“Should we have gone out?” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Specialty Shops, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Diversity Scuba is a PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Centre and Tofo's longest running scuba dive operation. Based on the beautiful Tofo Beach in Inhambane Province, Mozambique, we are lucky enough to be able to offer our customers some of the best and most spectacular scuba diving in Mozambique and the Indian Ocean. We have three fully equipped dive boats which can do as many as three launches a day each, offering recreational diving on nineteen different sites in the Tofo area, including the famous Manta Reef. All our dives are guided and we aim to have no more than 6 divers in one group, offering personalized service to our clients, with safety and enjoyment being our priorities. The Diversity Scuba diving team - 3 Instructors and 2 Dive Masters - are friendly and experienced PADI professionals whose services include a full range of PADI training courses from Discover Scuba Diving all the way to Instructor. With our large onsite training pool, quality Scubapro rental equipment, spacious and well equipped classroom facilities and enthusiastic instructors, we offer a high standard of diver training in a safe, relaxed environment. Diversity Scuba is located right on the centre of Tofo and our modern and comfortable premises include a rooftop bar where we do the briefings and debriefings and where you can have a cold drink or a snack in between dives, enjoying the beautiful view of the surrounding area. Diversity's bar provides to our guests free tea and coffee throughout the day and a wide screen TV always showing our fantastic diving videos. For your comfort and safety we also have available a large personal dive equipment store room and lockers you can use as dry storage for personal belongings. We have a Nuvair Nitrox membrane compressor which can provide up to 40% enriched air. This is ideal for the deeper sites to have longer dive times. We have on offer Nitrox courses and provide FREE Nitrox fills on all dives to Nitrox certified divers. When the weather and ocean conditions allow it, Diversity Scuba is also the only dive operation in the area to offer Night Dives, thus providing you the unique opportunity to discover the wonders of diving Tofo's reefs by night! In the pristine waters of the Tofo area we not only have one of the biggest Whale Shark populations in the world, which can be spotted year round and sometimes in groups of up to 6 or 7 Whale Sharks at a time, as there is also the incredible opportunity to dive with graceful Giant Manta Rays (up to 7 m across) that can be found in most of our main dive sites, all of which are within a 30 minute boat journey from Tofo. Besides these gentle giants, the Tofo area also offers spectacular world class diving on pristine reefs with an abundance of marine life ranging from soft and hard corals, pelagic fishes, multitudes of reef fishes, shrimps, nudibranchs, giant moray eels, turtles, dolphins and a variety of rays, some of which are not seen in many parts of the world like the rare small eye stingray. Sightings of White Tip, Black Tip and Grey Reef Sharks are a common occurrence and even the occasional Leopard Shark or Hammerhead Sharks are seen every now and then. But the highlight of any day in Tofo has to be the time spent with the majestic Whale Shark, either on the boat ride out to the dive sites or during one of our Ocean Safaris, which are a unique and unforgettable two hour snorkeling experience with the possibility of encounters and swimming with Whale Sharks, Dolphins and occasionally also Manta Rays. Twice a week we also offer Bio Ocean Safaris with a small lecture at the dive centre and a marine biologist onboard which constitute an excellent opportunity to learn more about our Whale Sharks and Mantas while also actively contributing to scientific research being conducted in the Tofo waters. Last but not least during the winter months (May to October) large numbers of Humpback Whales migrate along the coastline and come very close to shore in the Tofo area, thus broadening the chances to observe some more giants of the deep. Humpback Whales are frequently seen from the boat but there is also a good probability of an encounter whilst you are diving, which is a unique chance to see these huge creatures up close and personal. If you are not lucky enough to spot one, you'll at least listen to their fantastic songs whilst diving in any of our reefs! Our aim at Diversity Scuba is to provide a non-intrusive opportunity for ocean and adventure lovers from all over the world to observe the incredibly diverse Mozambican marine life in their natural habitat. A visit to the reefs of Tofo with Diversity Scuba will leave you with memories to treasure and dreams of returning.
London
“Should we have gone out?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We went on a snorkelling trip with Diversity Scuba last week and were a little disappointed. It cost 50 British pounds - and so we felt that the staff should consider whether it would be worth our while before going - and, if it's not, advise us to come back another day. We were 2 minutes into our trip when we were told that a storm was coming, the waves were too big and we wouldn't be able to snorkel even in the calmest bay. We felt that we should have been told this in advance.

