“Convenient Location, Quiet Hotel - Nice Option for Chicago Visit” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
GreenLeadersBronze level
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Convenient Location, Quiet Hotel - Nice Option for Chicago Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

We stayed 7 nights at this hotel and were overall very pleased. It is older and brick so it was quiet. It's not as nice as the new Comfort Suites in terms of roominess but the sturdy construction made it extra quiet - especially considering we were on a busy road.

This is about 25 miles from the museum complex on the lakefront and the same from downtown Chicago. It was easy to drive to the museums and since parking is free at the hotel, a car isn't as expensive as it would be in Chicago.

We took a train to Chicago for appointment I had - went from Villa Park Station about 3 miles away. The hotel didn't have the schedules as promised or information on parking but you can get the schedules online - you can get reserved parking by going the day before to the Villa Park Police Station - for $1.50, they will give you a permit for a reserved parking space. That was slick - took us awhile to figure it out - so this is a good tip for you.

Breakfasts were the full standard fare for Comfort Suites and the seating area was roomy. That was good as there were bus tours in the hotel for 4 of the 7 nights. We were parked in one day by a loading bus, when I asked the driver to back up 6 feet so we could get out, the desk clerk interjected that I would just have to wait - the driver, however, went out and moved the bus (we had already waited about 10 minutes before asking).

So the downsides here are the bus tours (if crowded breakfast rooms bothers you) and not overly friendly clerks. (My experience with Comfort Suites is that most are ready to go the extra mile no matter what it takes - that is not the case here.) Many days we did not get a paper as they were all gone due to the buses - we asked but could not get one saved although the person in the room next door had one place on the door daily.

I would stay here again - and I would recommend it - it was convenient to all that we wanted to do which included side trips to Crystal Lake, Elgin, Joliet and Lombard as well as Hyde Park, Chicago (twice) and just around. It's also near Oakbrook Shopping Mall which is great and there are great places to eat. For high end seafood, try Braxtons at the shopping center (as good as San Francisco) and for every day, try Simons, down the road from the hotel. I did reviews on both places.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
Windsor, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Rooms were clean but in need of repairs.

Elevator is locked off during non-pool hours so you can't go to the lowest level if you choose to. I believe coin laundry is located on the lower level.

Management and staff have a terrible attitude about smokers yet encourage their staff to smoke at entrance doors to not be far from their posts. Guests MUST stay more than 15 feet from doors as per state laws. At the mere mention of intent to smoke away from the building, you will be warned endlessly to stay away from the building or will be fined $150.00, added to your bill. And they don't quit either, they will shriek at you if you challenge them about staff smoking right at the doors, to them that's OK!!!

Stay away from here, they are very inconsiderate of their guests.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Warner Robins Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

We needed a comfortable room for four nights in Chicago and this one delivered! The staff was very helpful and the room was very nice. Clean and everything worked. We enjoyed the breakfasts and the staff made sure that nothing ran out. Parking was convenient.
Our one complaint was the pool. We stayed at the end of the memorial day holiday weekend and it showed with the pool. All the families with kids had left it very dirty. We understand that it's difficult to clean up after hundreds of people who use one small area
from opening to closing. I should have asked how the filter was working. Even with this one disappointment, we would certainly stay there again- just not during a busy holiday!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Chillicothe, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

Older hotel and not what I expected from a Choice hotel. We were "upgraded" to a room(131) with a DVD player at no charge. Thanks for nothing. The window in the room was open and would not close. You could not escape the rain and street noise. There were spiders in the bathroom and the bed! The worst of it was when we returned home they sent me a letter charging me for 2 pillows!! We did not take any spider infested pillows!! General manager, Laveen Hira, did not take or return any of my calls. Customer service told me how unfortunate it was but could do nothing. I did receive an email that stated I would get a refund when I return the pillows! I disputed the charge and we'll see what happens. I feel they didn't charge us for the worthless upgrade so they charged us for pillows! Remember, they have your Credit Card number and can charge you for anything! Running a scam!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

This hotel has a nice welcoming lobby and very attentive staff on board. I have a few complaints however that made my 3 day stay less than what I would expect. First off, there was an issue with my company credit card, that was resolved very efficiently. No complaints there. Second, the room was more than adequate for my stay. I wasn't expecting a suite, I was totally surprised. I don't why, it is their name "Comfort Suites". How much comfort remains to be seen though. What I can't understand for the life of me, why do they continue to build hotels and somehow not soundproof the rooms. That is problem number one for me. I could hear the gentleman next door snoring, very loudly while I tried to get some sleep. It sounded as if he were sleeping right next to me. I did not get any sleep because of that. The bed was somewhat comfortable, however, the mattress needed to be turned. It was lightweight worn with body imprints and sank down on the right side. The linens were very comfortable and soft and everything appeared clean. I did have a problem with the card key and was given 4 of them to open the door and each time had to go back to retrieve the front desk person to open the door. It was a nuisance. A full blown tour bus, greyhound pulled in around 11PM and idled for about an hour in the back parking lot. It sounded like a garbage truck. I chose the back of the hotel for a reason. It was supposed to be quiet. The interior designer did not measure and put a drawer/cabinet for the TV that overlapped the doorway to the bathroom. I walked into it a number of times in the dark. All that could have been solved by measuring properly and buying a cabinet that fit properly rather than making it fit. I have bruises on my leg because of it. Other than those few things, it was an okay stay, however I would not stay there again, I would find another place in Chicago.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010 via mobile

Nice clean room, good breakfast, good exercise room, friendly and efficient staff, good location, great price. Too noisy on north side of hotel (roosevelt road), heater was extremely loud, television in bedroom was outdated (tv in front was hdtv). Would stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed April 2010
Champaign IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

We were pleasantly surprised at the improvements made to this hotel--it was undergoing renovation the last time we stayed here, perhaps 2-3 years ago. Plusher bedding (new mattresses with the extra top layer), new furniture, and somewhat renovated bathrooms. I don't know what the previous reviewer was talking about, but waffles and freshly scrambled eggs along with fruit, cereal, and danish pastries seem to be a little more than a standard continental breakfast. Very reasonable--great to have the micro and fridge, and it's close to the city. We've really hunted, and this is about the best deal for location and amenities, including free computer use in the lobby. The street is pretty busy on the front side of the hotel, but it didn't really disturb our sleep. The back side is very quiet. Can't comment on the pool or exercise equipment as we didn't use either. We stayed two weekends in a row, and hotel staff members were helpful and efficient.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Suites Oakbrook Terrace? Share your experiences!