“Excellent value breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Sandon B&B and Inns
Yeaveley
“Excellent value breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We met our daughter here for a late breakfast/brunch to celebrate her birthday. Apart from one other table we were the only people there but this did not detract from the very pleasant atmosphere of the dining area. We were courteously and promptly served with coffees and juices whilst we selected breakfast.
The breakfasts were all very good and extremely good value. We will certainly visit the D & D again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

After sorting out a table due to wrong date entered by them our evening kicked off eating in the pub area rather than the bistro which suited us as it was private and more relaxed and out of the way (complementary drinks for the miss booking would of been nice but never happened). Well appetisers of olives and chippolattas were good and starters of mint pea soup and sea food salad were excellent! Mains of duck breast were excellent the best duck I've tried anywhere and sea food linguine was good although a little on the spicy side. What topped it of was the deserts of Creme brûlée and the chocolate torte which were both excellent and the Italian liqueur coffee. With out those I'd give it 7/10 but with them 8.5/10. The staff were polite welcoming and helpful they did a very good job and will deffo be back in December.

• Stayed September 2013
Lausanne, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Having stayed at this place for two nights recently with my family, we were disappointed with the service at breakfast and the room we had was not cleaned to a reasonable standard.
The continental breakfast was limited to one croissant per person (when we asked for more we were told no we've run out and the selection of jams was very limited) We also asked for two hot chocolates for our children and we had to wait 40 minutes for them to boil some water apparently (not even made with milk)
Our bedroom was clean and tidy , but under our bed I found six hair pins covered in dust, so when was it last cleaned under the bed ??
Overall the price per night was not equal to what other places offer.

Room Tip: Some rooms are facing the busy road that passes in front of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ChrisLMilwich, Owner at The Dog and Doublet Inn Sandon, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Dog and Doublet, Sandon.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have passed your comments on to our Operations Manager and she is at a loss to know why your breakfast service was slow. We do not make hot chocolate with water - it is made with milk from the steam arm on our coffee machine and all our staff are trained to make chocolate in this way. This obviously did not happen when you stayed.

With regards to the cleanliness of the bedrooms - our rooms are all checked before our guests check in and I have passed your comments on to our housekeeping department.

Thank you for alerting me to these issues.

Chris Lewis
Ash, Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Came here for a Friday night pre-wedding meal. The Place looked really attractive from outside and once inside it sort of mixed a wine bar feel with an olde world feel. It was a big Pub too. Lots of people inside and a good atmosphere of chat and happy faces. The Food we had was very good and service was very good, apart from a waitress forgot about my main course and when I chased it up she was extremely sorry and embarrassed, many times in fact....but I assured her not to worry as we were in a sizeable party and there were many other eaters in various other parties, so they were up against it. I don't think it detracted from a really quality pub experience and I'd come here again if in the area for sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We just wanted somewhere to eat and crash for the night. The place, an old coaching house having been recently decorated throughout is 'cosy', the staff friendly and attentive, the rooms comfortable. My wife and I had a double room, a good 3 course meal with Chablis, several other drinks!, and a cooked breakfast each for around £170 - pretty impressive. We will return one day I hope.

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Having seen the lovely pictures of the rooms on the internet, I was very disappointed when we saw how small our room was. We had no bath, just a shower. Only one bedside light, so when my husband wanted to light off, I had to drink my coffee in the dark. The floor had not been cleaned, as we found a dirty sock. The toilet seat was broken and moved when sat on.

I found the evening menu very limited. No lamb for example. And the chips were served in mini buckets! What's that all about? There was also a very large TV in the dining room with repeated photos being displayed. This was very distracting.

The staff however were without exception very friendly and helpful.
Unfortunately this would not be enough to persuade me back, as the hotel is on a busy junction and due to it's age there isn\t any double glazing, so the traffic noise and green fire escape light prevented a good night's sleep.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one one night and to be honest I couldn't really fault the stay at all..
The whole place looks like it has recently been refurbished to a Very good standard. The bedroom was by nice although on the small side but that s a very minor issue . The food is really good and I can't fault the evening meal or the breakfast that I had.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this Inn to family and friends and if I am ever in the area again I will be staying there. Get it booked !!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Dog and Doublet Inn Sandon? Share your experiences!