“Major disappointment” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 22 hotels in Peoria
Chicago, Illinois
“Major disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I was looking forward to using and building my status with spg so I chose this hotel. I realize now I should have checked the reviews here first! First of all it took forever for me to find my room, considering the signage listing didn't even include my room number. After three trips to the front desk for directions (dragging my luggage) I found that my room was with the indoor pool and no outside window (never mind that my reservation read "river/city view"). I figured I could live with the pool right outside my door even if I don't swim, but I couldn't live with the dead drain flies on the windowsill or the ants crawling in the bathroom. Seriously! Three calls from the house phone to the front desk went unanswered so I called the hotel from my cell phone as I was repacking my bag...again no answer. The worst was the total lack of reaction from the desk clerk when I told him I'm leaving...it was as if he hears this regularly! It's a shame because its a good location and nice building, lobby etc. and there's no other Starwood property in the area. Oh well, at least I found another room nearby much nicer and less expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear MWMan,
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel. We clearly did not meet or exceed your expectations. Please contact me at lrose@fourpointspeoria.com to discuss your stay further. We sincerely hope the rest of your visit in Peoria was a good one.

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Aside from the outdated tired decor and state of the property, the service is really spotty. I waited 90 minutes for room service because they forgot my order and had a hard time reaching the front desk, room service and guest services by phone. Probably the most disappointing Four Points I've stayed in, the Marriott down the street looks much nicer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear mcamym,
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. Great customer service is very important to us and we will ensure that we implement the necessary trainings to ensure that we are delivering great guest experiences. Please contact me at lrose@fourpointspeoria.com to discuss your stay further. We sincerely hope the rest of your visit in Peoria was a good one.
Terre Haute, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Hope you packed patience in your luggage; you're going to need some extra if you stay here.
We were part of the Girls Softball World Series for our M - F stay in downtown Peoria, IL. The hotel was teaming with many families, all with gear that goes along with this type of event. My daughter booked the room in February. The hotel canceled the booking 2 weeks prior to the stay. The only way she found out they had done so was through an email from the father of a member of the team; he had received an email asking how his stay at the hotel went. When he called the hotel to say he wasn't due to arrive for another couple of weeks, he was informed that they couldn't find a reservation for him for the date he gave. They did find a room for him. Subsequently, the team parent sent out an info email to other parents. There were other such happenstances with others. Could need to retrain reservationists and keep an eye on the process. This needs to be a focus of management.
During our stay, only one of the two lobby elevators were working. They opened up the tiny maintenance elevator at the back of the hotel. It was difficult squeezing softball equipment & cleaning trolleys together along with people. Plan to leave 20-30 minutes to wait for the elevator. Of course, you could use the stairs.
Our room was clean, but do check under the beds. We had candy, feathers, & could tell it hadn't been vacuumed in a while. Also, the tub had a chunk taken out of the enamel on the top. However, the beds & bedding were clean & comfortable. We had two double beds & could see the river. Currently, only floors 6 & above have small refrigerators if you need one. The opposite side of the hallway either look into or down on the hotel parking garage. It was nice to have the garage connected to the hotel.
The cleaning staff was fantastic, friendly, & responsive. They are the jewels of this property. I need to give kudos to the maintenance man, too. He was quick & helpful in repairing a broken chain in the tank of the toilet. YAY!
We did receive cocktail tickets, which was nice. A buffet breakfast was provided on the lower level, as part of the GSWS attendees. Food was prepared nicely & had a good variety. The room was difficult to find the first time. Needed to have more signage pointing the way.
Downtown Peoria is quite quiet. There wasn't much goin on. Call restaurants before you go; they may have closed.
Speaking of restaurants...there is a bar & restaurant (used to be a Benigan's) at the hotel. Slow service, mixed up bills (check the items & price; we were handed a bill that had another group's bar bill on it.), & had to ask for flatware AFTER our food was served. There is a pizza place about a block away that delivers.

