“A delightful stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fox River Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ottawa
Fox River Bed and Breakfast
You added Fox River Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
3367 E 2072nd Rd, Ottawa, IL 61350   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“A delightful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed out three night stay at Charlotte's wonderful B&B in July, 2013. The house is beautiful and very comfortable. We got every encouragement to make it our home for the days we were there. Charlotte (the innkeeper) is very kind, thoughtful and pleasant to visit with as well that we will definitely look forward to our next visit with her.

Our room, the Hala, was very comfortable and had everything we needed. The bathroom was nearby and also nicely appointed. The breakfasts she served were absolutely delicious, and a bit decadent! (Fortunately we were spending our days biking to burn off some of those scrumptious calories!)

It is a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Fox River B & B is a perfect getaway! I live in Chicago; it's a short trip (hour and a half) from the city. The owner is so welcoming and makes you feel right at home as soon as you pull in. Any stress you're carrying with you will melt away. Plenty to do nearby - canoe, kayak, or hiking Starved Rick. Or just enjoy the vast property's tranquil setting with a book. You'll want to go back, I will!

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely - they have rooms with 2 beds if you're traveling with friends
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Waunakee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We chose the Fox River B&B for its proximity to Starved Rock State Park, and for the history of staying in Charles Lindbergh's Room.

The home and the hostess (Charlotte) were both warm and welcoming. We were a bit concerned about sharing a bathroom, but this really was not an issue as we were the only guests on the 2nd floor both nights we stayed there.

The quiet country setting was just what we needed after staying at a busy (and damp) Baymont Inn for the previous 2 nights.

We were grateful for a m/w and a refrigerator in our room. The Satellite Dish had so many channels to amuse my 12-year old daughter, too.

When asked, Charlotte offered suggestions and information. Breakfast was yummy. Each morning had a hot casserole egg dish, bacon, fruit salad, biscuits or muffins. When she noticed that my tween was picking at her casserole, she generously offered to make her "plain eggs." (A lesson followed on how to pretend better in the future. :) The adults loved EVERYTHING. :)

I highly recommend the Fox River B&B, enthusiastically and without reservation.

Room Tip: We chose the Lindbergh room for the history.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Mount Morris, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

We had our wedding in July at the Fox River B&B and it was a wonderful experience. Charlotte, the owner, was like having a wedding planner on hand. She made sure everything ran smoothly. We had 85+ guests and the Inn is beautiful. Little decoration was needed. Our wedding party was able to stay at the Inn the entire weekend. We hosted a wedding rehearsal BBQ and had a ton of fun. I highly recommend the Fox River B&B for weddings or get aways. It is an awesome place.

• Stayed July 2010
Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

Been there last weekend and - I liked it very much. It's a secluded house, homey arranged and I felt like sleeping over my aunts house. The air is great, its peaceful and very very clean. Usually when I go to hotels, I don't have that feeling of cleanliness like in my own home, but here, I felt really safe. Breakfast was very tasty, some egg sausage and hash brown bake, plus the fruit salad was excellent. Outside in lawn is a table where you can sit, read and catch some sun. There are few chickens walking free around a house and was thinking this is a chicken paradise.

The lady that owns the house is Charlotte, she was very kind, polite and soft. She was there all the time but left us the right amount of freedom. I was very satisfied. Will I go there again? Yes, in September. It seams to me that in Fox River B&B I get more then I pay. But have in mind that this is not for people who love chain hotels and minimalist interior design. Its too flavorable and "homey like".

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
ARLINGTON HEIGHTS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

We were looking for a B&B near the I&M Canal Bike trail. This was convenient for that (just a short drive), and darn close to Starved Rock and Matthiessen State Parks. Also must be the nearest spot to SkyDive Chicago. and C&M Canoe rental (and perhaps the Wedron Grill facory if you have business with them.)

All five of the rooms seem good, each decorated uniquely. Charlotte makes a great breakfast just for your group at the time you request.

Price is right at about $100/room. The Website and some of the reviews here are out-of-date. Host is only Charlotte Beach now, so ignore some of the mixed review comments related to the past proprietors.

And if you want a deal, consider the opportunity to pitch a tent on the property in one of the secluded field spots. No bed or breakfast provided, but a quiet spot with firepits.

Only negative I can even think of is the 2 shared bathrooms for the 5 rooms, but this was never an issue for us at all. The place just isn't crowded, and that's why I highly recommend it.

• Liked — Seclusion, yet with a short distance of outdoor activities.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

My wife and I stayed for 8 nights this July and were very impressed with the bnb. Charlotte is the new owner and Bobby Joe is not involved anymore. Charlotte was very helpful and friendly. She cooks excellent breakfasts with fresh muffins, bacon and eggs from her hens. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. We did not eat dinner there as there are lots of local restaurants. Hanks Farm in particular was particularly good. I would recommend this bnb to anyone. It is quiet enough for a romantic get away and yet there is plenty to do nearby for a family holiday.

• Liked — The original house
  • Disliked — A shared bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Fox River Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!