“Damp and Doggy” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Quincy
Yorkville, Illinois
“Damp and Doggy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I was disappointed with our experience at this hotel. Most reviews were positive, but that was not true for the many days we stayed there. The room was always very damp feeling. The window looked north, so the room was also rather dark, giving it a swampy feel. My son consistently had a stuffy nose when we were in the room, which I attribute to previous dogs having stayed in the room. We were on the first floor, so the noise level was fairly high. The room was rather small, as were the double beds. House keeping skipped our room one day for no apparent reason, so we ran out of towels. After discovering a large moth in our room, we asked housekeeping to remove it, but they did not, so I did, along with an earwig. The breakfast was basic, and the hard boiled eggs ran out most days. The hot tub was not working (jets or heat), even after the front desk person tried flipping the breaker. We left without being able to enjoy it. Several nights the entire pool area was closed due to rain, because the indoor and outdoor pool are connected under the wall, so when it rains outside the indoor pool and sauna and hot tub must also be closed since they are all housed in the same room inside.

Room Tip: Request a room not on the first floor. Go to breakfast early, before selection is limited. Before re...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Quincy, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear LisaD781017, I share your disappointment with your experience and I assure you we can and will address those issues individually. Fortunately, as you pointed out, your experience is not the norm for our guests as other reviews will attest and I apologize on behalf of our entire staff that yours was an exception. Regarding the pool closing, because of our unique indoor/outdoor pool, we close the pool during storms that could produce lighting to insure the safety of all our guests. We take pride in our room cleanliness and also take special deep cleaning steps in all rooms previously occupied with a pet to insure those that follow do not encounter any discomfort. Again, I’m very sorry your stay was disappointing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

this was the second Stoney Creek we have stayed at and they were both very consistent with each other. This stay was quiet, comfortable, clean and in a great location. If in town again we would stay here again, no question.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Room very clean and comfortable. I found this location by accident. We are
traveling with a dog and so many places are picky, this chain accepts pets for a charge, but it was worth it. The people are friendly and the ambiance is nice. I would love to see this chain on the East coast. Will stay with this chain again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
De Soto, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This hotel was very clean and in great condition. I was surprised to find out it's 15 years old. It looks much newer than that. There are many small details that make you feel at home. The bar area was convenient to have and the staff was very friendly and attentive. It is within walking distance to many restaurants and stores. My only complaints are that, though the pool area was very nice, the pool itself was filthy. We couldn't even utilize the outdoor portion because there were so many floating bugs. Also the breakfast left a lot to be desired. Thin slices of ham with rubbery disc shaped eggs served as the only substantial items besides the typical carb and gluten heavy breakfast items like sugary cereal, bagels, waffles. I would have liked to have seen some real eggs and bacon or at least some oatmeal. But we are satisfied with our stay.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Jack K, Vice Presient of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Quincy, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear 70, Thanks for submitting your review and for the kind remarks. Many times, we address something that happens on rare occasions and guests or review readers may assume it’s the norm. By its very nature, our indoor/outdoor pool, with all its attributes and uniqueness, will sometimes get a little closer to Mother Nature than we’d like, but we usually take care of that in very short order. Our breakfast menu’s rotate on weekdays so a one day experience wouldn’t have given you the variety of options that we in fact offer. In any case, we are pleased to tell you we will re-address those few things you didn’t like and re-emphasize all those you did. Thanks again and come see us again soon.
Galesburg, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel is our standard stay when we visit family in Quincy. I learned from a bad experience to always request a quiet room away from the elevator. We stay there two or three times a year. I enjoy the location. It is clean and the staff is pleasant and quick to take care of any problem. The pool and hot tub is nice.

Room Tip: Always request quiet room away from elevator
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Multiple reviews indicate this is a pleasant place with friendly staff. In my recent stay, the staff were clearly going the extra mile. I had booked well in advance of my trip, and had called to confirm that I could get picked up by their van from the nearby Amtrak station. When I called the day of arrival to confirm, the desk clerk said that the van driver was off duty at that hour, but remembered my original request, and personally made sure that the van picked me up--even though Amtrak was running very late. My departure was at an equally inconvenient early hour, and conflicted with another commitment to take another guest to the airport, but the staff made it clear that my transport needs would be met, and ended up doing so in the most friendly manner possible. Getting guests to the airport/train station is simple stuff in many cities, but is much more challenging in a town like Quincy (and much more stressful for guests, because a small hiccup can cause huge problems) The Stoney Creek staff clearly understood this, handled everything professionally, and I am glad that I stayed there

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stony Creek was a great experience for my girl friend and I. We are 32 and 31 years old and stayed for three nights. The room was very clean and we liked the log details and outdoorsy hunting and fishing themed decoration. We have stayed in many hotels in the past years and my girlfriend said about this one is that its the first time in awhile she didnt hesitate about the cleanliness of the room and bed sheets. The place is Clean! We dont have children but if we did the pool would have been a huge hit. We enjoyed the spacious hot tub very much, its surrounded with a rocky structure and has fun murals on the walls. The staff was very accommodating and nice. Breakfast was good too with waffle makers available. Thumbs up!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Quincy? Share your experiences!