“Average coffee, rude owner” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Description: Coffee
Description: Coffee
Palatine, Illinois
“Average coffee, rude owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I've been preparing for an exam for a number of weeks now. I, like others, prefer to enjoy a cup of coffee while I study. I chose Norma's place because it's close to home and as a mother of two toddlers who needs to pay a baby sitter to be able to study out, proximity is important to me - more important than the quality of the coffee (which is average at best), the dusty old furniture, and the overall dinginess of the place. I would shoot down the street to Norma's a few times a week, stay a few hours, and pay about $10 per visit on various things like coffee, food, bottled water, etc. (just a side note: stay away from the raspberry mocha, it will make you dizzy)

Well that all ended yesterday. I will never set foot in this place again. As others have commented on in their reviews, Norma seems to drive more people away from this place then she brings in. When I arrived yesterday to study, she asked that I not come in on Saturday's (and then made a lame attempt to buy my coffee). Basically, she treated me like a bum off the street. Here's some free coffee now don't come back. I was floored, and upset. If I didn't have a enough stress worrying about the most important exam of my life, I've got this jerk owner making me feel uncomfortable just being there. Never in my life have I ever been asked by any business owner to not come in and spend my money. When I study, I take up one small table and half the time the place is empty anyways (the coffee is average, see above). She claimed that several people walked out last Saturday because I was taking up a small table and they couldn't be seated. I think it's more likely that these folks walked out due to Norma's attitude, as Vanessa B. commented on as well. Obviously, I left immediately and lost valuable study time that day while trying to figure out an alternate place to go.

Best advice I can give everyone in this review is to find another shop owner who wants your business and will treat your with respect. Nothing galls me more than giving a jerk my business, and I won't do it again. As an aside, the rest of the staff is friendly, courteous, and nice. In fact, I even left my purse in the shop one day and this nice young girl rushed out to my car to return it to me before I left.

Bottom line is you couldn't pay me to go back there until you remove Norma from the "Norma's Coffee Corner" experience!

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Palatine, Illinois
“Bring cash if you just want a cup of coffee.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

First time here. Stopped for coffee. Seemed nice until I ordered. Apparently, if you want to discuss the service come in the morning when the manager is here. Otherwise...

Visited December 2013
Palatine, Illinois
“Like Cheers where Norma knows your name!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have been coming to Norma's for over 10 years. Great coffee, food and service. Haven't been here in a while? Don't worry - Norma remembers what you order and how you order it!

Friendly atmosphere and great staff!

Saturday mornings made to order breakfast sandwiches and burritos are on the menu.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Local excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Norma is a throwback to the days when the corner store owner knew everyone and greeted everyone by name. Great service was the norm. A place to feel valued as a customer.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere