have loved a balcony. The deck off the dining room is an inviting setting, but it needs some spruing up and some nice outdoor chairs. The hotel is also filled with interesting art and antiques, and a "self-guided tour" brochure would be a nice idea. Still...it was a pleasure staying here, and we'd welcome the chance to do so again. It was nice to have eggs, fried potatoes and sausage for breakfast, and there was a nice assortment of coffee and juice, too.

Room Tip: Be sure you get a room overlooking the river!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Only stayed one night and it was enough... Don't get me wrong it was clean and bed were comfortable, but it was like going back to a 1970 seaside resort. Furniture and decoration seemed to be out of an horror movie.

There was a sweet and nasty smell in the lobby which didn't help digest the lukewarm breakfast.

There was some problem with our booking.com reservation, they only had us for one room when we reserved for 3. Management upgraded us in a large suite which was greatly appreciated.

Room were comfortable if you can get past the decoration.

Overall not bad for the area I guess... So if the look is not something important for you, staff is great, clean and comfortable rooms, but much better once your eyes are closed

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Let me start out by saying I am recently having to find a place in the Rockford area 5-6 times a month for work. I can say either I watch too much Hotel Impossible or this is not the place I will be spending $500.00 per month plus meals and drinks. I come across the Lexington Hotel close to where I want to be and the attraction of having a restaurant and bar attached to them would work out well. Keep in mind this is in the middle of a snow storm that started this morning let up and then started again. When I arrived at the hotel the lot going into the hotel and the hotel parking lot had not been plowed. There is little to no lighting marking the way. I turn down a small un-plowed opening and slide my way into a parking spot 50 yards from the door. There are maybe 5 or 6 cars total in lot, but not many spaces that looked easy to get into from snow. I grab my stuff and make my way through 4-5 inches of snow to the front door and over to the desk. Check in process goes well until the after conversation.
1. Phone does not work use your cell phone to get a hold of us at this number if you need anything.
2. $50.00 hold on your credit card for incidentals? ummm ok!
3. Non smoking room $200.00 charge if you smoke!
3. Breakfast is from 6:30 to 9:30
4. Your room is at the end of the hall next to the exercise room. (with the blaring tv)

Upon entering room I do the typical walk around make sure I am not going to get charged for incidentals (joking) just to see what is what. All lampshades are torn or have holes in them. Carpet has multiple stains biggest one being in front of tv. Night stand has some sort of drips/drops of something on it. Not sure what it is and didn't want to know. The overall decor of the room was 1980's red and flowery with brass lamps and light fixtures. Room is large in size for the type and bathroom is in pretty good shape. Overall cleanliness of the rest of the room is moderately acceptable. If I say anymore you know I watch too many episodes of Hotel Impossible and I don't want to ruin the review and have people think I am just picky. I get all settled in walk down the hall to the front desk and say how do I get to the restaurant and bar. He says it is closed because of the snow storm. I say well shoot any other suggestions he says yes the bar across the parking lot should be open. (now would be a good time to call and see if I were providing great customer service) I hesitate for a minute and wanted to say something but I went back to my room grabbed my jacket and ventured on. Needless to say I was disappointed in the overall experience. I am thinking this is a summer destination that looks beautiful from the outside being right on the river but if it wants to make money in the winter it better look for business travelers like myself to help it along. Good luck to you in the future my friends at Lexington Hotel you wont be seeing me again. I may add more after my nights sleep to comment on the breakfast and sleep quality.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Grant, it is not your standard hotel and if that is what you re looking for, the Cliffbreaker's may not suit your needs--BUT, if you are open to staying in a wonderfully decorated, older hotel, you just can't beat the experience you will have there. We had a two story suite, with a full bath, kitchenette, dining table, fireplace, sitting area and TV downstairs and a work station, bedroom and full bath upstairs. Due to the purpose of our visit to Rockford (and in part due to the weather) we spent the majority of our weekend in the hotel and the two story room gave us great space. We ate dinner one night in the restaurant--good house wine and good food! Our server was fast and friendly. Our room was clean, the bed comfortable and the hotel was surprisingly quiet--even with youth sports team also staying there. Breakfast could be enjoyed in the great room off the lobby overlooking the river and included a hot bar of eggs, biscuits and gravy, hash browns and bacon. We will be back in May--already looking forward to staying there again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cliffbreakers Riverside Resort? Share your experiences!