“Showing It's Age” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Oak Lawn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Showing It's Age”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

So wish I could gush. Service here was that good. Unfortunately, room smelled a bit moldy and kicked off my allergies something fierce. Traffic was noisy. I read reviews about both so prepared myself w/a room freshener and "white noise" machine. Couldn't have slept without them. Loved the staff; sleeping was on the challenging side. TIP: no blow dryer. Bring own coffee as the room had large coffee maker but like most hotels/motels now: supplied enough coffee for one (!) cup of regular. Breakfast served in front office has more coffee, but nice to have in own room too. Fridge in my room was convenient.

Room Tip: Room 25 was on second floor but was musty, noisy from street traffic.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Ritaonthelawn, Owner at Gateway Motel and Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
So sorry the traffic kept you from sleeping, that is a problem we are currently working on.
We are so happy the staff made you feel comfortable, and we are also almost done with
entire make over the the hotel.

So please come back for a second try, and this time we are serving hot coffee, hot waffles,
and so much more.

Sincerly,
Bob and Rita, the Gateway to Oak Lawn

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Albuquerque
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

After a terrible night at another motel with an uncomfortable mattress that was way too old, we looked at Trip Advisor to find an alternative and found the Gateway. We loved the new mattress, friendly service and comfortable room. Yes, this is an older motel, but it is a good location for us to visit family. The street is noisy at night, but turning on the A/C helped drown out the traffic noise. Good continental breakfast with hard-boiled eggs, bagels and cream cheese, cereal and bananas. Good wi-fi signal. We will be back!

Room Tip: Kitchenettes are available if you need more than a microwave and mini-fridge. However, no dishes or...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Just would like to thank the owners of the motel for being very accomodating. We stayed there this past weekend and the room was very nice. The flat screen tv and cable, air conditioning, bed, and bath were clean. We will gladly stay there the next time we are here visiting our Chicago family.

Room Tip: If you need a first floor, make sure you request it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Western Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

In February 2012, I had to attend a training event which was being at the hospital which is located very near this motel. I needed to stay two nights. I chose this motel due to location and price. I was not disappointed.

This motel is not fancy--and I have absolutely no problem with that. I wasn't looking for a spa or resort. I was looking for a place to sleep that was "easy on my wallet". The overall design and decor are probably closer to 1972 than 2012--BUT I found my room to be well-maintained, clean, and reasonably quiet (especially for being located on a busy street and near a hospital). There was a microwave and refrigerator in my room. There was an adequate channel selection on the flat screen television. The bed was clean and comfortable.

The front desk staff members were very pleasant and helpful The continental breakfast was very small--but adequate. It snowed a few inches on my second night there. Once the snow stopped, the space all around my car was shoveled out for me. There are a few fast food restaurants, a convenience store and a small "strip mall" located within easy walking distance.

If I ever need to stay in Oak Lawn again--and I want a nice, inexpensive, place to sleep, I will be back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This quaint, family owned motel was the perfect choice for my visit. I was looking for a convenient location close to my daughter, reasonably priced, safe, and clean. The Gateway met my requirements perfectly. Very sweet and helpful owners and staff, coffee and pastries in the office every morning, clean and safe. Free wifi, flat screen TVs, mini-fridge, microwave, cable, and air conditioning that kept me cool during a heat wave in July. Located on 95th, I expected to hear the traffic, but not so. I couldn't even hear the baby in the room next door. It was the perfect choice.

They gave my daughter the key to the room the day before, as my flight came in very late, and when my laptop would not pick up the wireless signal from one of the end rooms, they moved me to a closer spot with no hesitation.

I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

Staying at the Gateway was convient and was almost like being at home. Each room has a convient refrigerator and microwave. The air conditioning worked great. And the bathrooms were a great size. As for cleaniness, it was also like being at home. Close to expressways, shopping and restaurants galore, we will make Gateway our "Home away from home" next time we come to visit family.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Gateway Motel and Inn? Share your experiences!