“Mediocre Food; Terrible Service” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
J Alexander's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 69 Restaurants in Oak Brook
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: (just East of) IL 83
Description: J. Alexander’s is a contemporary American restaurant, known for its wood-fired cuisine. Our core philosophy is to provide you with the highest possible quality dining experience. The menu features a wide selection of American classics including prime rib of beef, steaks, fresh seafood, sandwiches and entrée salads. The menu in each restaurant includes a varied and rotating selection of features like Seafood Czarina, Tuscan Steak, Grilled Fish with Mango Papaya Salsa and Chicken Milanese. The restaurant has a full-service bar that includes an outstanding selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.
Vancouver, Canada
“Mediocre Food; Terrible Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The food was average and nothing special. The service was horrible. The waitress was drinking behind the bar and there was a group of staff in the corner eating and drinking. Very unprofessional.

Visited September 2013

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“Very nice place to meet friends and have a great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have been to J. Alexanders several times before my trip in August 2013. Most of the time it has been a central place to meet friends who work in Oakbrook and Lombard and Elmhurst. Plus it's a great place to meet after a long day's worth of shopping at Oakbrook Mall.

The purpose of this trip to J. Alexanders was to meet several old friends I used to work with and who I had not seen in years. We got there so early when there were just a couple of other tables filled that we did not noticed that when we did eventually order the restaurant was filled to capacity.

The food was excellent as usual as was the service that is until we were almost done with our meals. That is until I was almost done with my meal. I still had my fork in my hand when another waiter came by and swooped in to take my plate away. My friends commented on this and suggested I say something to the waiter.

As we were leaving I did inform the hostess of what happened and even though she offered to go and get the waitress and other waiter who had committed the offense, I just took her aside and mentioned that it was not a big deal and that they should have the common decency to wait until all the utensils were sitting on the plates. I did tell her that we did notice how busy the restaurant was and that maybe they were in a haste to get our booth ready for the next patrons, but I did notice that no one was waiting at the front of the restaurant for a table.

With this over I should say that this is still a very good place to go and get a great meal. I have eaten there many times in the past when I was a resident of the area and they have never disappointed with a meal. Great atmosphere and pretty quiet as well, so you do not have to yell at your friends sitting across from you.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Downers Grove, Illinois
“Solid choice, good variety”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Went for dinner with my wife and parents, each of us got something, and all four dinners were great. Steaks, scallops, ribs, and prime rib all done very well. Service was generally pretty good, but we has to wait a bit on some of the things we requested.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southlake, Texas
“Unexpectedly good value (and a tidy little wine list)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I had dinner here recently during a business trip, and was very satisfied by the food quality when compared to the value.

The per-glass wine list is very extensive and really was a welcome sight. Bonus points for having The Prisoner by the glass, which paired expertly with the steak frites.

Service is attentive and courteous yet not suffocating.

Atmosphere is perfect for a business casual dinner. Highly recommended!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oak Park, Illinois, United States
“Better than expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Got a recommendation to eat at this chain before it changed hands and didn't know what to expect. We had reservations for 4 on a Saturday night and needed to add one and be a little late and they were very accommodating. Actually much more than I expected from a restaurant by a busy mall! The server was very perky but not so much to be annoying. Prices are a bit high but the food was very good even though the special fish was already sold out. We all enjoyed what we ordered and will eat there again.
Nicely decorated. I even liked the tiles in the restroom!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere