“clean hotel and helpfull staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeton
Toronto, Canada
“clean hotel and helpfull staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is the best hotel under $ 70 I have ever stayed at! The rooms were clean and remodeled as is the rest of the hotel. Anytime I am in Princeton, IL with family again I will definitely stay here again. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Jay P, Manager at Econo Lodge Princeton, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear John,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Rome City, Indiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

There's nothing that fancy about this motel...the name says it all. I called around and found that the rate at the Econo Lodge was lower than other motels in the immediate area and my total bill came to just under $59. That seems like a lot for what I received, but I don't think I'd have had much better accommodations at another area property, which would have had a higher rate. The room was clean and comfortable. The room had a strong and reliable wifi signal all night and they provided a decent selection of cable channels. I would stay here again, if need be.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Jay P, Manager at Econo Lodge Princeton, responded to this review, December 8, 2013

Kind Regards,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Nice Hotel, but the hallways stink with the smell of stale smoke. The stay was ok otherwise. This hotel was not worth the $80 I paid to stay. The beds were clean and I slept alright. I would not stay here again though just because of the strong smell of stale smoke.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

East TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Real rating 4 and a 1/2 circles.
Back again for the second year in a row as last years stay was great and we were pleased.
We arrived a night early from our reserve date. I was very surprised when I walked in and was greeted with my name and a friendly "your early" comment. Wow! Check in went very smoothly which was welcome after a 12 hour drive.

ROOM:
* The room was clean and everything worked as supposed to.
* The shower is really good. No water saver shower head here that hardly gets one wet. You got a good shower.
* Net wifi access was good with just a few drops the whole stay.
* Mini fridge and microwave worked. Very important on a long stay to help save money and keep down going out to eat costs.
* TV got local channels, basic cable, and two HBO's. Good picture quality and sound this time.
* Maids were friendly and did not bother us. Just let us change out towels, get new soaps and such.
* Just one minor drawback. Still no coffee maker in room. BUT!!! Coffee is in lobby 24/7 so no real biggie.

FREE BREAKFAST:
* Consisted of Make your own waffles YUMMY :), blue berry muffins, english muffins, bagels, fruit loops, raisin bran, frosty flakes, coffee, orange juice, milk, cream cheese, butter, syrup, strawberry or grape jelly, all in all a pretty good selection.

STAFF:
All staff was great! Owners and employees were very friendly. Could not as for better. Kudos!

LOCATION:
Great location just off the Interstate. McDonald's, Wendy's, and other restaurants very close by. Some in easy walking distance. Super Walmart's just across the road.

SIDE NOTES:
* This trip we did use the guest laundry facility. Please note that if you use the washer it takes HE liquid detergent. $1 wash and $1 dry in quarters.
* We did not use the pool. But it looked clean and well cared for.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jay P, Manager at Econo Lodge Princeton, responded to this review, September 5, 2013

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stopped at a different hotel to stay with my family and pet. It turns out this is the only hotel that accepts pets. Decided to look at the pet room before staying, the room was clean and smelled great for a pet and people room. So we decided to stay and take two rooms. What I shouldve checked w the other room! It smelled extremely bad. It had dirty socks under the dresser that apparently have been there for awhile. The pet room did smell and look clean but air conditioning didn't work. Both units had clogged sinks. Sorry to say not worth the stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
Under the Northern Lights, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

As noted in the previous reviews, this Econolodge is a step up from the average Econolodge motel/hotel throughout most of the country (I've stayed in an unfortunate few). The rooms are very clean and all the staff / management are very friendly & helpful. Even though the towels are barely above what you receive after gym class in a public school, I had no problem asking for and receiving more. And don't know whether it is the entire Econolodge chain or just this hotel that raised the quality of their soap and shampoo, but I was pleasently surprised as it was better than I was expecting (defintely not your typical Motel 6 end-of-run Dial product).

My two recommendationis for those considering a stay here is:

1) The "rollaway" extra bed they offer for anyone traveling with more than 2 adults is actually a pull-out couch from circa-1970/80 with a very thin mattress, weak springs, and an incredibly poke-in-your-back crossbar under the springs. Let the kids sleep on the pull-out (if they can) or, better yet, just get an extra room. However, the main bed was very comfortable.

2) Watch out for the early morning garbage collection if you are staying in the back of the hotel toward the dumpster. We were awakened at 5:45am on a Saturday morning to the noise of the dumpster collection. Not something we had "scheduled" for. After our complaint, the manager did give us a reduction in a our room rate for our inconvenience (which is why I rated the stay 4-stars instead of 3), but I would think a hotel would have more influence in when garbage is collected being that they are supposed to be in the business of making sure their guests get a good night sleep as much as is within their power.

Also, it appears hotel is one of the last remaining that does have a couple of smoking rooms available, and you can smell the smoke passing by the doors. Not sure if it can be smelled upstairs of the room, but walking past the door, it was fairly noticeable. Just a note for those that are very sensitive to it.

Otherwise, overall, it was a good stay in a nice location, and close enough to the Culvers for us to walk there in the evening.

Room Tip: Find out garbage collection schedule before getting your room key and and then don't stay in one...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I've stayed at the Princeton Econolodge several times, mostly when making trips from the nearby Amtrak station. It's not a full-service luxury hotel, but it's a step above most budget properties.

The Econolodge is located just south of I-80 and about a mile from downtown Princeton (from which there are several Amtrak trains daily to and from Chicago). There is a Wendy's across the parking lot, a family restaurant (the Big Apple) next door, and several other options for food nearby. There is also a Wal-Mart supercenter and several other stores within a short distance.

The hotel is family owned, and everyone I've dealt with has been very friendly. Patrons who arrive at off-peak hours will want to know that the desk is not always staffed. If no one is there, guests should dial "0" on the phone for assistance. As is standard at Econolodges, payment is taken up front. I like this, because then there are no delays at check-out.

While this is an older property, it has been maintained fairly well. The rooms are large, and they offer better amenities than many budget motels. While the place has often been busy, I've never been bothered by noise here. The beds are comfortable, and I've always gotten a good night's sleep.

I don't care much for the breakfast, but this is more a factor of the type of hotel than of this particular property. Aside from do-it-yourself waffles (which I don't much care for), there's little besides toast and English muffins. One thing I do like is that both juice and coffee are available in the lobby around the clock.

I'll be passing through Princeton again over the Christmas holiday, and once again I'll be staying at the Econolodge. It's a good value and a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Econo Lodge Princeton? Share your experiences!