“Bar Staff Are Great, That's About It....” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bank House Hotel

You added Bank House Hotel to your Saves list
Bank House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bransford, Worcester WR6 5JD, England (Formerly Brook Bank House Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bransford
Redditch
“Bar Staff Are Great, That's About It....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Me, my wife and 20 week old daughter stayed here for a friends wedding and we were both massively disappointed with the place.

Firstly, pre-authorisation of a card.... Hotel room £80, pre-authorisation £100... still trying to figure that one out... anywhere I've stopped before either pre-authorise your card to the room value or charge your card on check out...

Secondly, we were given room 9 which was at the furthest point away from the reception and VERY awkward to get to with a baby buggy (tight doors, turns, steps, etc..)

Upon entering the room we were greeted with the smell of paint fumes, which made me a bit uneasy about staying in the room with our 20 week old daughter, I opened the window to let in the fresh air which helped and then I noticed the very dirty windows, which then lead to me running my hand on the widow sill, again dirty, then the desk in the room and TV, yes you guessed it.... both dirty.

I basically went round the room with baby wipes cleaning the desk top, bed side tables, widow sill, etc.. pulled out the chair for the desk and it had paint marks on it, not one or two but 10+, same with the other chair... we were at this point in a rush to make the wedding so we got changed quickly and headed out, I wasn't in a great mood at this point.

During the reception held in one of the function rooms we we served our meal and I had to clean some 'debris' off my apparently clean cutlery, didn't fill me full of joy considering the room!! Then we had to change the little ones nappy and were informed there isn't any baby change..... (seriously!!)

We had a great time after the meal, bar staff were very good, polite and chatty and rushed off their feet due to only 2/3 of them being available for the evening.

Had a restless night due to the little one not really sleeping well and I had one eye open due to the paint smell, etc.. (maybe over protective but hey ho) we went down for breakfast which I was looking forward to and was massively let down..

...it was pot luck on getting a clean plate, I searched through 6 (yes, I counted!) and found one that wasn't 'that bad' (cutlery was clean!!) and proceeded down the self serve buffet, but the usual breakfast items on my plate, bacon, sausage, got to the scrambled egg which was a grey/green colour inside and was promptly removed by the waitress after it was pointed out to her, the beans didn't look great and the mushrooms looked ok... Back to the table bacon, nice but the sausage one cut didn't look cooked all the way through so I told my wife to check hers, similar story there so I had 3 rashers of bacon and 4 cups of weak coffee... the apple juice was really nice though!

It's probably the first and last time I will ever stay at the Bank House and it's the first time I've ever wanted to get out of a hotel as soon as physically possible, I've stayed at better budget hotels which is a shame as the place itself has so much potential.

I never usually moan about anything, too laid back for that (to the annoyance of my wife sometimes!!) but on this occasion I fell that strongly about it I had to 'vent' a little and be honest about our experience.

All in all, very, very poor hotel with some great staff....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Richard B, General Manager at Bank House Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for writing such a candid review, the contents of which I have noted and dealt with immediately. We are going through a complete refurbishment of the hotel and the decoration of your room had been completed four days before you arrived but clearly the room had been insufficiently ventilated in the interim. The cleanliness issues you mention I can give no retrospective answer to other than to say that the investigation of why they arose has been completed and will not happen again.

Thank you for your positive comments about the staff, we are proud of having a good, hard working team and for the vision of the hotel having a lot of potential, something that everyone involved with the hotel and golf course passionately believes too.

I hope this won't be your only visit to the Bank House and hope you can find reason to visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
West Kirby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Hotel is in a nice area about 10 minutes drive into Worcester city centre. The room we had could do with upgrading as look a little tied, it suited us for the night but would like better if my stay was longer, it served the purpose!

The reception staff were extremely helpful and polite on our arrival and departure.

We only had breakfast in the restaurant which was included in our room rate of £95. The cold buffet was a bit messy as I think we were the last to go for breakfast but the hot cooked breakfast was presented really nicely, hot and delicious! The dining room floor had obviously not been swept from the previous evening as there were a few chips on the floor.

I would recommend this hotel and will use it myself in the future.

Room Tip: Not 115 as need refurbishment!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am sorry we were unable to accommodate you in a refurbished room but the room you stayed in is shortly to be completely refurbished including a new bathroom.

I was disappointed to note the comment about chips on the floor for which I apologise along with the fact that the cold buffet was clearly not presented as we would like it. The chef was pleased that you enjoyed your hot breakfast as we use the local butcher for our bacon and sausages and local farmers for the eggs & mushrooms and everything gets delivered fresh.

We hope you will come back and visit us again and eat in the evening in the restaurant or bar to enjoy the full experience.
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Paid £100 for a family room - the avocado-coloured bathroom was straight out of the 1970s. Window frames rotten, beds not particularly comfortable.
Everything about the hotel seems 'past its sell-by date'.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing your review but I was confused as we don't have any avocado bathroom suites in the hotel. As you might have spotted the hotel is going through a major refurbishment with the aim being to have completed it by the end of this year, therefore some things have yet to be dealt with whilst others are now complete.