Our trip consisted of going out in the speed boat for half an hour over pretty rough sea, being told that we needed to turn back for safety reasons - and then travelling back in the speed boat for half an hour. This cost 50 pounds.

We did go into the office afterwards and explain that we were a little disappointed - to which we were told very cockily " well, I wish I could bring the whale sharks etc out on a rope for you." Now, we were not complaining about not seeing anything - but just that the overall experience was zero fun for everyone and we all wanted to pack it in after 10 minutes. We had just a rubbish hour basically - and we felt should never have been taken out in that weather.

Visited October 2012

Prague, Czech Republic
3 attraction reviews
“I cann't write anything bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Organizing diving, equipment, dive base, staff... everything very well management, safety.

Recommendition to owners: small pool (water reservoir) front of base for cleaning feet is certainly necessary !!! Without it you have the sand inside dive base. :-(

The famous Manta Reef is available from Jangamo bay and Tofo.
Jangamo is beautiful place, very romantic, smooth.
Tofo is village, bustling, lively.
Which one?

Sorry, i like both places...

Visited January 2012
Wiltshire
4 attraction reviews
“Fun, mantas and adrenaline”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I was attracted to a diving holiday to Mozambique after watching Natural World episode, I wanted to see the mantas in that special place. Probably it's just me and I felt Mozambique was a bit off the beaten track to venture with a self planned holiday and asked Oonasdivers help. I was so lucky Oonas arranged my package with Diversity in Tofo. The dive centre is superb with extremely professional and friendly staff and superb facilities. I rent BCD and regulator and I have to say in Diversity it was the newest and better looked after I've ever rented. Rodriguez, Leo, roberto and everyone else went to great length to show us the beauty of the Indian Ocean, and the adrenaline fuelled boat launches from the beach (and landing) and bumpy RIB rides were rewarded with a beautiful, spectacular almost emotional dive with a manta staying with us at the cleaning station for ages!!! Not the only thing to see there...plenty of other life: white tip shark, marlin, potato groupers, guitar shark (although I missed that one...), some beautiful funny fisj settled in a coral looking like a tree, it was almost like a Christmas tree...I loved and I would strongly recommend to dive with Diversity in Tofo, I shall be back as soon as I can!!!

Visited March 2012
Blantyre, Blantyre, Malawi
23 attraction reviews
“First time Diving there and will not be my last- Ab Fab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I was very very impressed with Diversity from the get go. I visited their website and the fact that they have info leaflets on their site for the different dive sites means you could read up on the dives and be already familiar with the sites before the briefing. It made you more aware of the benefits of each dive site so you were more keyed in to see what was of particular interest. Then I arrived there at the centre and it is very clean and deserves its 5 star rating as a PADI centre. Everyone is so professional and equipment is in great condition and stored very well. The briefing area upstairs is brilliant and very relaxing. I did 4 dives with Diversity and what is great is that the more dives you do with them the less each dive costs. Be sure though to make sure all the equipment is checked before you go as per your PADI training.
Eventhough the vis was not great in September the fact that there were so many humpback whales around more than made up for it. It was phenomenal diving listening to them singing to each under when under water. Got to see some of the up real close too while on SI's. Sometimes came so close you could snorkel around them.
One piece of advise is that if you suffer from sea sickness then it is very advisable to take precautions against it. I dont get seasick but on a couple of SI's on the RIB's I was feeling queasy as the swell can get pretty bad out there.
I will definitely use Diversity again for my annual Moz diving trip. I had a blast.

Visited September 2011
Munich
26 attraction reviews
“an incredible way to see the stunning whalesharks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

wow, that was fantastic. we saw plenty of whalesharks super close. my girlfriend even saw big manta rays and in total about 20 whalesharks. and that's all just by snorkeling.

make sure that the crew has vinegar along as there are some jellyfishes - not dangerous but anoying. the vinegar neutralize the poison and stops the burning.

Visited October 2011