“"A" for effort, but needs a little work in some areas.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #7 of 22 hotels in Peoria
Oswego, Illinois
“"A" for effort, but needs a little work in some areas.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have to preface my review by saying that this actually could be a great little hotel if a few changes could be made. The staff was very attentive and accommodating and tried their best with the tools they had. Let me explain...

Our daughter is a student musician and we were visiting Peoria for the Illinois Music Educator's Association Annual State Conference in Peoria. We have stayed at many Country Inn and Suites and like the chain because they are usually dependable and clean. This particular hotel is only fifteen minutes from the Civic Center and very close to a shopping mall. So, it has a very good location.

We booked this hotel months in advance and several days prior asked if we could get an early check-in. The person with whom we spoke over the phone said that check-in is usually at 3:00 p.m. and the earliest they could get us in would be 2:00 p.m. That was fine. But when we arrived at 2:00 p.m.we were first told that there were no available rooms and we would have to wait until 3:00. After a few minutes of calling the front desk person was nice enough to find a clean room for us. The first thing I noticed was that, in this particular room, the closet was a half the size of most of the hotels we have been in, but, no big deal. We were only there for three nights so not much to hang. The room was clean and comfortable. So we settled in for the night.

However, I woke up at three in the morning because it was so cold in our room. So, I turned the heat up higher and an hour later it was even colder. I am fumbling in the dark to try to find a shut off switch for the fan (thinking that if I turn the fan off it won't blow cold air), but, no shut off switch! The fan just keeps going and going, blowing cold air. I turned the heat up to 80% and it was still cold in our room when everyone got up. So, in the morning we told the front desk person, who, once again was very accommodating and sent a maintenance person to our room right away.

The maintenance person was also very nice and told us that with this particular kind of unit the thermostat is on the inside of the unit (no temp controls on the wall where you can see the true temp of the room and control it from there) and if the sensor in the unit reads at the temp which is set, it will start blowing colder air to keep the temp level. Anyway, he looked at it while we were gone and when we got back it seemed to be working. It was warmer. We thought he must have fixed the thermostat or something. So, when the maintenance person came back to check on us again, we told him it was fine, not realizing that it wasn't. That night while we were sleeping it got so hot in the room that we had to turn the temp lower in the morning. We were out most of the day and when we came back that evening the room was like an ice box again and even though we turned the temp higher, once again, that night we froze. Thank goodness for the very thick conforters they have on these beds! No point in saying anything to the front desk again as we were leaving the next morning. So, for our whole stay we either froze all night or boiled. We were told that they are trying to convert to wall thermostats but they aren't sure when all of the rooms will be converted as it is a costly venture.

Also, during our stay the hotel was booked solid. Teachers, parents and high school kids all waiting to be fed in the morning. The kitchen was full and the lines for breakfast were long as expected. That I can certainly understand. However, there was only one kitchen lady there all by herself trying to put things out and heat things up. Bless her heart she did her best. However, when I got up to the hot breakfasts they were all gone. No eggs, no sausages, nothing. So, I popped my head into the kitchen to let her know that they were out and she told me we would have to wait another 15 minutes at least. I also noticed that there was only one smaller heating oven to warm up eggs or whatever. Probably good enough for any regular time, but certainly not the size needed for a larger group of people. So, as soon as she would replenish the food, it was gone in a few minutes and if you weren't at the head of the line you would continue waiting for another 15 minutes or more. Not her fault. She just didn't have the tools to accomodate the numbers of people that they had in the hotel. Eventually I did get some hot food and the food was actually tasty, but I had to wait a while for it.

Bottom line, all of the staff from the front desk person to the maintenance man to the kitchen attendant were all wonderful, professional and hard working people who did there best to accomodate. The location is good, nice clean rooms and the food is good (when you can get it). However, the hotel could use a new heating system (unless it was just this particular room that had the problem--not sure), a larger kitchen oven to accommodate the hords of people they need to feed when they have conventions in town, and perhaps hire a part-time kitchen staffer during convention time to help during breakfast hours. Seems like it could be a great little hotel with some adjustments.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 131. While it is a great location next to a door and parking, we had heating iss...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Nicole M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Peoria North, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We hope for an opportunity to exceed your expectations if your travels bring you back to the Peoria area.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly should you have any other concerns.

