“What a Way to Start the Day” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 110 restaurants in Oak Park
Cuisines: American
Chicago
“What a Way to Start the Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This place was recommended by a friend and came highly regarded by his family. I had really no idea what to expect upon arrival, but when I walked in to see a extremely well decorated and courteous staff I knew it was going to be a fabulous lunch. Having never had chicken and waffles before, this was a truly unique experience having two great foods together, and for breakfast-lunch, how exciting! I ordered "The Saint" with white meat and wow. I love waffles and these are probably the best waffles I have ever had. They were a much different consistency and taste then I am accustomed to to. The Chicken was delicious and the pairing of the two was a delectable treat to the taste buds. Waiter was amazing and very courteous, believe his name was Demetrius, ask for him. I went on a weekday and there was not a whole lot of parking so if you plan on going during the peak weekend times you might encounter a parking issue. Well worth the walk down the residential streets however! Can not wait to go back with friends in the future.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

60% Recommend
“First time...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Me & my mom had a groupon and were in the area and decided to go.The service was good although I didn't have waffles the soulfood was great. We went around 6pm so the sunday crowd was gone.. I definitely will go back and with our groupon we only payed 6bucks . Can't beat that.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Soul Food, Huge Portions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This very popular restaurant specializes in down home sold food. My wife had a buckwheat waffle and a huge plate of gizzards and I had fried chicken and rice. We shared a side of red beans and rice and some corn bread. Everything was excellent and the service and ambience were very pleasant. The waffles are not crispy--think of them as a bread substitute. The red beans were the best that we have ever eaten. We left completely satisfied with a large bag of food to enjoy at home.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Southern Cooking Comes to Chicagoland!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

At first it seems like an odd combination, especially chicken for breakfast or brunch. We found out it's a Southern tradition. And it Works! The waffles are like nothing you've tasted before. The chicken was not overly breaded, very moist and not greasy. The four of us all had a different combination. All were delighted.
The interior was very attractive and the service was very wonderful and prices fair.
We'll be back again. We especially want to try their fish dinners.

• Visited April 2013