“Needs an update ASAP” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Chicago, Illinois
“Needs an update ASAP”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night on points. Overall, the hotel needs a lot of updates - reminiscent of other Sheraton 4 Points properties prior to an upgrade. The room had a stale smell of smoke and was not in great shape. We stay in lots of hotels with our children and use the pull out couch - this one had lots of little nuggets under it...ditto with the carpet under the bed. Even if the room needs a refresh, it can still be cleaned satisfactorily.

The people were very nice and the pool was huge which was a nice bonus except the pool towels were extremely small. Breakfast buffet was average. It has a good location....next time I would be tempted to try the Embassy Suites across the river until an upgrade is completed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear wineglobelovers,
We are so sorry that you and your family did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. We will be sharing your feedback with our team to ensure that we are meeting the expectations of our guests. We will also be undergoing renovations late this summer and hope you'll give us another chance. Please contact our Guest Service Manager, Victoria Mccristal at Victoria.mccristal@fourpointspeoria.com to discuss your experience further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were in town for a family event so many of us stayed in this hotel.
On the plus side:
* The staff was efficient and welcoming.
* The shuttle driver was very kind and drove our large party to a local restaurant and picked us up later.
* It was well-located in downtown Peoria and within the walking distance to the Cornerstone Building for the wedding we attended.

On the minus side:
* The rooms were not well-cleaned. The mirror on the bathroom door was spotted with water or hairspray; the coffee tray was not cleaned on the second day and cups were not replaced.
* The fans on the air conditioner in our room sounded like a jet taking off so it wasn't a quiet atmosphere for sleeping.
* Other guests were very loud in the lobby area on more than one occasion--children and adults.

More attention to small details could go a long way towards improving the quality of services at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear marsle,
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. Clearly we did not meet your expectations or ours. Cleanliness is very important to us and we will be sure to share your comments with our housekeeping staff. We will also be undergoing a renovation late this summer and hope you'll come back to see our new look. If you would like, please feel free to contact me directly at vmccristal@fourpointspeoria.com so that can discuss your experience further.
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had a business lunch there (did not stay at the hotel). The food and service were both excellent. I also have heard that there is an all-new management team, and that they plan a $5M remodel/restoration of the hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Peoguy1001,
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent business lunch at Four Points. We are delighted that you enjoyed the cuisine and service. As you mentioned we will be renovating later this summer. We hope you'll come back to see our new look. Take care!
Peoria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

From my conversation with reservations to the so called buffet breakfast, this was the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in. It's very dated, which I hate. Our room opened to the pool and smelled of chlorine. Everything was old, fixtures, carpet, air conditioning unit, old, old. Not attractive at all. The buffet was ok but there were not enough workers to keep plates stocked, etc. it was only 12.96 but there was not much variety. I could go on and on. Do NOT stay at this hotel. You won't be happy with it.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear cakenana,
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. We will be sure to share your feedback with our catering department to ensure that we are adequately staffing the buffet. We will begin our renovations late this summer, we hope you'll give us another chance and come back to see our new look. Please contact our Guest Service Manager, Victoria Mccristal at Victoria.mccristal@fourpointspeoria.com if you'd like to discuss your experience further. We sincerely hope the rest of your stay in Peoria was a good one.
toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have traveled 2-3 times a month for +10 years and write a review on only a fraction of the places I have been.

This hotel is the worst I've been in. Period.

Please check my other reviews. You should find only one other negative one and that place was great compared to this one. The rest are positive. This should tell you how unacceptable this one is.

Let me start by saying that with the exception of the final experience I will mention below regarding trying to leave, the staff were extraordinarily pleasant -- just not in a position to make up for the hotel.

Details?

It is actually the second time I stayed there

The first time?
> I was put in a room which was intensely dark. As I planned to work for the afternoon on a sunny day I asked if there was any chance they could move me and they did move me to a sunny room. YEAH!!!!
> The internet was intolerably slow and I spent about an hour online with with their internet provider trying to fix it. One of the "cool" parts of that experience was discovering the room number on my phone which the provider kept asking for - was not the same as that on my room. It added to the duration and confusion of trying to repair the connection.
> I ordered room service. I had to phone back after probably 45 minutes (of the 20 predicted) to see if it was ok for me to leave the room or if it was coming soon. It had "just left"!. The salad was so decayed the greens were past slippery to slimy . Inedible. My other item had been topped with cheese which was melted - at some point in the past. By time it reached me the dish was stone cold and I had to pry the glutinous cold mass of cheese off the top to try to get to the food underneath.

The following morning upon comparing notes with a colleague we discovered we'd had identical experiences regarding the lack of freshness of the salad. They should have thrown the bag out the week before.

This time, upon arrival as the cab pulled up from the airport, I realized I'd been here before but remembered little of the above. Upon check in I did ask if they had a nice room like the one I had last time. They said they were giving me one with a "pretty nice view". I wish I had taken a picture. It faced a multilevel parking lot which was taller than my level by a number of floors. They would have been better to simply say they were giving me what was left available vs conveying they thought that had a view.

Since I was only there for the evening and had to make calls I decided to live with it. That's when I discovered (1) no working phone in the room (2) internet so very slow I could not connect.

