“Good value, big room, great breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Pontoon Beach
Cambridge, Minnesota
“Good value, big room, great breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We decided to extend our family vacation in Louisville and head over to St. Louis for a couple days to see the Arch, etc. however we wanted to do it on a budget. It was hard to find a hotel with free breakfast and traveling as a family of six free breakfast saves us a lot of money! Their breakfast was actually an awesome set up with an automatic pancake maker (never seen that before!) We were able to get a family suite which had bunk beds in a separate room with a tv for the younger kids. There was also a microwave and fridge which was nice to have! The staff was friendly and helpful...so why only three stars? Just the little things...I laughed when our toilet seat was loose because I read that in an earlier review but I wasn't going to complain about that. There was no Kleenex in the room, the last day our wifi password stopped working, the pool was a little chilly (kids teeth were chattering but they still liked swimming) no hot tub and very small pool. The public restrooms on the first floor need some serious attention and I really don't think it would costs much money...look at the caulking around the back of the sink and the leaky faucet and the toilet seat in the woman's bathroom...it's these small details that make a difference! I liked the fresh coffee all day so thank you for that! I think this hotel is probably used by a lot of truckers and construction workers but it worked fine for our purposes being less than 20 mins from downtown St Louis but needs a little investment and attention to detail to bring it up...if I could do half stars I would give it 3.5. PS there was nothing to do in Pontoon Beach and not many places to eat...ordering pizza and eating in the breakfast area worked great for us!

Stayed July 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pontoon Beach, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear lee l,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I certainly appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. I would like to apologize for the dissatisfaction you had experienced. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the internet connection and the bathroom conditions have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Hermitage, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My husband and I spent one night at this hotel while traveling Route 66. Immediately, I could see that the bed, while clean, was not neat and crisp as we have become accustomed to finding in HIE properties. The bathroom was clean, but there were some problems. The tile on the floor actually moved slightly under our feet at the entrance because so much grout was missing, and the toilet paper holder was loose, so the toilet tissue would not stay on. The usually well-stocked room was lacking facial tissues.

Overall the room was comfortable, and the breakfast was as good as any HIE provides. WiFi worked wonderfully. We did not have time to use the pool or fitness facility.

Upon check out, I made the front desk aware of the issues with the room. The folks at the front desk were very nice and apologetic, and they thanked us for letting them know of the problems, I was told that housekeeping is to make them aware of issues like the loose tile and loose toilet tissue holder, so maintenance can address such issues.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
chris l, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pontoon Beach, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Angela,

I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us. It is always a delight to have a loyal customer stay here. We are consistenly trying to provide a hotel with the level of quality and service our guests have come to love and enjoy. I will address all issues with the housekeeping and engineering departments to ensure these items are addressed and prevented in the future. I am glad to see that you had a great stay and a great interaction with my front desk staff.
Pittsboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

If I were to judge a Holiday Inn Express by this one, I would not stay in one again. Common areas were not very clean. Luggage carts were dirty.
Very stained toilet seat and bowl in first room.
Guest laundry had standing water in the washing machine.
The only thing that saves this motel is the staff. Michelle, the person at the desk when we arrived, was very helpful and upgraded our room after the toilet incident.
Chris, the manager, went out of his way to help us with the laundry. Sent it out to be cleaned at no charge to us.
Shelly, one of the housekeepers, was also very friendly and helpful.
I think the problem with this motel is whoever owns the franchise. They do not seem to be interested in keeping it up to Holiday Inn standards.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
JDP1913,

I remember you two ladies very well. It was a joy to have you at our hotel. I am sorry for the quality of the hotel during your stay with us. My staff and I try very hard to keep our guests happy as the Management team and I develop our renovation plans for the hotel. We are hoping to complete our renovations by Spring 2015. But rest assured during the time between now and then, we will continue to strive to provide a great hotel our guests will love.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Check in is the easiest the room was big and very nice after the stay that I had earlier this week this place blows the downtown ramada out of the water in every way possible. Very clean room and free parking and breakfast. Sure beats 15 bucks a day and the hike to the car. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. Love it

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Rick C,

I want to thank you for staying with us. I know there are hundreds of hotels to choose from and you decided to leave one of them and come to us. We hope to have you back here with us anytime you are in the St. Louis area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Less than half an hour drive from St. Louis, Pontoon Beach is actually in the middle of farm country. A couple of other hotels and a police station are nearby, otherwise there is not much to see within walking distance. They have an indoor pool if you feel like swimming. I liked the breakfast they offered with a choice of many make-it-yourself items: muffins, toast, eggs, pork or turkey sausage, juice, oatmeal, biscuits, cinnamon rolls and a machine that cooks and dispenses hot pancakes. The room was very nice with a really fine bed and the carpet was a lot cleaner than most hotels I visit. My one gripe: the windows. They are sealed and cannot be opened for fresh air. The curtains are fixed in the open position and cannot be closed and there was an incredibly bright light illuminating the parking lot shining right through my window. There was no way to block out the light and it was so bright it was like trying to sleep in the daytime. I would have given this place 5 stars if they only had curtains I could close.

