“Better than the rest in Oakbrook Terrace” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast Is On Us!
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toledo, Ohio
“Better than the rest in Oakbrook Terrace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I was in Chicago for 6 weeks for school but didn't want to stay downtown near the school because it's too expensive. Oakbrook Terrace was recommended to me as an affluent area with lots of shopping and restaurants that is very safe (I’m a female travelling alone). I stayed in other hotels in Oakbrook Terrace during my 6 weeks (I wrote reviews on La Quinta, Staybridge Suites, Hilton Suites) and this was by far the best experience.

First let me state my only complaint. They change the hotel rate often and drastically and it isn’t worth the high rate they sometimes charge. I was there for one week and paid $84 a night. I wanted to stay on for another 2 weeks but front desk said the following week would be $190 a night and the week after $90 a night and they were unwilling to work with me on the rate. I wrote an email to complain about this and their response was that it varies based on how busy they are. I understand all hotels do this but when a guest says she wants to stay for 2 more weeks, they should be more willing to work with you on the rate. I subsequently took my business elsewhere for the next 2 weeks.

The hotel is new and nicely decorated unlike its sister property across the parking lot, Hilton Suites. It will appeal to business professionals and those like me who are accustomed to 5 star accommodations. The room had a fridge and microwave and they give you two bottles of complimentary water in your room. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean although a bit small, and housekeeping did a great job. I never heard anything from other rooms but could hear everything from the hallway. They offer free internet and occasionally put out really good cookies in the evening near the elevators. There is a tiny indoor pool and gym which were usually empty. I wish the breakfast buffet were free. It's cheaper to go to Denny's. Parking is free and the lot was safe. Make sure you request a quiet room because one end of the hotel is adjacent to a highway. My room was in the middle and I didn't hear any street noise. As a female travelling alone, I felt completely safe. There is a nice mall down the street with a Nordstrom, Lord and Taylor, Macys, lots of restaurants, etc.

I recommend this hotel above all the others I stayed at in Oakbrook Terrace. Don't bother with the Hilton Suites across the parking lot which is more expensive (considered an upgrade which I made the mistake of accepting for a different one night stay) and somewhat run-down. I will definitely return to the Garden Inn as long as the rate is reasonable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
PaulGrande, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Oakbrook Terrace, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Wildlotus2482,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our property the most in the area. Six weeks is a long time to be away from home. We probably could have done more to work with you on your rate. I hope you took advantage to sign up for our HHonors program, with the time you spent here, you would be well on your way to advancing up a level, its not too late if you haven't! If school ever brings you back this way, we would be honored to be your home away from home.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Fort Wayne, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hotel is just down the street from Oakbrook Mall, although not walking distance. It is a bit difficult to find because it is tucked off the road. It is very clean and seems to be either new or recently renovated. The staff was also quite friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not facing highway.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Travelmom200612,

Thanks for taking your time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are not a new hotel, so I give all the credit to our Operations team for maintaining it in great condition. Remember, we do have a shuttle service to get you to and from the Mall. I hope we will get to see you again soon.
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed her last week for several nights and booked 5 or 6 rooms for family members. Loved the ambiance of the hotel - bright and cheerful, and the staff was very friendly. Rooms were clean, and breakfast, with made-to-order omelettes was excellent. Only complaint was that they seemed unable to give me confirmation of my complicated reservation in writing by e-mail. This may me nervous but in the end the rooms were there for us. At check-out we were mistakenly billed about 30% more for each room than quoted. Fortunately I did have one e-mail from them quoting the lower price so an adjustment was made. I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sharon2004,

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I apologize that we had some issues with emailing your confirmation information, I do not know why it was an issue but I will definitely look into it. I hope your travels bring you back this way, we would be honored to host you again. Have a great day.
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We have never been disappointed staying at a Hilton Garden Inn and Oakbrook Terrace was no exception. Like the title says - Clean - Comfortable and Convenient!

The only negative that I can think of is that we had to ask for a couple of Bath Towels. Otherwise everything else as expected.

Just a side note - We did not have the breakfast but drove down the street to a local Breakfast Restaurant - 5 minutes - called Simons. Much more reasonable and GOOD food!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Wrenchillinois,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I am glad we provided you with a positive experience. If you are ever returning, please mention during your reservation that you would appreciate a few extra towels and we will have them waiting for you in your room upon arrival! Have a grerat day.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Thid is a nice hotel just off the highway. Only 18 miles or so from Chicago, which makes travel downtown very easy (as you have several road options). It's also right next to the Drury Lane convention center.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Oakbrook Terrace, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear mgiese84,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Trip Advisor site. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, we look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Lincoln, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel doesn't offer room service and doesn't have vending machines. You have to purchase things from the front desk - a pain when the front desk staff is busy checking people in. Otherwise, it's nice enough - maybe even too much room if you're just staying one night.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Cyasukot,

Thank you for posting your comments on TA. I am glad you overall enjoyed the hotel and maybe you can stay longer next time. I just wanted to let you know that we do offer Room Service and I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

This review is very belated, in regards to a stay in November of 2010. I have never had a worse experience at a hotel. EVER. It was Thanksgiving week and the fire alarm kept going off in the night. The first time, we went down to the lobby and sat there for half an hour while the fire department came and determined it was a false alarm. The second time it happened, around 3am, we called down to the front desk and they told us it was a false alarm and we should stay in our rooms. Everyone stood in the hallway, waiting for an update, at which point a police officer arrived and yelled at all of us that we should have gone to the lobby. We explained that we were told explicitly by the front desk that it was a false alarm and we should stay put, at which point he verbally attacked us, speaking and behaving like a spoiled 12 year old boy. (Obviously, the inept, immature, untrained jerk of a cop was in no way the hotel's fault). We trekked down to the lobby once again with the alarms blaring in our ears (and in the ears of the one year old children we had with us), and stood there for an hour waiting for the fire department to arrive and declare it a false alarm. They took their sweet time since it clearly was a false alarm, as they had already been to the hotel once that night. During this time, while over a hundred people in their pajamas were crowded into the lobby, the hotel staff did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. They never tried to inform us of what was causing the false alarms, they never made any kind of statement, they never provided an update, they never even apologized. Instead, they stood at their desk cracking jokes with the horrible cop and making fun of the guests. When I overheard them directing their immature jokes at someone in my party, I finally went over and confronted all of them, because their behavior was so reprehensible, irresponsible and unprofessional. The cop was as rude as ever, but more importantly, the hotel personnel literally slunk away to a back room where they wouldn't be bothered anymore by the guests of the hotel. Eventually we returned to our rooms and packed up, expecting that the alarm may well go off again. And it did, around 5am. At that point, we took our stuff and piled it into our cars, and turned up very early at our relative's house since we were done with the hotel. I hope that since my stay, the hotel has greatly improved the quality of their employees, who hopefully are no longer one step up from a high school intern. The people that Hilton allowed to be in charge of their hotel that night were not only unprofessional and rude, they were inept and clearly had received no training whatsoever. It is terrifying that they were in charge of the safety of all of the guests staying at that hotel.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear MD,

Thank you for posting your comments on TA. I do remember that night and I agree how frustrating it was with the alarm continuing to go off throughout the night. I am deeply sorry my staff was unable to meet your needs and we will discuss the events as a team. I am happy to report we have completed an upgrade to the life safety system which now gives us the opportunity to make an announcement to the entire hotel. I understand that this can not fix the events of 8 months ago but we would be honored to earn another opportunity for you to visit in the future.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Oakbrook Terrace? Share your experiences!