“Lots of Food for Your Money” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Mokena, Illinois
“Lots of Food for Your Money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband, 8-year old son and I went tonight using a Living Social coupon. It was a dinner for two which included appetizer, 2 entrees and a dessert. For our appetizer, we chose calamari which was very good. Very tender. We were then surprised by our choice of soup (clam chowder or minestrone). I got clam chowder and it was good, not great. My son took my husband's soup order and got the minestrone. It was excellent and he loved it. We then received a huge loaf of the best crusty bread that was warm. And if that wasn't enough, we then received a bowl of salad, a bowl of noodles, and a bowl of cucumber/tomato salad...all of which was great. We were so full we could have left then. For our entrees, my husband ordered chicken picata and I got chicken vesuvio. I got the vesuvio done the classic way (not Papa Joe style). It was not the best I ever had, especially since I love Italian roasted potatoes when they are crisp and not cooked in the sauce so they are mushy...these were not crisp. My husband's chicken picata was good, not great. Large portions. My son ordered a 10" cheese pizza and was only able to eat 2 slices since he filed up on bread and soup (and kiddie cocktails). When offered our free dessert from the coupon, we choose to take it to-go. We choose canolli. I was dissappointed when I put it in the fridge at home to discover there was only one small canolli (for two people??). Cannot tell you how it tasted, because we are still too full 2 hours later.
So basically, I loved the amount of food for the money. The decor (chairs mostly) need to be updated...very 80s. Give tons of credit to the wait staff that has to constantly go up and down this maze of levels of dining areas. There was a piano player when we first walked in and we found it to be a little loud. We were seated near the piano, so it was hard to hear each other at the table. Since their clientele seems to be an older crowd (here were some 40-somethings in the bar area there too), I was surpised how loud it was. In the end, I think you get a ton of food for the money. Loved our waitress Terri as well.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Oak Forest, Illinois
“Papa joes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The atmosphere is for old people. You get a lot of food for your money. The pasta dishes are ok. The papa joes in Oak Lawn is better then this one

Visited April 2013
Orland Park, IL
“Great pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We love the food in the restaurant and eat there often, but we also enjoy their carry out pizza very much. There is a Friday carry out special 2 pizzas for $20.00 that we take advantage of too. Easy access from John Humphrey Drive also now that they are working on LaGrange Road. The staff is always friendly there and lots of food to enjoy and some to take home too. The best Italian food in the area for the price, quality and quantilty.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Our Favorite for Tuesday nights!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Papa Joes has been a long time favorite of our family. We love the "Two-for-Tuesday" deal. Buy one pasta entree and get one free! You also get fresh bread, choice of soup (I love the minestrone) house garden salad, cucumber/tomato salad and a pasta salad before the meal even come out. The food tastes very homemade and is better than other chain Italian restaurants. We always take some food home for left overs which makes it an even better deal. The pizza there is also very good! They have a live singer/piano player and sometimes a magician! There is a nice bar for cocktails and plenty of space for a big party (they have private rooms). The wait staff is always great and dressed well in formal Italian server uniforms. Papa Joes is great for a date night or a night with the family.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Glen Dale Heights
“Good Grub!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My friend Steve and I went there recently. I liked the bread and soup, Steve raved about the calamari (he calls it "calamarr") and the spaghetti sauce (he calls it "gravy"). As Steve said, "The calamarr was not at all like rubber-bands and the gravy was rich like Sunday neck-bone gravy."

• Visited March 2013