“Thanks for a great stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Under the Ginkgo Tree Bed and Breakfast

Under the Ginkgo Tree Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oak Park
Under the Ginkgo Tree Bed and Breakfast
You added Under the Ginkgo Tree Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
300 N Kenilworth Ave, Oak Park, IL 60302   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Oak Park B&B and Inns
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
“Thanks for a great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here before and will stay here again. We love the community, the neighborhood, the home and the host. And, we have never seen such a big privately owned Gingo tree.

This is the best deal in Chicagoland and close to everything.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Belleville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife & I came into town for the weekend to check out Christmas downtown Chicago and explore Oak Park and Frank Lloyd Wright's home - which is 1 block away from Under the Ginko Tree.

This b&b is in a restored 122 year old home - character abounds! Walking distance to downtown Oak Park - which also has plenty of character! Plenty to see and places to eat.

This b&b is ran by a wonderful host named Gloria - she makes you feel just like you are part of the family - she is a wealth of knowledge for the region and will guide you in the right direction in what you may want to do, see or eat...

Now here are some hard facts - room 1 has a king size bed and I think the only room with a tv and its own bathroom Room 2 I believe has a queen sized bed and its own bathroom as well, other bed rooms share bathrooms - but all are very quaint and simple and comfortable.

The breakfasts are very simple - cereal, breads and pastries - coffee, juice and tea.
If you are wanting more than this - don't worry plenty of nearby places to eat - or get your favorite mocha... In fact there are two Starbucks, and two Cariobou (sp?) coffee houses within 6 or 7 blocks...

Looking for a place to feel refreshed, relaxed and just "be" - this is the place to go!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I just happen to come across UTGT, while looking for a cheaper place to say in Chicago that wasn't downtown. I found UTGT, and Gloria was absolutely amazing...in fact she reminded me of my grandma with a Chicago accent. She was a great host, and had cookies and snacks out at all hours of the day. Breakfast was cereals, yogurts, yummy breads, plus OJ, Milk, and Fruit. Nothing spectacular (except the bread) but really appreciated! The best thing about UTGT is that it is literally a 10 minute walk from the L. The Green Line can take you right into town, and you're only about 15 minutes from the United Center. We felt very welcome, safe, and there's no curfew! One reviewer mentioned that there was an abundance of Religious stuff, and while this is true, it's not shoved in your face. I could see how this MAY be a problem for someone who is not religious or atheist, but for us, it was fine. This is the way to go! Easy parking, low prices, and WAY better than a hotel.

Room Tip: Room 1 and 2 have private bathrooms, the other 3 have a shared bath.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed for four nights here, in room number 1, which has an ensuite bathroom. The room is spacious and you can even sit down by the windows looking out to the back garden, where the ginkgo tree is. The house is located in a very privileged location, near the Frank Lloyd Wright house and the Ernest Hemingway museum. You can walk everywhere from here (only a 10 minute walk to the heart of Oak Park: Lake Street), and the surroundings are gorgeous and pretty safe, even late at night. Another big plus is having wi-fi with good signal and I guess we can add the room price ($90 USD).
The owner and hostess, Gloria Onischuk, is a very nice and warm person. She was very helpful by giving us directions to places, and she let us keep our bags in the house after our check-out time. Sadly, we woke up late every morning, so we were not able to have our breakfast with her and the rest of the guests, which I'm sure it's a really nice way to start the day.
Oak Park is a lovely town and I'd love to come back, if I ever do, I'll definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Room 1 gets loads of natural light in.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Streamwood, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My fiance and I just wanted a weekend getaway where we could enjoy Oak Park at affordable accommodations. We got much more than that! The hosts are friendly and sweet and are as open or respectful of privacy as you desire. The rooms are pretty spacious and quite clean and we had a great and relaxing time. Price was right as well!! We stayed in room 1, which had it's own en-suite bathroom. She allowed us to check in early at no charge and was very sweet and inviting the whole stay!Would recommend and would use again if in that area!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I am not a big fan of hotels, so I usually look for a smaller, family-owned establishment instead. A nice pool, fitness center, on-site restaurant/bar and travel center mean little to me, so I don't like to pay for them if I am not going to be using them.

With this in mind, I was going to be in Chicago and wanted to find something to meet my needs. Under The Gingko Tree was perfect for me. It is located in Oak Park and provides a good base for visiting Chicago. It is close to the Green Line of the CTA train. It is also close to many restaurants and shops, as well as the Frank Lloyd Wright and Hemingway museums.

The location gives you convenient public transportation access to most of what Chicago has to offer, if you don't like to drive in the city or pay the ridiculous parking fees there. The room was great for $90.00 a night with a very nice continental-style breakfast included. This particular room also had a private bath. Gloria, the owner and hostess was super. She is very outgoing, helpful, fun-loving and was made for this type of business.

If I ever find myself in the Chicago area again, I will definitely be staying at the Gingko Tree.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stay at Under the Ginkgo Tree whenever we visit my brother in Oak Park (to avoid his darn cats). I like room 2 which is large, tastefully and comfortably furnished with an enormous en suite bathroom. The house is lovingly restored and preserved but is not the least bit precious or pretentious. . Gloria, our hostess, is gracious and helpful. So for instance, when we visited last weekend in the rain, she immediately asked us if we needed umbrellas. Breakfast is an informal affair--you pick up your cereal, yogurt, pastry, coffee etc. in Gloria's homey kitchen and proceed to a big table in the elegant dining room. Last week end the guests were from all over the globe and the conversation was delightful. The location cannot be beat--a very short walk to the Frank Lloyd Wright visitor's center and the Hemingway museum and pretty close to the shops and restaurants. Oak Park is a great place to visit and Gloria's beautiful home is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for room 2!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Under the Ginkgo Tree Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!