“Family Reunion For 150” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 hotels in Oak Brook
St. Louis, MO.
“Family Reunion For 150”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for three nights. Wonderful stay for our bi-yearly family reunion. Hotel is at a great location across from the beautiful Oak Brook shopping mall, which is currently under renovation. Hotel was clean. Staff members were very accommodating and nice. Not far from downtown Chicago. Highly recommend this hotel. We didn't experience any of the negative comments.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
kathy d, Manager at Chicago Marriott Oak Brook, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Mr. Bonstehill,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found the Oak Brook Marriott to your liking. It was great to hear that your say and the family reunion was a success.
We look forward to serving your travel needs should you return to the Oak Brook area for future stays or events.

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Had a good stay.

First walked into the hotel and the lobby looked redone. Went to the elite check in line to check in. The lady at check in was not having a good day, I could definitely tell. Booked a 2 double room, knowing there were suites available, and requested to be upgraded (Platinum Elite). She told me I could upgrade for a charge of $149. What? This hotel is basically empty and you are charging me for an upgrade? She told me that my upgrade was to have the mall view. But seriously, I asked multiple times to be upgraded and was very nice about it, and soon as I know it she is reciting the handbook of Marriott Platinum and what an upgrade is considered. I didn't need that.

Go up to the room and it is clean, until I looked out the window. No joke, that window either needs to be cleaned or replaced. I could barely see clearly out the window without getting on my knees and looking out.

Went down to the pool and fitness center. I think this Marriott vested all their money into both of these amenities. It was very well equipped with new equipment, pool basketball was available in the pool, and the hot tub was just the right temperature.

Slept comfortably in the bed. Wanted to grab a laundry bag out of the closet the next morning and looked up. Disgusting, moldy piping was above me. Like seriously? Look at the picture. This is not something a guest should see.

I chose the hot breakfast from the restaurant instead of bonus points given the concierge lounge was closed. Breakfast was ok. The lady making the omelettes did not leave them in the pan long enough, so mine was falling apart. There was a long line, so she was rushing. All other foods at the buffet were pretty good; fruits, sausages, potatoes, yogurt, pastries, etc.

I would say this stay was below average to ok, and because I frequently travel to Oakbrook, I don't think this Marriott will be the first one I jump to; may go to the Courtyard down the street.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Mr. Bloom,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your concerns. I apologize that we were not able to deliver the room upgrade, breakfast service standards which you deserve. I take your feedback very seriously and would like to discuss this matter in person. Please phone me at the hotel 630-573-8555 so that I may better address this matter.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Clean rooms though a little small. Strange layout for hotel and difficult check-in process (no where to park car near front entrance).

Located near a business park and traffic is significantly backed up into the parking garage near rush hour. Room rate ($189) is a lot more than what you get.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear MarkJofminneapolis,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us.we appreciate the feedback and comments.
Hope to see you return again soon. Safe travels

Oswego, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I have been a platinum Marriott member for years, and this is by far the worst property I have ever experienced. I am traveling with friends who are also platinum members. We stopped in concierge for a snack and the hostess told us that only one platinum member and one guest were allowed. Even after we assured her that we met this requirement, she felt it necessary to repeat it 3 more times. We finally left the lounge and ate in the restaurant. Aside from this, the rooms are dated and the entire property could use a good cleaning.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear iavagabond,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I am so sorry that you did not have a good experience with us. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction, and we failed you on that. I will address your concerns with my team and use your feedback to make improvements to our service. If you would like to discuss this matter in greater detail, please phone me directly.
I hope that should you visit the Oak Brook area again you will give us the chance to show you how great we can be.

Bettendorf, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed here recently for a shopping trip.

The rooms are very small and somewhat outdated. Our room smelled musty. The bathroom door did not latch. The showerhead was way too close to the wall. The noise from the tollway was annoying at night.

The fitness room is ok for cardio but offers little for weightlifting.

The people were good. Service was what you'd expect from a Marriott. We only ate one meal on property (breakfast buffet) which was mediocre.

Next time we will try Marriott at Oak Brook Hills....haven't stayed there, but have nothing to lose vs. this hotel.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad but was far from what I expect from a Marriott, especially being in such a prime location (across street from Oak Brook Center). There is no special hotel experience to be had here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
kathy d, Manager at Chicago Marriott Oak Brook, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure that all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Your review will help us make the necessary improvements to our guest rooms in that they appear outdated and smell musty. We are in the process of completely a rooms renovation project to insure our guest rooms are kept up to date and fresh. We have our engineering team addressing the mechanical issues you mentioned to insure they have been addressed and corrected.
Thank you for the compliments on the hotel staff service, we do strive to make our guests visits memorable and special. Your insight will assist to our achieveing this experience. We hope that next time you’re in the area you will consider staying with us again.

Kathryn Dwyer
Director of Hotel Operations
Grinnell, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I recently traveled with my two eldest children (2 and 5) and my wife. We got the Zoo package with the hotel which was nice as the Zoo was great! The hotel location is the other reason this got a second star. We attempted to watch a movie with the children at the hotel as we were winding down. How ever the TV was so fuzzy we could hardly see anything. So we called service 3 times, to be told that a technician was on his way. After an hour of this I finally called them and told them don't bother. Our kids then went to bed, a half hour later the service man knocks on the door and wakes both of the kids up! Also my wife found 3 hairs of questionable origin on her pillows, which had her somewhat freaked out. We travel to the area a lot but doubt we will return to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
kathy d, Manager at Chicago Marriott Oak Brook, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Jon M,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable stay and level of customer service. The issues you mentioned are not typical of our hotel and we are incredibly sorry for every inconvenience. Please contact me directly for further assistance with any of these matters at 630-573-8555. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to Oak Brook.

Swanzey, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for work trip......yes the rooms are a bit tired and could use an update and the cost if the internet is very high......but.....the conference room was good, free parking was great, food served during conference was good, and nice to be close to the mall!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
kathy d, Manager at Chicago Marriott Oak Brook, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure that all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Your review will help us make the necessary improvements in our to our guest rooms and facilities, as it was discussed during our most recent team meeting. We hope that next time you’re in the area you will consider staying with us again.

Kathryn Dwyer
Director of Hotel Operations

Been to Chicago Marriott Oak Brook? Share your experiences!