A family member gave us a gift certificate for an overnight stay, massage, dinner, etc. We read some reviews and assumed the age of the facility would be charming (like a B & B). When we arrived, we were very diappointed. The room was dark, the mattress actually dipped in the middle and the room smelled like stale cigarette smoke. The furnishings were a mix of what looked like garage sale items. We were worried about leaving our belongings in the room while we went for the mineral bath and massage, but we rolled with it. The spa staff was very nice, but the facility left alot to be desired. They gave us thin, see through robes and told us to sit in a waiting area on plastic chairs ($6.00 Walmart type -- along with a group of other people). The fluorescent lights bearing down on everyone did not help with the see through robe issue. The baths are jetted tubs in individual rooms separated by simple walls not extending to the ceiling. While we were trying to relax, other bathers were hollering to each other over the walls (things like.. hey doesn't this feel good, use the towel to exfoliate your skin, etc.). It wasn't too relaxing. After that we went for the massage and the therapists were good. My therapist actually pushed excessively on pressure points and at the end of the session, she actually said wow,you sure have a high pain threshold. I thought that was strange. My husband's massage therapist sprayed his back with cold water and slapped him on the bottoms of his feet which was kind of unnerving. To their credit, the spa staff was freindly. After all of this, we went back to the room and got ready for dinner. The restaurant seemed clean and the staff was nice. There were several people at the bar carrying on, which again detracted from what was supposed to be a relaxing atmosphere. I ordered the specialty, which was fried chicken. It tasted like it was rolled in corn flakes and fried to a super crisp. I couldn't eat it. The best thing was the iceberg lettuce salad and wrapped crackers! My husband ordered baked chicked and he thought it was mediocre. We ended up going back to the room, collecting our belongings and checking out right after dinner. We only live about an hour from this hotel and we were so glad we didn't bother to stay overnight. We just couldn't imagine waking up smelling like smoke in an uncomfortable room/environment.
Don't stay in the rooms above the pool...that's where we were.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.