Here are my opinions of the lodge:
The hotel is best for: couples and honeymooners, secluded, very romantic and quiet.
- Each guest has a bungalow with "real" ocean views. There are only 5 bungalows in the premise.
- You can see the ocean from your bed, from the shower and the bathroom.
- In July apparently you can see humpback whales swim by in the distance.
- You can hang a hammock on the porch.
- Secluded, no souvenir hawkers to bother you. Very few tourists, apart from the people staying in the 5 bungalows on the property. Lots of privacy.
- Meals are filling, great chicken, steak skewers, cashew nut pastry, and fresh vegetables.
- Great hosts Liz and Lisa. Very professional and attentive! The employees at the lodge were also pleasant, I was able to see that they got along well.
- You definitely need a 4x4, or they can pick you up.
- Toilet area is open as the bungalow is an open floor plan.
The lodge is more on the high end side of lodging in the Tofo area. However, I found Blue Footprints to be an exceptional lodge with lots of character. There are no other lodges in the area like it. It was worth the extra cost (not bad at all if you consider that it includes food). I would highly recommend it to my friends.
How to get there: Near the lighthouse in Barra. Isolated from the rest of the hotels in the Tofo area. You need a 4x4 to get to the hotel as roads have deep sand. Take the road to the Barra light house and right before Casa Azul take a right, continue on to the next fork where you take another right, taking you through a palm tree cove and to the entrance of the hotel.
Cost: As the website says 1150 Rands per person (2012 low season). This includes full English breakfast (with fruits and yogurt) and a 3 course dinner (good and filling). Lunch (wraps, sandwiches, salads) can be ordered for 150 to 400 meticals. Nescafe and tea is free to drink anytime.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Footprints Eco-Lodge Mozambique/Inhambane
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue Footprints Eco Lodge offers barefoot luxury accommodation between Barra and Tofo, Mozambique. Exclusive scuba diving with Mozambique's Manta Rays and Whale Sharks. The lodge is off-grid and powered by the sun's energy. ... more less