“Seedy place but good for the value!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Prospect Heights

Save Saved
You added Super 8 Prospect Heights to your Saves list
Super 8 Prospect Heights
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   540 Milwaukee Ave, Prospect Heights, IL 60070 (Formerly Exel Inn)   |
Evanston, IL
“Seedy place but good for the value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I saw that this hotel had good reviews about front desk staff, but was cheap etc.
It was indeed a very cheap place with good internet access!
There were lots of very questionable people staying there! None that I saw were violent, but I definitely saw people who shall we say looked like they were irresponsible, I think I also saw somebody smoking pot in the parkling lot etc. In some way this is not surprising, the place is the cheapest in the area, and is not close to downtown (in fact there is a cheaper one downtown) so this place won't attract college student travelers.
But the front desk staff WAS nice, the place was very clean when you consider what kind of people I saw staying there. So... don't stay there if you plan to walk around a 5 star hotel with business people as the other guests. but if you don't mind a cheap place and are willing to walk in in a t-shirt in jeans, I can recommend it. OH, one other thing, due to the kind of guests, I did have noise at night, including drunk yelling, so be aware of that. If you need a good night sleep, this might not be the best place. But the front desk staff are very nice, and I *hope* there are no guest against guest crimes there, but I would not gaurantee it from the kind of people that were around.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
plymouth, mi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

I booked 3 rooms here on a Friday night in June. We arrived at 3am and checked in without incident. 2 of the rooms were fine - spacious, clean enough, and as expected. For a Super 8 the ammeneties were fine - I'd say it was slightly above the average Super 8 I've stayed in. The linens were old and worn, but usable.

The 3rd room however, had an unmade bed, a half-drank cup of coffee on the night stand and appeared to have not been cleaned from the night before. Due to the late hour and the exhaustion of the guy staing in that room, he didn't complain about it, so I can't say how the situation would have been remedied. The hotel was booked solid so he would have had to wait for the room to be cleaned and all that and he just wasn't up for that battle.

So in the end, I'd say just make sure your room has been cleaned and you will be ok. Don't go in expecting more than an average Super 8.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

Front Desk staff is great and very accomidating. Great value for the location.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
super81415, General Manager at Super 8 Prospect Heights, responded to this review, May 23, 2010
Thank you for your kind words! It is always our priority to ensure that all of our guests leave the hotel knowing that they were taken care of. Please stay with us again soon!

Stay well,

Kristen Karl
London Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

The hotel was booked due to it's good price, and seemingly good reviews. When we got there after a 7 hour drive, it was clean, the staff were friendly, and the rooms were big for the price. No dirty sheets, comfortable beds too. Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Accrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

The review below is for two people who booked a MOTEL without a car!
Quite simply... we (girlfriend and I) couldn’t find a cheap hotel/hostel in Chicago! So I booked the Super 8 Prospect Heights in a bit of a rush and on a budget. Did we know what to expect? Nope. But it was cheap and I also was moving from Las Vegas to Chicago by Greyhound which was unpleasant to be polite.

Well firstly we arrived at Union Station in Chicago on Saturday only to learn the Metra commuter trains that run through Prospect Heights don’t run at the weekend! What made it worse is there are no more options via public transport to get there. Long story short we needed a taxi but not from Chicago to avoid the expense so we Amtrak’d up the line to some town about 5 miles away and caught a taxi to the Super 8.

So maybe the hardest hotel ever to get too but it really isn’t for back packers but that’s cool, Sunday we had to stay put as Metra was not running so we explored Prospect Heights. That lasted 15 minutes and it was watching TV for the rest of the day. The area isn’t designed for humans but for automobiles so be careful where you try to walk. The Super 8 is between mixed use stores & restaurants and a very scenic neighbourhood. Now if you’re willing to walk for nearly 30 minutes through very picturesque American suburban streets to catch the Metra from Monday to Friday then you have your connection to Chicago.

The hotel itself was fine, the reception desk was helpful, the room we had was very spacious indeed. (See pictures) The free breakfast was fresh orange juice, bagels, cream cheese, coffee etc. which was great. They also had a PC with internet access in the dining room which was very handy for when you’ve been on the road for a while, this could be used 24 hours and the printing was free too! Very helpful. (I even got free Italian fast food when using the internet late night when a delivery guy had over stock) Overall what could have been a booking disaster turned out great, maybe next time we might think about driving though!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
eschuber
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

Stayed here the night before and then after a trip out of O'Hare. Hotel is very clean and
staff is very friendly. Convenient access from the highway. We left at 4 am before the continental breakfast started and the night clerk offered to turn on the juice machine.
TVs and cable works well, comfortable bed, and can you beleive for week nights it was only $54 including tax, wow! A standout for a Super 8 hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

I did not think this place was so bad. Despite the July review of this property, I reserved a king bed room, double occupancy, for two nights September 28-29 for $62 per night. This is the third Exel Inn (the other two being Milwaukee north and Milwaukee south) that I've stayed at over about ten years so my experience with its consistency, for adequate facilities at a modest price, encouraged me to give this place a try. This Prospect Heights property is the nicest of the three that I've seen. The hallways smell a little like cigarette smoke. The room smelled fine.
Wife and I like firmer beds and slept well. We had a room on the second floor facing away from Burger King (out in front). It seemed plenty clean to me. The windows open and it was a comfortable quiet location.
Bathroom seemed plenty clean too. No reluctance going in there.
On first entry, a light bulb in one of the lamps next to the bed popped. I immediately swapped it with a light bulb from another lamp in the room that I wasn't going to use as much so I forgot about it so much that I never told the management.
Mini fridges are available for a fee.
The breakfast was kind of meager. But for $62 per night what else can you ask for around here? bagels, toast, muffins, juice, coffee. There was no cereal like other Exel Inns might have. There was no butter either, just a margarine like substance, peanut butter, jelly and cream cheese. The juice comes from concentrate. On our second morning, the orange juice wasn't mixed very well. It tasted like a skim milk version of orange juice. yecchh.
Milwaukee Ave has a center divider so that one cannot turn left out of the driveway or left into the driveway. If you want to turn left onto Milwaukee Ave from the hotel, it can be a bit tricky finding a place to do a U-turn. Wilcox, Wilson or whatever that main road was getting to I-294 has a bunch of construction going on it just to the east of I-294 at the moment, constricting down to a single lane each way with sometimes heavy slow traffic.
The people at the front desk seemed plenty competent and friendly.
We'd stay here again if we had to be in this part of town again.

• Liked — Good price for area. Adequately nice and clean. Frequent stay card with free nights.
  • Disliked — This is a quiet Chicago suburb. It's not a special location for anything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 Prospect Heights? Share your experiences!