“Not a typical Marriott - very disappointed.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Airport Shuttle
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Chicago, IL
“Not a typical Marriott - very disappointed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

I was told by business colleagues to choose another location. I called my corporate travel hub but wasn't able to cancel in time. I probably should have stayed somewhere else due to the safety risk, but decided to suck it up and stay anyway. This hotel is near a shopping mall. I chose it based on the location near the freeway. I checked in at 9 pm and was told that there was no better room, so I had to settle with a ground floor room near the elevator and the breakfast area. It was very noisy! That wasn't any big deal - I was so tired it didn't really matter. I chased 2 flies around my room until I finally successfully swatted them about 2 hours later, but was grossed out as this forced me to look at all the "ick" in the room. I put my shoes back on, got out my Lysol wipes and had a terrible night's sleep as a result of this (sometimes ignorance is bliss!). Not to mention, there were several people just mulling around the parking lot for no reason and the mall security had a visible presence... like that was supposed to be reassurring. My staff told me to avoid this hotel due to the "crack' hotel located near this property.... I should have listened! It wasn't horrible, but I was very disappointed in this Marriott property!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

I checked into the SpringHill Suites and was immediately greeted with a smiling face. A dark haired young woman (I believe the Asst. Manager). She checked me in quickly, explaining the amenities offered and sent me happily on my way. When I entered my room it smelled fresh and was clean, which is very important. It is not the "new" style of SpringHill Marriotts that I've stayed in before, but has a classic design for hotels. The breakfast attendant in the morning was a delight, as well. Breakfast was the standard buffet, hot eggs, sausage, fruits, cereals, etc Overall, a very pleasant stay. And it was close to my work site. This is my hotel of choice for my many upcoming visits to the Peoria area!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We flew into Peoria and only stayed two days on our way to Springfield. Were sorry there wasn't more to see in Peoria because we enjoyed the hotel and its amenities so much. The suite was clean, well equipped with fridge and there were two free Internet computers in the lobby. Parking was also free. The hotel was located close to shopping but not too close so noise and traffic was not a problem. We visited The Wheels Museum, which was really informative and run by knowledgeable volunteers, and had a great lunch special at an Italian restaurant across the street. The museum was a good trek from the hotel, but gave a picture of the countryside and small outlying communities. Peorians are friendly, helpful people. They want tourists to leave with a positive response to their town.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Staff is friendly and helpfull, when you ask them a questions, they'll respond...
They have a small gym, but in case this doesn't cover your requirements, they can offer entrance to a commercial gym nearby. Nice extra is the swimming pool, not too big, but of decent size to actually swim some laps.
I was also happy with the big flatscreen in the room, but then again the range of channels offered is limited.

Now on the AC... I flew in from Belgium, so I had a lengthy trip behind me and was really exhausted when I got to the hotel. With the noise the aircondintioning unit made, even the 7 hour jetlag couldn't help me get to sleep. It would just switch itself on and off the whole night. Switching it off was not an option with outside temperatures in the upper 80 range (Fahrenheit that is).
Luckily I had kept the earplugs from the airplane and managed to get some sleep after all.
So in summary: bring earplugs, in case you forgot, the local supermarket has a whole range.
Don't know about the standards of this type of hotels in the US, but I'm sure better can be found.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Madison, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

The location is a little sketchy to begin with. My room looked out on the back side of a strip mall. The front of the hotel faced an pretty run-down hotel with rooms starting at $39.95 a night. The hotel itself was clean enough and the breakfast availability was certainly convenient. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the big flat screen TV was a pleasant surprise. While the staff was pleasant enough at the desk, they were not exactly the height of comforting professionalism with their vague attentions. In fact, one of the desk clerks looked more like a nurses aide in scrubs then a hotel clerk. That pretty well sums up my positives. On the downside: the air conditioning unit was a noisy nuisance. Every time it kicked on at night, and it was necessary to not swelter in my room, I was awake. The lighting over the sink area was horrendous for getting ready in the morning in terms of make-up application and hair styling. There certainly was no convincing sense of security here and as a single female business traveler that was a little disconcerting. Admittedly it may have been overkill, but for me to fall asleep at night I resorted to bracing the door with the large chair in my room before crawling into bed. I've never stayed in a Springhill Suites before, so I am not sure if this is the expected norm, but since I will be staying at another one in a few weeks I can only hope the experience is a little higher quality then this one in Peoria.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Manteno, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Stayed for a tournament so as always it is a bit hectic. The rooms were clean, but a little outdated for a SpringHill. The breakfast was good and well stocked even with all kids.
A typical SpringHill stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Champaign, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

These people made me check out, without a refund, because I took some pictures of my friend wearing a cocktail dress in the lobby. Imagine the sheer horror of the situation if she had gotten into her bathing suit and used the pool! The General Manager, rather than bother to SEE THE PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE has chosen to be a complete imbecile and totally alienate what HAD been a loyal Marriott customer. Good Job, Jeff McLinden.

This hotel was a freaking zoo, with kids as WELL as adults running through the hallways in swimsuits - and my guest in a cocktail dress was inappropriate? Shame on you, Jeff McLinden - you are a travesty within the travel industry.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to SpringHill Suites by Marriott Peoria Westlake? Share your experiences!