“Rooms cramped due to TERRIBLE Layout!!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
“Rooms cramped due to TERRIBLE Layout!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We were in Peoria for business and to visit friends. We selected the Candlewood Suites at Grand Prairie due to proximity to our friends.

Unfortunately, it seems Candlewood Suites has really stretched to consider the rooms in this hotel as a SUITE. According to Webster, a SUITE is "a group of rooms in a hotel that is used by one person, couple, family, etc." What we found at Candlewood Suites Peoria at Grand Prairie was an L-shaped room with a bathroom and closet. There was a refrigerator, kitchen sink and small stove, but there was basically ONE room with a bathroom and closet !!

Worst of all, the bed was in the short leg of the "L" and was shoved into the corner - up against the wall so they could squeeze a recliner into that portion of the room. So with two people in the bed, one person had to crawl in & out of the bed. A really poor layout especially considering the room rate of more than $120 per night. As far as this being a 'budget' hotel, I do not consider a rate over $120 per night as 'budget.'

There was a small gym with bikes and treadmills and a weight machine. There was also a free laundry. However there was no swimming pool, no room service and no breakfast service. Free coffee was the best they could offer.

This is a bare basic hotel that charges high rates by calling their rooms 'suites'.

Room Tip: I would suggest looking for a different hotel. I have stayed at better hotels in Peoria for lower r...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Peoria at Grand Prairie, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Glen J,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re very sorry you were not satisfied with the layout of the room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Always stay here when in peoria
hotel is immaculate with good size bedrooms. Good gym and handy for local shopping. Probably one off the best budget hotels in the area. Ihow to never had a bad stay yet. Great hi speed Internet.

I used to use Stoney Creek but that has become to dated and wifi to sluggish.

• Stayed September 2013
Spencer S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Peoria at Grand Prairie, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review! It truly is fantastic to hear that you are a return guest to the hotel, we do value you and appreciate your continued loyalty to us here at the Candlewood Suites. I hope that you will come and see us again soon!
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The facilities were acceptable here, but the over enthusiastic guy on the front desk ruined our evening. On checking in, my husband and I had spotted what looked like an excellent local BBQ restaurant very close to the hotel. Before going out to do some shopping, I stopped to ask this guy what time that restaurant closed. Even though this over enthusiastic guy was standing in front a computer at the front desk, where he could have easily checked their website to get an accurate hour of closing for me, he failed to follow through and just said, "Oh, it's Saturday night and everything around here is open late." Trusting him, we planned our evening accordingly, and were totally disappointed when we pulled the door handle of the restaurant at 8:55 p.m. and they had closed just a few minutes earlier. There were no other comparable options for us to go to. Our suggestion to Mr. Over Enthusiastic is that if you just please would check your facts before you brush off questions at the front desk, guests would benefit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Peoria at Grand Prairie, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear PA32pilot,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am glad that you found our facilities to be adequate for your needs. However, I am sorry that your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our reception staff. Your comments will be shared with them so that they can further improve on their efforts.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Staff
Attentive, recognized my priority club status and seeing that I was exhausted after a transatlantic flight offered a choice of food from the pantry FOC. Nice touch!

Room
Immaculate and comfortable. Fridge and microwave great and recliner a nice touch.

Overall cleanliness
Seen some negative comments here, but can't understand why. The staff clean constantly and the whole hotel is spotless!

I continue to heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
What a fantastic review! I am so excited that you had such a great stay and that the team here at the Candlewood Suites attended to your needs in a way that was beneficial to you. I can't wait to share this review with our team!
Bark River, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had to spend 3 weeks here for business, and it was a very clean, nice hotel. The staff is very helpful and friendly. My room was clean, but the dishes were not the cleanest, and I ended up rewashing them. I liked how clean the entire hotel was including the gym and the laundry facilities. The free laundry was a great bonus. Overall the hotel was pretty quiet, but it is not soundproof, and I sometimes heard a dog bark or people walking in room above me. This is not a regular hotel - it's an extended stay, so you should know going in that they only clean the rooms 1/week, they don't have all of the daily replacement amenities that regular hotels have. The mattress was very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Spencer S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Peoria at Grand Prairie, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review. If you are ever in the area again we hope to see you!
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Coming from the DC area and tried to find an extended stay hotel that was flexible and within my budget. I happend upon Candlewood, called and set my reservation. From that moment I felt this is a caring staff. Great location, close to fantastic shopping and eating, easy to get to downtown, etc. All of the staff was friendly, fun to be around and made being away from my family bearable. I would highly recommend staying here for a few days, weeks or months.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Morton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed here for several weeks awaiting our home to close. This was our second Candlewood experience and we were certainly impressed! The hotel was pet friendly, rooms are spacious and very, very clean. I would recommend this place as an extended stay for anyone as you aren't going to beat the quality and price. I hope this quality can prove consistent over time and location. Although they do not have a pool, my understanding was the same hotel group owns the pool next door and allowed my family to utilize that while we enjoyed the amenities that were peculiar to our place. Robin, the clerk at the front desk, was very friendly and went out of her way to make sure our family was cared for and felt welcome.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Candlewood Suites Peoria at Grand Prairie? Share your experiences!