“Best B&B we have ever stayed at!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harvey House Bed and Breakfast

You added Harvey House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Harvey House Bed and Breakfast
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   107 South Scoville Avenue, Oak Park, IL 60302   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Oak Park B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toledo, Ohio
“Best B&B we have ever stayed at!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed here on our belated honeymoon.
Of all our travels, and places we have stayed this is the single greatest 'home away from home' we have ever been to. The owner bent over backward to help us, the B&B was near a train station which made travel and tourism through the city ultra easy. The B&B was exceptionally clean, the staff friendly, the food great.

Every day we were there, there were freshly baked goods left out for us to munch on. I LOVED the m&m cookies!

We were treated like royalty, and suggest this B&B to EVERYONE! While we stayed there, the other guests were very pleasent, and made for great intereaction! This place is pure class, and attracts pure class!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

What more can I say about gourmet breakfasts, home baked sweets and snacks (and wine for a night cap) in the kitchen until the wee hours, cool bikes you can borrow, and inn keepers who attend to your every whim? Well, I could add that the entire home is spacious, elegantly appointed and that the bedrooms are beautiful, quiet, and comfortable. I should probably also add that you might get free cooking lessons! Beth, the owner/innkeeper, is absolutely delightful and a serious cook. When I asked about her recipe for 'To Die for Blueberry Muffins' (and she's not kidding!) she took time to give me a few pointers on ingredients, temperatures, containers, etc. There is a Harvey's Recipes Book in the works which I will definitely be buying.

This B&B is located so that it is easy to get to the city but, if you just want to hang out in the burbs there is plenty to do. We took the walking tour of Frank Lloyd Wright homes, visited the Earnest Hemingway Museum and birthplace (just across the street) and took in a play at the Austin Gardens Festival Theatre and had our anniversary dinner at the Maya Del Sol, where we were treated to a complimentary limo ride to the play! The whole town welcomed us and made us feel like friends instead of tourists.

If you are planning to go to the Chicago area call Beth at Harvey House. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
saugatuck, michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the bed and breakfast during a weekend in September when it rained almost non-stop from Saturday morning to Sunday evening. We went to check out The Renegade Handmade Art Fair, as well as to check out some of the galleries and shops as possible places to sell my artwork. At first everything at the bed and breakfast seemed great. It was beautiful, the room was great, we were able to use the dryer to dry some of our things that we had gotten soaked on the way over, they had snacks, the owner seemed very accomodating. Saturday evening we were talking and she ended up looking at some of my artwork. She thought it was great, and insisted upon calling up one of her gallery owner friends to set up a time for me to take my things in and show her. I didn't feel comfortable with that. My plan was to anonymously go into the shops and galleries and look around and get a feel for if I would fit in there, and if I didn't think so, just leave, and not bother the owner at all. Anyway, she had already made this appointment. So we went over to her gallery on Sunday. We walked in and we talked with the woman for 20-30 minutes about my work and what she was looking for etc. She made it clear in the first 5-10 minutes though that she was looking for little under $20 items and was trying to get into "green" art recycled, repurposed etc. So when I heard that was what she wanted I knew it wasn't a fit for me since my items cost more, so I packed up my things and we left, and I didn't think much more about it. However, on Monday morning when we were checking out of the b&b, the owner starts lecturing us. Telling us how we were so rude to her friend, the gallery owner, by leaving before she was done talking to us. The gallery owner had called her and complained about us. I tend to think that the gallery owner was upset that she had been obligated to come out and have this meeting with us, that her friend had set up, and it hadn't developed into anything, and yet she had still had to drive through a bunch of water, her yard had been flooded, and it was still raining. So I think she was just in a bad mood that day. So the owner is calling us out on how rude we've been to her friend and this is news to us. Anyway, her lecturing/attacking manner really upset me and the fact that it wasn't true at all too. I couldn't keep from crying, but I didn't want to cry infront of her, so my husband had to bear the brunt of her lecture while I was in the hall bathroom crying and trying to compose myself so that I could tell her what really happened. But every time that I went back out and tried to talk to her I started crying again so I wasn't able to defend myself, my husband tried his best. She kept saying how rude I was to keep leaving the room, but she had to have seen I was crying! She lectured us for half an hour or something and the last ten minutes of her lecture were really rambling about not being albe to push a string and what a great person she was....We stuck around until she was done because we are not rude people and had been taught not to just leave when some one is talking to us. We were so glad to hurry out of there when she seemed done though. It was just so upsetting that she would talk like that to her customers. We were so happy with every other aspect of our stay there that we would have been repeat customers for sure whenever coming to Chicago. But after that, we will never go back there and never recommend it to anyone, but tell them this story of how horrible the owner is.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

Being an out of town business owner, I have stayed at nearly every sleeping establishment in and around the City of Chicago. The Harvey House is hands down my favorite. I am thrilled when Beth actually has availability. I know I'll be waking up to great coffee, warm hospitality, good conversation and if I am lucky egg cups or, pehaps, puffed pancakes. The Harvey House is NOT like every other sleeping establishment. It is more of an experience. If you ever visit the Chicago area you need to try it at least once or, like me, often. . . that is if you can get a room.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Harvey House. The breakfasts were great (some days no need for lunch)! The atmosphere at this B & B is so relaxed and welcoming that most days we didn't venture out until mid to late afternoon. We were content to spend time reading near the fire. My husband also relished the opportunity to play the grand piano. We also can't praise Oak Park enough. We had no idea that this suburb of Chicago was such a gem! There are so many quality restaurants and cute boutiques in walking distance from Harvey House. Plus you may want to check out the Ernest Hemingway's birth place and museum and the Frank Lloyd Wright House and Studio. Harvey House is just a quick walk from the green line, so you can always explore the city too.

Great food, relaxed atmosphere, friendly outgoing service, and lots to do...who could ask for anything more! Harvey House is definitely a B & B we look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Park Forest, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

I surprised my husband with a one night stay to this wonderful bed and breakfast. I can't say enough good things about Beth. I called her and e-mailed her numerous times to get information about the area and other details and she delivered every time. My husband isn't the type that likes b & b's but he loved this one. We stayed in the Garden Room, beautiful fireplace but it got the temperature up a lot, but Beth helped us out by bringing the air conditioner. The breakfast was so good. The jacuzzi in the room was phenomenal! We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Upstate, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Harvey House. I travel frequently for work in the US and abroad and Harvey House is one of the most delightful and comfortable B&B Inns I have ever stayed in. Beth tries to meet your every need in a gentle, unpretentious, and unintrusive way. The location is great and the house has lots of great places to work or read. The breakfasts are delicious and there are always treats available for off times. I'll definitely come back and I recommend Harvey house most highly.

• Liked — Friendly atmosphere, lovely house
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Harvey House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!