“One working elevator for the entire week?!?!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
New York City, New York
“One working elevator for the entire week?!?!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

I almost gave this hotel 2 stars; but that wouldn't be entirely fair so I will give it 2 1/2 stars. Let me start with the good: the bed was very comfortable, and the gym was well equipped. The room, while out dated and worn, was clean. The shuttle was great when it was available. But that is about all I've got for the positives. There was ONE working elevator the entire week my group there. And let me tell you; the working elevator was slow at best. The weekend was a crowded nightmare! The front desk was full of short excuses and no apologies. There are little to NO restaurants in walking distance which wouldn't be a terrible problem except for the fact that the hotel restaurant is terrible and is closed for much of the afternoon and evenings (after 10pm).

On Halloween night, the person next door to me had a drunk man trying to kick in her door at 1am (apparently he thought it was his room). It took security almost 10 minutes (we timed it) to come and escort him away to his own room.

Like I have stated in my other reviews; I travel for my job, so I stay in many fine hotels (and some not so fine!). Read my others reviews; I think I am pretty fair.

I really should have give this hotel 2 stars. Go elsewhere if you stay in Peoria.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FourPointsPeoria, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
We appreciate that you shared your feedback and the aspects of your stay that you enjoyed. It is disappointing, however, that your stay missed the mark and we apologize for any inconvenience. We regret any delays that were a result of the elevator that required maintenance, the issue has been resolved and we are thankful for your understanding. Please be assured that the safety of our guests is our top priority and we take each call to our on-site security team very seriously. In addition to the convenience of our on-site restaurant, we offer a complimentary area shuttle, perfect for exploring the riverfront or the numerous shops and restaurants nearby. Thank you for your feedback, we hope you'll consider giving us another try in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights for a business trip. The room was nicely decorated and clean. Unfortunately, the housekeeping service was pretty poor. My trash wasn't emptied one day and my complimentary bottled water was not replaced. One day, the housekeeper didn't even take her tip. Breakfast was very good and plentiful. Bennigan's restaurant is a typical chain steakhouse. Ok food but poor service. It was customer appreciation week at the hotel and there were always some tasty snacks and drinks in the lobby which I enjoyed.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

While it's great to read that you found your guest room comfortable and enjoy the special touches during Customer Appreciate Week, we regret if anything in your room was amiss and will share your comments with our housekeeping team to ensure our guest rooms are refreshed promptly each day. Thank you for your feedback, we hope that you'll come back in the future.
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Unfortunately, I did not have the best of stays at this Four Points by Sheraton.

The hotel room was in desperate need of an update. When we pulled back the curtains there was nice spider web waiting there for us. The bathroom was small and the tub was stained and dirty. The only upside was a comfortable bed and large TV.

I found myself sneezing and blowing my nose constantly in this room. On the suggestion of a friend staying in the same hotel we checked the filter of the air conditioner. Horrifying. The filter was caked with dust and lint. It was awful.

On top of all this, another fellow occupant had a rowdy hotel guest attempt to break into their room in the middle of the night. The hotel was not very active in settling the matter, letting the offending guest check out without any action taken against them.

This hotel was not my favorite. Not terribly unclean, but not a place you would walk around in with bare feet. I would be reticent to stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
FourPointsPeoria, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
We are deeply disappointed to learn that your stay with us was not more positive, however, we appreciate that you let us know of the aspects of your time that did not meet your expectations. We wish we had known of these issues during your time with us and had the opportunity to resolved them when it mattered most. Our maintenance and housekeeping teams will be sure to look further into your feedback to ensure that our guest rooms are at their best. Our onsite security takes the safety of our guests very seriously and responds swiftly to any reported incidents. Thank you for your review, we hope you’ll reconsider a future stay with us.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Although it needs some updating, the room was a good size, the bed was very comforable and the air conditioner worked great. My only negative was that our room was never vacuumed and they forgot to replace things like coffee cups and those (very) small soaps. The breakfast buffet was always plentiful and good. Whenever we did need anything they were very courteous and prompt.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
FourPointsPeoria, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
We're so glad you had a pleasant stay at the Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown. It's great that you enjoyed our spacious accommodations complete with our signature Four Points by Sheraton Four Comfort bedding. Our on-site Bennigan's Grill and Tavern is a great place to fuel up before a busy day and we're glad you agree. We regret if anything in your room was amiss, your comments will be shared to ensure our rooms are at their absolute best. Thank you for your feedback, please come back again soon.
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