• Stayed July 2013
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Eledind,
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. We clearly did not meet or exceed your expectations. Unfortunately the new elevator motor we ordered was delayed, thus we were down an elevator during your visit. We sincerely apologize for the reservation confusion. We have had some staff changes and will do our best to ensure that we are consistently delivering great customer service. Please contact me at lrose@fourpointspeoria.com should you wish to discuss your experience further. We sincerely hope the rest of your stay in Peoria and the softball tournament was a good one.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Like I said, I'm generally not very impressed w/Four Points by Sheraton. They often seem like old properties that have been recycled one too many times. This certainly isn't a new property, but I thought the room was completely fine -- it good sized and comfortable. Staff were completely pleasant. The food in the bar was OK.

One thing to be aware of: the parking ramp is seriously weird. You enter in from an alley. If you park on the ground level (the level you drive in on), to leave the ramp, you have to go up one level, and then be quick to see where the exit down is. Really, it's confusing the first time you confront it.

But the parking is free. The ramp is a little dark. So, I could imagine some people might feel a little uncomfortable in there at night. On the other hand, it's so non-intuitive to get into, I can imagine someone up to no good just might not find the place either. :-)

Room Tip: 8th Floor Facing the River was a completely great place to be.
Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear rw939,
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at Four Points Peoria Downtown. We are delighted that you enjoyed our hotel amenities and restaurant. We will share your comments about the parking ramp with our team as we continue to evaluate ways to improve our hotel. We hope you'll come back to see us should your travels bring you back to Peoria in the future.
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Was in Peoria for Midwest business Mtg. Facilities very good. Service was poor. Cable TV was non functional and no in room Wifi. Asked for 20 % rate reduction, management said it wasn't their problem.

When your hotel is not willing to give a 20% break on the bill when service is sub standard, No Recommendations here!

I will recommend to our board of Directors to remove Four Points Sheraton- Peoria from future meeting plans!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.. Stay at the Embassy Suites!
Dear Madwolf,
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed our meeting facilities and are sincerely sorry about the technical issues that you experienced. We have had our engineers look into resolving this. We hope you'll give us another chance to make this up to you.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Many of the reviews for this hotel are pretty ghastly, but most of those refer to what the place was like under its previous owners. Some of the more recent reviews are more favorable, and those reflect my experience much more than the reviews that are currently on the right hand margin of the page I'm typing on. The place has clearly been cleaned up and updated and everything worked properly. I expect that there were an assortment of problems during and after the changeover, but they now seem to have their act in order. The staff were fine, and I had no problems. There was a conference of some sort going on, but nothing really big, so I didn't see the place under maximum pressure, but I also saw nothing to justify the complaints I had read. The price was good, and I had wanted something within walking distance of the ballpark, so I was quite satisfied and would go back there.

Room Tip: Higher floors might have a better view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear James S,
We really appreciate your comments, thanks for sharing! As you mentioned, we recently changed ownership and have been making changes to enhance our service and guest experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed our service and accommodations during your recent stay. We hope you and your family will come back to see us soon.
Muskegon, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We left instructions at Guest Services that all we needed in the room was coffee, tea, shampoo and soap. When arriving back in the evening everything was done EXCEPT coffee, tea, shampoo and soap. Again requested the same for the next day and upon arriving that evening, the door was ajar, no coffee, no tea, but did have shampoo and soap. ONCE AGAIN requested the same as the first day, and everything was done except coffee, tea, shampoo and soap. This same pattern continued until we left on Sunday morning. Six days and housekeeping could not get it right. We realized the hotel was full, however, they knew this was going to happen weeks ahead of time. One elevator was broken for almost three days and guests had to use the service elevator when hotel staff was using it as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear edd w,
We are so sorry about the housekeeping issues that you had experienced during your recent stay at our hotel. We have shared your comments with our team to ensure that we deliver consistent service to each of our guests. We hope we can make this up to you should you visit us in Peoria again. Take care!

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown? Share your experiences!