Room Tip: I would have chosen a room facing the back to avoid those bright lights shining in.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
chris l, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pontoon Beach, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am terribly sorry for any problems you may have ran into with our blackout curtains, rest assured, every room in the hotel have blackout curtains that are movable, they may have just been opened so far that they were hidden behind the decorative curtains in the front, which those do not close. I have spoke with my staff to ensure that they are partially closing the blackout curtains so they are visible to the guests. But I am glad to hear that everything else about your stay was fantastic.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We were on our way heading to Chicago, IL from Fulton, MO. I pulled over in St. Louis. MO to call the 1800 for holiday Inn Express. The Rep was very helpful in locating a holiday Inn Express in Pontoon, Illinois which was on our route. I should've known it was going go to be the sleepover from HELL! In the lobby the guest couch was nasty looking, and very dirty... I immediately started to pray, that the rooms were clean.. The room I ended up with was a smoking room, because it had a cigarette holes in the curtain. I thought I told the Rep a non-smoking room.

Once inside the room, I noticed the dark spots on the carpet. You can tell the carpet was years old.. There was dust on the headboard and behind the dresser where the TV sat. You can tell it hadn't been cleaned after every guest checkout...

No need to talk about the comfort of the bed or breakfast the next morning.. Bath tub was dirty, so I had to keep on my flip flop to take a shower. The next morning after putting on my shoes, looked up to see a big cock roach over the entry door of my room.... I was leaving anyway, seeing the roach helped me to move even fast to get the hell out of that hotel...

Unless you want to take an extra guest back home with you, this is not the hotel to spend the night..... I don't do roaches, flies nor rodents.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We are currently in the planning and development stage of a hotel renovation. We work very hard each and every day to improve our hotel for our guests. We treat for any and all pest on a routine basis for prevention and extermination. We are locked by alot of farm fields and we have found a few beetles make their way into the building from time to time. We strive to provide a clean and comfortable stay for everyone.

Travelers are raving about these Pontoon Beach hotels

bemidji
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

This HIE has a good location for visiting Granite City and Edwardsville and is a quick river crossing to St Louis. Location aside, the place could sure use some upgrading. Have stayed @ this property several times for extended periods and this most recent stay was by far the most difficult Housekeeping is not consistent, failing to clean my room entirely a couple of times. Frustrating when arriving back @ the hotel late @ night. Had to return to the desk for towels and go through the "no, I did not have the do not disturb sign on my door" conversation each time. Bathroom needed help. Tub faucet was glued to the wall as if it had fallen off and not repaired properly. Long black hairs in tub, on floor and stuck to the inside of the shower curtain. Mold/mildew had been painted over, obviously, and was coming through again. Lots of cigarette smell in halls, lobby and for goodness sakes, staff stands just outside the doors to smoke! How is that a non smoking facility? Front desk staff were sometimes friendly and sometimes did not even look up. A couple of nights there were very loud children running the halls @ all hours of the night/morning making sleep almost impossible. Soccer balls being kicked into vehicles in the parking lot by kids. For whatever reason no hotel staff ever even attempted to address this even when standing right there smoking. Had to do it myself. I thought the continental breakfast was good and plentiful and the breakfast lady was very pleasant. The bed in my room was weird ~ overly soft and saggy like a pillow but honestly, I did sleep fine on it when the noise wasn't bad. The fridge in the room did not have any adjustment for temp so everything in it froze. Furniture was not sturdy and needs replacing. I do always travel with Clorox wipes and the first thing I do is wipe all the "crucial" areas and items to be comfortable with my room. I have used other lodging choices in Pontoon Beach and actually find this HIE to be the best of the batch!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
chris l, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pontoon Beach, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Laur H,

I am terribly sorry that we fell below your expectations for your stay with us. We strive to provide a wonderful stay for all of our guests and we did not do that for you. I have heard what you have to say and will implement changes to address these issues. The are extremely valuable plan changes that will make us a better hotel for you and your family as well as all of our other guest now and into the future. We welcome you back to try us again and allow us the chance to show you we can be better.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pontoon Beach? Share your experiences!