Hopefully we can tempt you back in 2014 when all the works have been finished.
Plymouth, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Booked this hotel using their golfer package and was not disappointed. Its an interesting place, seemingly far too big for the number of clients with an air of being half empty. It is between Worcester & Malvern and easy to find. Interestingly the bar area was small for the number of rooms which seemed to be doubling up as a restaurant with a couple of laid tables. Dinner was a bit unusual as the menu didn't have many main meals if you didn't like steak and service was slow. However the meal was fine (I shouldn't have to ask the waiter for steak knives though). Our room was one of the refurbished ones hence my overall "very good" as these have been done well with a nice bright bathroom, really comfy beds and new TVs. The breakfast was okay, but the breakfast room was a bit like a canteen. The staff were all friendly. The adjacent golf course was well maintained despite the hot weather with plenty of variety and a separate clubhouse. Overall this hotel seems to have been run down over several years but you can see that the current owners are trying to restore some life into the business. Ultimately would I come again, yes, although I might opt for B&B next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, the golf course is in great condition and we are receiving a lot of positive comments about it. The bar is being refurbished later on this year and we do offer guests meals in there if they prefer the more casual dining experience to the dining room.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel & golf course again and hopefully persuade you to try the restaurant menu next time.
Gainsborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We recently stayed at the Bank House Hotel with a group of Bridge players. We were looked after extrememly well. The weather had turned unseasonably cold, and the staff pulled out all the stops to keep the hotel warm. Almost all the bedrooms had been refurbished to a very high standard and other rooms were currently being refurbished. The food was excellent and the staff (especially Mark) very helpful and willing to oblige. Sue K

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to have a good aspect. Thehotel is situated in a very quiet location. Only one coup...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Richard B, General Manager at Bank House Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay so much. The refurbishment continues and yesterday new beds were delivered and new coffee machines have been ordered so we can offer the freshest coffee made to order from bean to cup.

I hope all the bridge players enjoyed themselves, we did enjoy meeting you all and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Felixstowe, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We've stayed at the Bank House Hotel on many occasions; each time with different owners or even in liquidation! It's a very convenient rest stop for us when we are at the Showground and we have never had a truly bad visit. The current owners are really trying to improve things. The staff are very helpful and a word of praise should go to Mark who not only served us very well in the restaurant, also dealt politely and firmly with a 'rumbustious' group led by a foul-mouthed Nigel Kennedy at breakfast.
Bank House also boasts a golf course which appears to be very popular.
All rooms have the usual facilities and are perfectly fine expecially the Executive ones. Free internet and ample parking add to the package and make the occasional bolshie guest more tolerable.

We will be at the Bank House again in September for the Autumn show let's hope the current owners and staff are still there.

• Stayed May 2013
Richard B, General Manager at Bank House Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for leaving us such a lovely review, Mark was delighted to be mentioned especially over such a delicate situation.

The new owners have plans to invest heavily into the hotel and its facilities and the impact of this will be obvious not only to our new guests but to regulars like you who will undoubtedly see a big change when you return in September.

All refurbishment work is continuing quietly and we are conscious of our guests' needs for a relaxing stay away so nothing noisy is happening when guests are in the hotel.

The Bank House is very lucky in being so ideally placed and we find visitors to both Malvern & Worcester find it the perfect spot to escape to the country but remain just a short drive from both places.

We look forward to showing off all the changes to you when you return later on in the year.
Windsor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I last reviewed this hotel in May 2012 and despite what I said at the time and the fact that there was no room at any other inn - we stayed there again!

Allegedly, there have been refurbishments which in the proprietor's speak seems to mean a lick of paint and stain-free carpets! I must say that my room wasn't dreadful but I did have to put the wall heater on full blast and although I am 5' and by no means a lightweight the single bed in my twin-bedded room would have been more suited to an aneroxic dwarf - it was tiny! The colleagues that visited with me both had problems with noisy neighbours, heaters that didn't work and the TV reception was non-existent!

As for the food - well as we had been there before it came as no suprise to us that at breakfast the toaster kept setting itself on fire, all I can is that the smoke detectors can't have any sense of smell as despite black clouds of vapour emitting from said contraption it didn't go off once! The food was edible, but not of a high standard and we didn't even attempt to have an evening meal there!

On our last day a group of middle-aged men entered the breakfast room (definitely not golfers, these guys would have looked more at home in park clutching a can of Special Brew) they obviously hadn't slept, were rowdy and at least two of them had brought in alcohol at 8am in the morning. I am no prude, but it did make myself and my companions feel uneasy and whilst we were there they were not asked to tone it down, nor was the alcohol taken away, which, in my view is poor management and not taking your clientele in to consideration!

Once again I, personally, found the majority of the staff to be friendly and helpful and find it a great shame that the facilities are sadly lacking in so many ways. Get your act together guys and you could have a really nice, friendly establishment on your hands!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Bank House Hotel. The hotel was bought by the current owner at the end of April 2013 and therefore the refurbishment programme had little time to make an impact prior to your stay.

I am delighted to be able to say that to date new carpets have been laid, bedrooms have been redecorated and the refurbishment of the reception areas has also been started. In addition our golf club's clubhouse has received some attention all of which is part of the overall programme planned to quietly continue over the coming months.

We are conscious to keep any disruption from the refurbishment to a minimum and hope this didn't impact on your stay.

I'm sorry you didn't take the opportunity to sample our food, the chef sources predominantly from seasonal ingredients in the local area and is looking forward to building on his current menu. The breakfast ingredients are from local butchers and growers which does make it a great start to the day. I can see how the experience of the unruly gentlemen may have made breakfast a slightly tarnished affair but we did ask them to calm down and ultimately we managed to remove them from the breakfast room which hopefully we succeeded in doing in a quiet and dignified way.

We have wonderful new beds arriving on 29th May which will get over any size issues and certainly offer a great degree of comfort. In addition we have all new 32" LED TVs arriving before the end of May which will give a better experience than the ones currently in the bedrooms.

I am delighted that you found the team here so friendly we think the world of the Bank House and with the continued investment from the new owner I am certain that you would notice the changes to the property in the short time since your departure.

We hope it will be third time lucky and look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future.

Been to Bank House Hotel? Share your experiences!