Nicole Murphy
309-589-0044

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Winter Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Brought my wife and two young kids (both under 3) to visit family and needed space for all of us. I didn't want to have to get two adjoining rooms, and their separate-bedroom suite was perfect so we could get our youngest to sleep on her earlier schedule while entertaining the older one in the bedroom. The breakfast was very good, and again, with kids, it's a great bonus to not have to plan this meal. Everyone was nice and courteous, and the hotel was very clean.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Lexington, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here for three nights. It is a nice place to stay. Fresh cookies meet you at the front door. The breakfast is plentiful: eggs, waffles, sausage, cereal, juice, fruit, bagels, sweet rolls, oatmeal, granola bars, etc. The room was a bit small, but nice. The machines in the exercise room work well. There is a pool and hot tub. It is across the street from a mall. The people at the front desk were nice. All in all, a good place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed this weekend at the property near the mall in Peoria. Arrived later in the evening and spent the duration of the stay in the room. For a holiday weekend the noise was not too bad, nor was finding parking in the lot. The hotel itself is in good shape and there are no complaints on the upkeep.
I did have an issue regarding billing which I handled directly with the hotel and a representative (Bill). Since I used Club Carlson points there was a miscommunication between corporate and the franchisee, but they were able to sort it out to my satisfaction.
This is a family friendly hotel and it is worth looking at if you are in Central IL.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I can honestly say I love this hotel! I am from Green Bay, Wisconsin but have lived in Illinois since 1997. So we make quite a few trips up there to visit family. This last trip I decided to make reservations at our usual hotel the Radisson that's connected to the casino and the Country Inn and Suites and then I would go first to the Country Inn first to check it out and then go by the Raddison and do the same. Liked everything I saw at the Country Inn but when I got to the Raddison they took me to what was suppose to be the newer non-smoking part of the hotel but the hall right outside our room smelled of cigarette smoke and then in the room it smelled of cigarette smoke too. They use to have a small breakfast buffet that was free but when I asked about it she said that it wasn't included in your room rate and you would have to pay for it. At that point I was really ready to go back to the Country Inn Suites and give them a try! Boy was I happy I went with them! Very nice and helpful staff. Excellent breakfast choices and best part it was Free! Awesome cookies at the front desk. Loved loved loved the room. I was with my son (24 yrs at the time) and having a door that closed the bedroom where I slept off from the livingroom with the pull out couch where he slept was perfect. Because he stays up later then I do playing games on his computer. I never heard him at all. Oh and great wireless internet and free to boot. Also awesome nice size flat screen TV's in both rooms. I have brown up showing horses and after college switched to showing dogs and also traveled for my company and this by far ranks in the top 5 hotels I've ever stayed at!!! Oh and they also had an exceptional team of maids that never bothered me when I had the do not disturb sign on the door but if I didn't made sure I had anything I needed! Now when I travel I check if there's a Country Inn and Suites anywhere I have to be and I will still drive an extra 20 miles to stay at one before staying anywhere else!!!

• Stayed September 2013
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We were very impressed by the hotel staff. Nicer people you won't find elsewhere. Everyone smiled when we came into the check-in area, and throughout our 5 day visit they were most happy to accommodate us with our requests. The hotel was spotless, the small library was warm and cozy, and the collection of books was surprisingly ample .We were upgraded to a 2-room suite. It was large and comfortable, but the furniture and décor are badly in need of an update. Breakfasts were good and of a good variety to choose from. In spite of the tired décor, this a great place to stay, and we will return to it again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Loved every aspect of this hotel (quietness, location, shuttle, breakfast, cleanliness...) EXCEPT on thing. I arrived on a Sunday evening (straight from church). I removed my earrings and placed them on the dresser to the right of the tv and never wore them again. On my way home 3 days later, I realized I never packed them away, nor did I recall seeing them when I thoroughly cleaned the room before I left. I am a former housekeeper and it is in my nature to strip down the beds, gather all linens & trash, and fold the blankets. I had the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door for the ENTIRE stay. The only time I exited my room was at 9AM daily for breakfast, then again after 5 PM. I called the hotel when I got home. The manager was gone for the week and the 2 fill-ins were not in as well. I was told someone would call the next day. Still no word from anyone. I am convinced that the housekeeper, standing outside my door as I left for breakfast, went in my room long enough to swipe my earrings. Very disappointing as they were a special pair from my husband. Will never stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicole M, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Peoria North, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have investigated your claim thoroughly and have found no evidence of theft on our property. Upon investigating the door entry records through our system the only entries into your room were by your own keys during the duration of your stay.

Again I apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit we can exceed your expectations.

Nicole Murphy

Been to Country Inn & Suites Peoria North? Share your experiences!