“accessible room” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
“accessible room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

After two days camping in the mud at a nearby music festival, the Wingate Peoria felt like a 5 star hotel to us. We booked an accessible room and I'd called a few days ahead of our stay to confirm they would hold a wheelchair accessible room for our very late arrival. For the most part, the room served our needs. The bed was very tall however and my friend was unable to transfer from her wheelchair into bed. I called the front desk and the night manager Omar arrived promptly to help us with the transfer and we were very appreciateve of his assistance. This was my first experience traveling with someone with a disability, and "accessible" regarding a hotel room is clearly subjective. Not only was the bed too high to transfer out of a wheelchair, the shower was not in any way accessible, the temperature control panel was too high for my friend to reach, the van accessible parking spots were not really wide enough for our van ramp.

Aside from the accessibility issues, the property was as I would have expected for the price point. Pillows were lumpy and not to our liking but the bed and bedding were fine. Coffee and breakfast options were better than expected. Our room and the public areas were spotlessly clean despite the many groups of muddy concert goers who had arrived seeking refuge from heavy storms; kudos to the staff at the Windham Peoria for going the extra mile to serve their guests this Memorial Day weekend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SuperAwesomeWingate1, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Peoria, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
I am really glad you stayed with us and wrote this excellent review! I have not heard these issues before about the accessible rooms and I will meet with my bosses to see what we can do about some of these issues. Thank you very much! You have given me a lot of information to pass along and get some things more accessible! I sincerely appreciate it!
Thank you for mentioning Omar helping you. I will be sure to let him know of your kind words!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Laval, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

very pleasing stay. The staff was curteous & attentive. I usually recommend this hotel to my associates when they visit Peoria.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

I am glad you had a pleasing stay and recommend us. We truly appreciate it!
Overland Park, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Terrific young man at the desk, still there the next morning, spotlessly clean.

HOWEVER.

Impossible to find--asked four locals including two police officers, since their given address DOESN'T WORK in map and GPS. I was told it's a business-oriented hotel, near several major local employers.

For $150 in Peoria, Illinois on a weekday night, here's some samples of what your get:
A cookie.
A single-serve Puck coffee maker that releases a blast of live steam against your finger when you try to pull the basket out to start a second cup.
The worst TV service imaginable. However they cheaped up on this, why even bother supplying HBO and other "premium" channels if they're obscured by interference?
Management decided to reduce water pressure to an absolute minimum, not only in the shower but also in the sink. That would have been tolerable IF THE WATER WEREN'T INCREDIBLY SOFT. Rinsing out a toothbrush became a major operation. My get-ready routine went from fifteen minutes to forty-five.
So what?
Well, as a business traveler, I don't have a thirty-minute chunk of my morning to give away. Didn't have time for breakfast.
This place is undoubtedly fine for a family on vacation. NOT suitable for business, on that one point alone. Sorry. Never again.

Room Tip: The interstate runs right behind the hotel, even-up with the second floor. Avoid a room facing the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and for your in depth review.
I am very sorry you experienced issues with your TV service. It is not normally like that and our service provider was experiencing issues during your stay and for that I am sorry. I wish you had called to the front desk so we could let you know of the issue our provider was experiencing so we could have apologized to you while you were here.
As far as the GPS: we are a newer hotel. If you have a very new GPS then we will be found but I find my GPS, which is a couple years old and has not had a recent update, will not find the hotel. We try to give the address of the large mall next door whenever a guest calls and is having trouble locating us and that always gets them here. I am sorry you had this issue. The older we are as a hotel the less we have guests experience issues with their GPS not finding us and I believe over time this will remedy itself.
Over recent years many of our guests have urged us to go green, so in addition to having recycling offered, we also have measures in place to preserve water and so our water pressure is reflective of that. I am sorry you were unhappy. Nearly all our weekday guests are traveling on business and we rarely hear complaints about water pressure but I wanted to let you know why it might not have been what you expected.
Thank you again for your review!

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Peoria? Share your experiences!