“awful... and not just due to the lack of service” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #86 of 111 Restaurants in Oak Park
Cuisines: Mexican
Oak Park, Illinois
“awful... and not just due to the lack of service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

what little staff they have is friendly, but obviously stressed and ineffective... the owner finally offered to take our order when our waitress failed to make an appearance in the first 20 minutes. the appetizer we ordered got lost, one water glass was badly chipped, and adequate silverware had to be requested after the food was finally delivered. our entrees arrived about an hour after we'd been seated. the pollo con mole my wife and I ordered was over-cooked and dry despite being drowned in sauce; the beans and rice were tasteless and looked like they came from a can. our daughter took two bites of her steak burrito and abandoned it. my impression is that they don't have a chef, they just reheat Sysco frozen meals and canned items. like i said... it was an awful experience!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Buffalo Grove, Illinois
“worst service ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Some of the worst service I have ever had. The owner was very rude. He sat and watched his staff give poor service. He said "If you had a complaint, why didnt you say something after 5 minutes?". This made no since since he was in the same room (getting drunk). He lost 12 drinks and tip right from the begining and we left after he told us "take it or leave it!"

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago
“Bad Mexican food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011 via mobile

Mexican restaurants in the Chicago area are wide and plenty. You can find all kinds of regional cuisines along with simple street food and elegant settings, so the competition should be fierce and selection plenty. Well, this is one place you won't have to try if you are an aficionado of Mexican food. It is one of the worst places I have ever eaten at. The beans are canned, the rice is flat and the enchilada sauces, taste like they simply opened a can, poured and warmed it up. I have tried seafood twice and both times, the smell of the shrimp was strong, as in old.
Service was courteous, but they took forever to come when we needed to ask for things. There were only a few other patrons.
The setting is spacious with lots of privacy, but the atmosphere is dark and cavernous. It's so dark, your eyes need a few minutes to adjust. The decor appears to be dated, none of the contemporary colorful decor you'll find at many other more current places.
I tried this place three times, hoping that I was just having bad luck. I'm surprised they are still in business.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oak Park, Illinois
“It was close ...so we went.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

Okay I don't know what happened...we used to really like this place.

Originally this was a family restaurant, family run and owned. The service was great the food was top notch.

A few years later they added a mexican grill to the restaurant, and for a few months it was EXCELLENT.......then it went downhill from there.

We gave it a few more chances as we like to patronize local restaurants. The second before the last we actually walked out, and the last we thought to our selves we should have never given this place a second chance. As I think about that experience I think about 'Kitchen Nightmares' and I don't even want to think about what I ate...but I paid heavily for it later.

I'm not sure if this place was handed down or sold.....ALL I know is that its not the same as it was a few years back, and personally I wish it would just go away or get better. I have mixed feelings as I really liked this place...but then it went down the crappper.

Gordon Ramsey would be a blessing in this place.