“Been there five times and I have given up on the place.” 2 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Plainfield
Plainfield Fishing Resort
Save Saved
You added Plainfield Fishing Resort to your Saves list
741 E Renwick Rd, Plainfield, IL 60544-9697   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plainfield
Chicago, Illinois
“Been there five times and I have given up on the place.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I have been to pfr five times and every time I go with friends we either catch nothing or baby fish. Just went 5/31/11 and the guy told me they stocked catfish corner twice recently and only managed a 1lb channel with using four poles and various baits. Recasting every 20 min and changing baits. Using Minnows, worms, and liver tight lined and bobbered., Tried multiple spots. Later on caught some baby bass and bluegills. Thats the best I have done there.

I never see any decent size fish swimming when the water is clear. There is a lot weeds already so forget about lures unless your on a boat. I always keep an eye out for anyone else catching anything and the biggest fish i seen caught was a 5lb carp. So if i can see 20 people fishing from my spot and they have two rods each thats 40 rods that are not getting any bites. The road you drive on is pretty bad. Has a lot of big pot holes. Would not take long to fill in those with some rocks maybe a half a day for a couple guys. . It seems like they don't want you to catch fish. They open at 7 which is kind of late for fisherman. And the boats have a loud chained anchor that scares away the fish. Weeds everywhere.

The place is pretty clean and is good to bring the family and barbeque but I would not recommend the place for just fishing. Unless bluegills keeps you happy. This place is either very hard to fish or they stock it regularly with baby fish.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
naperville, il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I have been to the Plainfield Fishing Resort (PFR) numerous times and have always had a great experience. I moved to Phoenix two years ago and happened to be back in the Plainfield area over Memorial Day weekend 2010. We went on Sunday when the PFR opened at 0700 and people were already lining up before the place opened.

We are not experienced fisherman by far but had a blast out on the lake. We took out two boats and there were literally fish jumping all around us near the island shores. I have read through past reviews about no fish but this is not the case. In the front office there is a board listing the dates and quantify of fish stocked. I myself did not catch anything but saw about 10-15 fish jumping out of the water all around our boat and actually saw 2 fish below our boat eat off my night crawler.

I would recommend this place for any size group or family for any event. Trip advisor has this listed as a hotel which is incorrect. This is not a hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010 via mobile

Went fishing at this place for the first time on Tuesday. I've worked in Joliet for years but didn't know this place existed. Great place to go when you get out of work a little early because it's really cheap. Even in the rain I caught a six lb and a four lb catfish that I'm going to grill tonight! I will definitly be back a lot this summer.

• Stayed May 2010
Plainfield, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Spent four hours there 7/26/09, and didn't get a nibble, let alone SEE A FISH. Don't get me wrong, the place is beautiful, the water is crystal clear, and it looks like a spectacular place to fish, but that's not the case. In 4 hours, not a single hit - worked Shorelines, Islands, even the Center of the lake with Spinners, Rooster Tails, Power Bait, Mepps Comets, etc. Saw 1 person catch a tiny catfish on the shore. Didn't see anyone working lures, 99% of fishermen were still fishing with live bait. Appears that the lake hasn't been stocked in many, many months and whatever fish WERE there have been snapped up with their 6-fish keeper rule.

Will not go back - EVER.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

How could anyone be negative about this place? It is beautiful and very family friendly. We can usually pull at least a few catfish out of Plainfield, even on the hottest of summer days. Trout fishin in the spring and fall is really good there. I can't wait to get back out there.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
palos hills
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

good place to spend a lazy day! been going there for 42 years. some days i kill em some days not. caught tons of cats & trout!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

Terrible place, no fish, doesn't worth to come. They claim to stock fish, doesn't seem to be true.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Plainfield Fishing Resort? Share your experiences!