The room was well appointed, immaculately clean and well stocked with personal supplies including cotton balls. Large open closet with a ton of hangers. Comfortable temperature control with constant white noise made for restful sleep for me. Comfortable bed and linens with huge, fluffy pillows, four per bed. Microwave and fridge in my SPG room. As a woman traveling alone I confess to being alert and wary in the area esp. at night. FREE shuttle service around town to restaurants etc, and back. Pleasant staff, alert to needs and friendly. Gift shop can have funky hours, inconsistent times. Bennigans restaurant on property. Work out room. I will definitely go back. This was my second time there in two years. About three blocks to riverfront area. Two blocks to civic center. Beautiful parks, memorials and sculptures sprinkled through area, with some interesting old architecture nearby as well. Easy to get to from route 74. Close to major hospitals, too.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
FourPointsPeoria, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Your glowing review of the Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown means a great deal to us as it is our top priority to provide guests with everything they need for a pleasant stay. We appreciate your kind mention of our convenient location and spacious accommodations. It is wonderful that you enjoyed our comfortable Four Points by Sheraton Four Comfort beds and numerous hotel amenities. We truly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon, thank you.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I recently went to a conference, and many of us stayed at this hotel. People who had rooms above the first floor (like, the 8th floor) had great things to say ..... but my colleague and I had a double-bed room on the first floor. Beds were great, but there were stains on the one chair, scorch marks on the lampshade, and the room was very cramped. Bathroom had a few issues also (and, um .... please consider adding a fan, not just a light). Another colleague had a first floor room where there was only 1 set of curtains (not the usual 2 that rooms have), and she was on the first floor, also -- she felt very unsafe, and requested a room change for the second night. She got one of the rooms on the 8th floor and said it was wonderful.

I think the hotel is okay, but it would be nice if they could close off and remodel the first floor rooms to bring them up to the level found in the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: Anything above the first floor rooms should be great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Our greatest hope is to deliver comfortable accommodations and stellar service to each of our guests, so please accept our sincerest apologize if your stay missed the mark. We can assure you that our hotel, known for high standards in regard to our accommodations, takes your feedback to heart and will further investigate comments related to your guest room. Thank you for sharing your review with us, we hope you'll consider giving us another chance in the future.
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed at this hotel 1 night, as the guest of a conference being held there. I'd read the reviews and was worried - correctly, as it turned out. The parking garage was poorly-lighted and not convenient to the hotel, for starters - that is, there as no way to get to it from the hotel itself; you had to walk across a drive which didn't look very well lit, and get in a rather sinister-looking, dirty elevator to reach the higher levels. I would not have wanted to traverse this at night. When I left this morning, there was no one at the gate to receive payment (although my parking was validated by the hotel).

Check in was lukewarm, the lobby was really tired and outdated. The room, however, was worse. I'm not saying it was filthy - the bed, at any rate, was clean and comfortable. And it wasn't as if there were massive stains in the very old, worn, carpet, which appeared to have been decently vacuumed. At first it only appeared to be a very tired, outdated room. But upon closer inspection, it was more than that. The waste can in the room hadn't been emptied from the previous guest. The full-length mirror in the bathroom hadn't been cleaned in who knows how long - it was coated with residue and water spots. There was a gaping hole where the fan was - it was just a big, dust-covered blade in a big round hole, dry-wall exposed, not covered at all. The wallpaper was torn, and the baseboard, at one corner, was held together with tape. The sink in the bathroom drained very slowly.

It was so distasteful that I got the heck out of there first thing this morning, unwilling to shower in that bathroom. I left a comment card (I forgot to mention the sink drain, however), and the front desk read it, and tried to summon a manager to see if they could do something for my bill - so there's that, I guess. But I explained that someone else had paid for my room, so if they did anything, they should contact that organization. Also, while I was checking out, someone else was voicing complaints about her room, as well.

I definitely would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
It is truly regrettable to learn that a guest's experience does not meet expectations. Please be assured that our on-site parking deck is secure and offers ample self-parking to our guests. We sincerely apologize if you found any aspect of your accommodations to be lacking, your comments will certainly be shared with our housekeeping and maintenance teams to ensure our rooms are at their best for our guests. We're grateful you shared your concerns with our front desk staff and wish we had the opportunity to make your stay more comfortable. Thank you for your review, we hope you'll reconsider a stay with us in the future so that we may change your impression.

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Peoria Downtown? Share your experiences!