“Best Bang for your Buck!!! A+” 5 of 5 stars

Super 8 Motel Rosemont / O'Hare
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3160 North River Road, River Grove, IL 60171   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in River Grove
Fremont, Michigan
“Best Bang for your Buck!!! A+”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

For the price we paid, this was an excellent place to stay. The worst part was that it was on a busy intersection, but there was a 24 hour gas station behind it, lots of places that deliver food, quite clean, very friendly staff, free internet that worked, comfortable room and decent breakfast. There was actually cereal. It was close to things to do. Would definitely stay here again! Remember it is a Super 8 Motel so amenities are rare, but the service was awesome!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
austin, tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

Do not trust the staff. The rooms were decent, and good if you just want to a place to stay; But I wouldn't trust the staff. it was our fault for leaving a bag in the room; however, we immediately called to let them know and asked if they could hold the bag for us. It hadn't been more than 5 minutes that we left the room. We headed back after a quick stop and was told that they didn't find anything. it was obvious that someone kept the bag because when i walked in, the beds were made. The only cleaning staff on site said that the room was already cleaned up when they walked in & that the door was open. So either the cleaning staff kept the bag or the staff kept the bag. Even though it was our fault for not triple checking the room before we left, they still chose to keep the bag. Don't leave anything behind if you stay here.

• Liked — if i had to say something, i would say price
  • Disliked — parking & staff
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2007

I booked this hotel in advance on Hotels.com. When we arrived and checked in, we went to the room, unlocked the door, and walked in on someone who had been given the room that we had already paid for. We went back to the front desk only to be told that there was nothing they could do about it. The desk clerk said that he would try to find us something because it was midnight and we were cold and tired. He put us in a room that was half the size and value that we had paid for. We asked if we could be refunded some of our money, since we were now staying in a much cheaper room, and he refused. So we went to our small, smoky room and each had one flat pillow to sleep on, while paying for a much nicer room that was being occupied by a stranger. It was a very disappointing experience, when we just wanted to have a nice evening, attend a musical and celebrate our engagement.
Besides the obvious lack of customer service and organization, this hotel has terrible parking and a poor lobby and breakfast bar. Our trip was ruined because of this hotel, and we will not be staying at another Super 8.

• Liked — I didn't care for anything about this accomodation.
  • Disliked — The entire experience was a disappointment.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oahu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

This motel is in my old neighborhood. After 3 years of life in Hawaii I missed the great things found in Chicagoland. While a Motel has existed at this location for all of my 50 years, I saw it receive an extensive rehab in the mid-90's. It had a checkered past and I attended a few raucous motel parties there in my youth. That is all in the past. For me and this Motel.

I spent a week in a spacious room with refrigerator and microwave. For the price I paid the room was a good value and clean enough. There was a free breakfast that was cereal, donuts, bagels and a great value, excellent coffee.This motel has free wi-fi. I notice in more expensive places they will charge you 5$-15$ for internet as part of the nickel/dime game. The room was on the backside of the motel and even though it is on a busy intersection, was very quiet. The staff was helpful and friendly. I'm sure the place is run by a family. They seemed to be from India.

It appeared clean but had one of those dark blue carpets that don't show dirt until you stand in the shower and see how dirty the bottoms of your feet are. I wore my flip-flops in the room. A disturbing fact was the fact that litter in the parking lot, while not excessive, seemed to be overlooked by the staff. One night an empty whiskey bottle was left next to the fence and was there for the next three days. Maybe they clean the lot on Saturday. The TV, while having a less than perfect picture had a good mix of local and cable channels, noticeably absent was Comedy Central, I need my Colbert Report. As previous posters have reported, there is a shortage of parking at this Motel. Creative use of the available space gets everyone on the property, but with all the vacant property around them, hopefully they will fix this.

It is not as far from the bus line as it would seem. Four blocks south is Grand Avenue, where buses will take you just about anywhere in Chicago and suburbs. You can connect with trains or even catch the 331 bus that will take you to the blue line el to O'hare, all for 2 bucks. I don't think the owners are even aware of that, told you this is my old neighborhood. I saw them tell a guy the way to the airport was to take a taxi.

Also three blocks south is a world famous hot dog stand called Gene & Jude's (google it!). I don't think the owner's send them trade, but I have gone there all my life and it is the quintessential Chicago hotdog. Watch the fries being cut on a big hand cutter, mounted on the wall, potato skin and all, just as they were in the 50's.

Across the street is The Peacock Carwash. Another longtime neighborhood business. There you will find free air for your tires, the best cigarette prices, milk at supermarket prices, and The Illinois Lottery, open 24 hours. Gas up the rental car there, the night before, and it will read full at O'hare, 5 miles away.

In the area I also recommend the Italian Beef Sandwich at Jay's Beef, on Irving Park Road (Rt. 19), in Schiller Park. Go about 3 miles North along River Road and turn left at Rt.19. Go past one red light and under the viaduct, there it is on the right. If you go past Walgreen's, you went too far. But you probably need something at Walgreen's too. Put some of the Jay's beefs in the freezer in your room and take them home with you. Delicious!

Also check the phonebook for Armands Pizza in the area. Eat in or order out. The best pizza in the area as well as other Italian dishes. I believe they will deliver to the Motel,good if you don't have a car or you had a few drinks. We don't have pizza like that here in Honolulu, not even close.

So for my trip back to the old neighborhood this Motel was ideal.

• Liked — Location, amenities, comfort, staff, convenience, price
  • Disliked — dirty carpet, parking, some litter in lot and empty lot next door, but not too much.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 Motel Rosemont / O'Hare? Share your experiences!