“No frills, nothing special, definitely low end” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Eagle's Nest Hotel & Conference Center

You added Eagle's Nest Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Eagle's Nest Hotel & Conference Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 South Third Street, Quincy, IL 62301 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn)   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Quincy
Chicago, IL
“No frills, nothing special, definitely low end”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

I stayed here for several weeks while doing business in Quincy. As a self-employed individual who is watching $$ during this economic crisis, I booked a room here for $45 M-F, back home on weekends. The staff and manager were great and I never had any problems while there. Staff went out of their way to help and I have no complaints. Free internet was great some nights and bad others. there was a computer and printer in lobby to use as well. hot breakfast was pretty bad. Large rooms. Indoor pool and exercise room. Free parking out front and in the rear. Truly just your very, very basic value hotel.

So if you want friendly staff, very low cost and a a place to lay your head that's clean but without any frills or attempt at frills, this place is it.

Best parts about the hotel - staff and manager were very friendly and helpful. They were as helpful as some higher end hotels that I have stayed in. Couldn't beat the cost and it was close to the main roads of Quincy and bridges to Missouri.

Average parts: room was large, but definitely dated. free internet spotty some days and great others

Poor parts: maybe one luggage rack, only elevator is freight elevator, hotel breakfast may be the worst ever.

Moral of the story: if you really want just a room (they are large), breakfast isn't important, and need to save some serious cash - stay here.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Peoria, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2007

A long time friend and I met halfway from our respective homes to spend a day in Quincy shopping. We are both senior citizens. We stayed at this hotel, but first we asked to see the room, which was immediately agreed by the desk clerk. Then after our shopping all day when we came back to the hotel the area we were in the door was locked to the outside entrance. So we went to the front desk and another young lady said she would meet us at the door and unlock it so we could carry in our purchases to sort etc. Our car was loaded. The young lady helped carry all of our things into our room and was very pleasant about it. The staff seemed very friendly to us, the room clean and pleasant. The rate was very good! I would stay again and would recommend it.

• Liked — staff freindliness
  • Disliked — took awhile for the water to get warm
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Overland Park, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

I stayed one night in Quincy, IL. I drove into town and looked at the various hotel choices. There are two main clusters of hotel choices, one on the West side near the Mississippi River, the other on the East side near I-127. I chose the West side, albeit for no particular reason.

I had never stayed at the America's Best Value, so I decided to try it. From the outside, the building looks to be in decent shape. It's not in the same tip-top shape that I see at the larger business hotels, but it wasn't bad.

The lobby is large and rather stark, but it, too, looked acceptable. I checked in for one night and received a room with two queen beds on the first floor. The building is built on the edge of the slope leading to the river, so the first floor is below the lobby.

The room itself was fine. There were some cobwebs and dust balls in the corner. I could see indications that a more skilled handyman was needed to fill the small holes in the walls and apply an even coat of paint. The furniture is basic but functional. The bed was a little stiff, but not uncomfortable for me.
I was concerned that there were empty candy wrappers lying next to he sink. Given the other dust, though, I am not surprised.

The room included an iron, small ironing board, hair dryer and coffee maker. An ice machine was just down the hall. Those amenities were appreciated.

The hotel offers wireless Internet access in the rooms. The service was unreliable. While the Wi-fi signal was consistent, the data reliability was not. I frequently had to reconnect to complete file transfers.

Is this hotel the best value? At $55 per night, it's had to complain too much. The dirt and trash is unacceptable, but otherwise, it's a fair value.

Given the other choices available in Quincy, I doubt that I will stay here again. (CS)

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

REASON FOR THE STAY: Stayed here for a State Softball Tournament. This was the HOST hotel. Stayed 2 nights.

LOBBY: You basic lower end hotel lobby.

POOL: Small, Indoor and Cold.

ROOMS: Open the door and realized that this was a run down hotel. Maybe back in the day it would have been nice. The room was larger than most, "L" shaped. 1 double bed and 1 king size bed. Pink walls, red carpet and a 13" television. Pull out bed in the Sofa, but was scared to open it. Bugs? Yep had them! Crickets about a dozen in this room. Small fridge that was warm inside and a microwave on top (unknown if it worked). Window unit A/C; which actually worked great.

BATHROOM: Toliet didn't flush. Shower, for people under 5' tall, went from cold to hot water and back again. And, Bugs in there also.

BEDS: HARD!!

Spent the first night and went to the front desk at 7 am. Made my complaints about the bugs and such. They advised they would take care of it. Returned at 6 pm. Bugs? yep still had them. They cleaned up some of the dead ones, but still have some lives ones in the room. My wife had gotten sick in bed during the night. We pulled back the sheets to let housekeeping aware, expecting to have new sheets. NOPE! Checked the bed and housekeeping just pulled the sheets back up.

This time I called the front desk. Front desk acted concerned, for about 30 seconds until her other line rang. She then put me on hold. I hung up and went down to the front desk. After waiting for another 5 mins while she was on the phone with some fool booking a room she told me the hotel would move us to a Jacuzzi Suite. Funny thing is I asked for a Suite about a week before the trip and I was told the entire hotel was full....amazing a room popped up.

I went back to the old room and maintenance met me there. He wanted to see the bugs. I showed him the bugs and the dirty bed.

JACUZZI SUITE: Walked in thinking I was in a different hotel. Newly remodeled room. 100% nicer than the 1st room. Still had it's problems. Tried to use the iron and it fell apart in my hands. Still had the hard bed. The Jacuzzi was okay, nothing special. Had to call the front desk again, due to needing 4 light bulbs. They replaced 2 while we were at dinner. Bugs? Yep still had them.

FINAL WORD: Do not stay at this hotel. Plenty of other, nicer and newer hotels in Quincy. I am still unsure why this was the host hotel. Rates were $65 a night.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Eagle's Nest Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!