“Service so horrible, we didn't eat” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Sherman
“Service so horrible, we didn't eat”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Came in at 1140 on a Saturday afternoon. Only 3 other tables with people sitting. After sitting and no highchairs available (only 2 in the entire place), the waitress informs us it is breakfast until noon. No splitting checks (i.e. it's either breakfast or lunch) and no high chair b/c is "been like a daycare in here all morning long". So we ask her to give us a minute to decide - she takes 15min. So when she returns, we try to order breakfast and she states now they are only serving lunch...time elapsed to just after noon. Again, not very apologetic and walks away while we decide on lunch. Instead, we pick up and leave and will not be returning.

• Visited August 2013

Normal, Illinois
“Love the eclectic vibe!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Went there for dinner last night. We will *definitely* return.

Our service was good - not great, but good. We got our food in literally 5 minutes (!). The server rocked until she got really busy and then it was impossible to get her attention.

The food was UNBELIEVABLE! This was the best crawfish etoufee I've ever had - I wanted to lick my bowl clean! And while I really hate garlic bread, the "garlic toast" that came with it was not garlicky at all and really, really good (homemade bread, I think). I definitely inhaled that, too. My husband had the Gumbo w/chicken and sausage. It was smoky and delicious and had a slow burn that had a perfect kick for someone who likes their foot spicy hot.

I thought the portions were a bit small for the dinner prices (mine was eighteen bucks), but I felt better when I saw that everything on the dessert menu was only five bucks.

My husband got the chocolate praline cake (layered with whipped cream and enjoying a lovely caramel drizzle over it all...OMG!) and I had the cherry almond crumble. Mine was warm and lovely, though I was a bit disappointed that the whipping cream on it came out of a can (boo), but both of our desserts were clearly homemade and not that generic restaurant frozen Sysco crap that so many restaurants serve, so we were still impressed.

We were seated 12 inches from the kitchen (no -seriously - 12 inches from one of the prep counters. Had I been a heavy person, I would have had my back up against the bar-like prep counter) and there was no kitchen noise to speak of. This is likely because the place itself is loud and so any kitchen noise was drowned out by the noise in general. The only thing that bothered me was having to constantly wave a gaggle of fruit flies away from our plates as we ate dinner. Management: you have a fruit fly problem. As someone who has worked in many restaurants, I get this, but you've ~got~ to fix it. There was one very pesky housefly, too, and I didn't like that either because I know where his feet had been before they were on my table: gross! But I was so enjoying every bite of food I ate that I got over it.

Our table was about 24" away from the next table, and that's how this restaurant is. If you want quiet and private, you won't get it here. A large person couldn't fit between us and the people around us.

The decor was eclectic and funky and we LOVED the vibe.

The band started playing at 8 and they were really good. Then the place started to feel more like a bar, and the later it got the more people were milling about kind of waiting to pounce on our table once we left. I wasn't in love with this, but I really enjoyed the music, despite the fact that it was a bit loud. When we return, we'll be sure to be done eating by 8 so we can just sit back and enjoy the music.

The only reason I didn't give Rhythm Kitchen 5 stars is 1) the fruit fly problem, and 2) the ultimately overworked server from whom we never were able to get a to-go box for our leftovers and so we finally gave up and left them behind.

Highly recommended if this is your kind of thing. :)

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Needs better service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Ate at Rhythm Kitchen on a recent Sat. night. Called ahead to see if they took reservations (they don't). Their phone rang for almost a minute before anyone even answered. When we arrived around 8 p.m. they had a band playing and the place was packed. No tables were available and no one seemed to be in charge of seating people. It was a bit chaotic. My wife and I were starting to leave to dine elsewhere when some friends spotted us and asked us to join them which we did. Then we waited about 15 minutes or more before we could track down a waitress. Finally our food arrived and it was decent. When we had finished, once again we looked for our waitress. Our friend who had invited us to join them actually had to leave the table in search of our bill. Paying the bill was another story. That took another 3-5 minutes at the cash register because there was only one person handling the register/credit card machine and they were still using dial-up to make sure my card was good. Needless to say the night turned into an experience I will never forget. Although Rhythm Kitchen serves good food, they really need to have extra help on busy nights or they are going to lose some customers.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Peoria, Illinois
“Breakfast quiche with fruit and homemade bread”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I love to meet the girls here before going to the farmer's market across the street on Saturday mornings. The art work is so interesting, the food very good and will try a "Bloody mary" in the future

Visited June 2013
“Fun bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had drinks at the bar! Great staff and we loved the atmosphere!! We will be back! We loved the live music!

Visited April 2013