After a few calls using my cell I tried recabling the phone from the wall out and tested both lines. No dial tone. I went to the elevator to call about the phone and internet from the guest phone. They offered to give me the phone number for their internet provider again (no thanks!!) ... and to send up engineering. I returned to my room and after trying both lines on the phone again, pulled it apart again and tried again . I got a dial tone on line 2 as the engineer arrived. The problem summary was "oh yah -- with those old phones you can only use line 2". I did realize at that time that once again the room number on the phone was not the room number I was staying in (not even the same floor).

Time had passed and it was time for dinner. I placed an order avoiding all leaf products and sat down to work for the 20-25 minutes predicted. Sure enough 45 minutes late I phoned down and they were -- um -- "just leaving". I waited another 15 and phoned. Someone different answered the phone because my food was on it's way.

Once again when it arrived it was clear that the food had been prepared for some time. The sandwich had once warm, now congealed melted cheese. The fries were cool, limp and clammy. There were no condiments of any kind. (Ketchup? Mayo?) My beer did arrive cold. However there was also no glass of any kind.

Ah well I thought .. at least they are consistent

Throughout the evening there was an unpleasant odor in the room that I concluded came from the bathroom. I could not locate the source of it so closed the door and hoped for the best.

I must say the breakfast offered was nice. I opted for an omelette as I was craving freshly prepared, still warm food. I chatted some time with the pleasant young man preparing them as I was third in line. He did struggle somewhat with technique -- leaving the insides quite runny .... then attempting to fold the omelete by flipping it with the pan like a pancake. Since the contents were not yet cooked firmly it did have some messy outcomes at times. This all made a bit more sense when I learned he had not been previously trained to make them -- he had apparently just been told to stand at this station today. I give him great marks for his accomplishments which were more than edible ... if not always pretty!

Back in the room (I start early) I had a number of calls and took a break to phone the front desk at 8:30 to ask for a taxi at 9:00 to get to my 9:30 client meeting. They asked for an address which I gave. They asked if it was in Peoria and I said yes 15 minutes away.

At 9:00 pm I arrive in the lobby and ask about a cab. Oh yes "the address". Is that in Peoria? Yes I'm pretty sure it still is. Where is the cab. Oh ... let me phone. It will be here in 5 minutes.

Fifteen minutes later I asked again about a cab. I was informed that they work for the hotel company not the cab company and are not responsible. I asked to call another company and they were hesitant to do so. I finally asked for the phone book so I could begin calling taxis. The two front desk staff took up a chant that "we work for the hotel not the cab company" (I actually am pretty familiar with the roles -- as well as the normal service attitude about helping clients travel -- but we'll set that aside).

About that time another guest who was also lingering in the lobby noted a cab driving down the street and ran out to hail it for me. It turned out he was waiting for the mythical shuttle to the airport for as long as I'd waited for a cab so had nothing better to do.

"You can check out any time you like ... but you can never leave! Thanking the fellow guest profusely I jumped in the cab and made a brief comment to the cab driver about how odd they are at that establishment. His quiet response was "yup there are better hotels in town for sure".

Understatement of the year.

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. I fully trust Peoria has fine places to stay. This is not one of them ... move on.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear jfmack,
First off, I would like to apologize for the experience you encountered this weekend. We take great pride in the service we deliver to all of our guests and by all accounts, we fell very short of our expectations as well as yours. I can assure you we’ve addressed the issue with our staff to ensure no guests experience this in the future. I apologize that you were dissatisfied with Bennigan's. We currently don’t manage the restaurant, however they will be closing in less than 30 days with a new restaurant that we will manage coming soon. Again, I am sorry for your experience, but please be assured we’ve addressed it with our staff. If you would like, please feel free to contact me directly at vmccristal@fourpointspeoria.com so we can speak further. Thanks and have a great day.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was with a group of 200+ people and on multiple occasions people were complaining about being ill after the banquet food. In addition to this, the security was overbearing and overall not helpful. In addition to this, a room was broken into and many valuables were stolen. Many of us had room mix-ups and room key issues. The elevators also could not handle a large party. The pool deck was gross, there were broken fixtures in the room, and to top it all off, I found insect bites all over my ankles when I woke up the next day! I was not the only one- multiple people on different floors in different wings ran into the same problem. All in all I was not impressed, and seeing as this was the second time our group had a problem with the convention location, even with the changed management, needless to say we will not be coming back next year.

• Stayed June 2013
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Theycallmecarl,
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. Your review will be brought up in our next team meeting to ensure that we are delivering a consistent group experience. We would like to make this up to you. Please reach out to me at Victoria.mccristal@fourpointspeoria.com to discuss this further. We sincerely hope the rest of your stay in Peoria was a good one.
Iowa City, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

drove 3 hours for a show in peoria at the civic center. we were at the hotel at 3pm. made reservations over 3 months prior and we were shipped 5 miles away to a crappy hotel. Ruined the night. Horrible front desk staff, incompetent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear johnboy4225,
We are so sorry that you had to change hotels and did not enjoy your stay. We clearly did not meet or exceed your expectations. We are undergoing a renovation this summer and hope that you’ll give us another chance and come back to see our new look. Please feel free to contact me at Victoria.mccristal@fourpointspeoria.com.com to discuss this further. We sincerely hope that the rest of your visit to Peoria was a good one.

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown? Share your experiences!