“Cheap, fast, delicious! A favorite in Oak Park!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 110 restaurants in Oak Park
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Deocrah, Iowa
“Cheap, fast, delicious! A favorite in Oak Park!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

When we lived in Oak Park (circa 2000-2002), we ate here regularly. Now, we stop by on our way to the city, and it's still fantastic. The hummus is awesome, our kids love the lentil soup, and I can't get enough chicken shwarma (sp?). And so cheap! I love this place. Mmmmmm.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Chicago, IL
“Some dishes ok but seafood was horribly salty.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012 via mobile

The hummus and chicken dishes were good. The seafood platter was so salty we had to send it back. Our waitress was not pleased to do that. But eventually took it off our bill.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“Good food, great value, friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We had a groupon and found the food to be plentiful, hot and tasty. BYOB was nice to keep the costs down. The waitress was new and very friendly. Good place for take out or dine in with another or small group. Seating for about 20.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Underwhelming Exterior - Good Food Inside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I have been to Grape Leaves several times in the past year - most recently two weeks ago. My experience has been very consistent throughout.

It is very easy to miss Grape Leaves if you're not looking for it. It's sandwiched in between two larger storefronts just south of the Green Line on Oak Park Avenue. It is marked by an unassuming awning and I have never seen it terribly busy (so it is unlikely you'll hear lots of people).

There is usually only one or two people working in the restaurant outside of the kitchen, so it took a few minutes for our table to be serviced each time we were there. If you're in a hurry, you'll probably be pretty unhappy with the amount of time it takes for them to come to your table. This may not be the case each time but it has been each of the three times I've been there. I also have not found the service to be very cheery...not angry, just not cheery and welcoming. I'm there for the food, not the service, so this is also okay with me.

It's about the same with the decor. The inside is nicely painted and the music is selected to match the restaurant, but it doesn't blow me away. For the price of the food here - very reasonable - I'm not going to ask them to go all-out on the decorations. They're pleasant but not anything to get excited about.

I really like the food at Grape Leaves. The baba ghanoush is certainly worth ordering and comes with a lot of pita. I get it every time I go. The other times I have ordered different items off the menu. The food tastes very clean and light but is also filling and flavorful. It was brought quickly to my table each time. I've had friends complain about the grape leaves, saying they are too bitter, but in my experience other restaurants have sweetened their grape leaves. The slight tartness in Grape Leaves's grape leaves (I know, I know, start groaning now) makes them much more interesting and more authentic to me.

Didn't order any drinks, but they did an alright job refilling my water when it got low. The price is about right, too. I paid about $6.50-$9.00 depending on the entree, which is pretty good for a non fast food restaurant in Oak Park.

Summary: Good food, slow start to the service, good price.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Delicious Middle-Eastern food at a great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I love this place. I go here quite often on my way home from work. The hummus is the best I have ever tasted and the falafels are amazing. The kebobs are also delicious. The atmosphere is lacking, but the prices are very reasonable.

• Visited October 2011