“Cardinals Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in O'Fallon
Burna, Kentucky
“Cardinals Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Everything about this place was great except the beds, they were hard as a brick I don't understand why hotels always have beds like this. If like a hard bed this was a good clean place very nice staff it was very nice.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed here for 3 weeks and the whole time the laundry room was never full functioning. The second floor dryer was broken, the 1st floor had a dryer out the entire time and the washers had missing knobs so you have no idea what temps you are using. The management is a joke as they only have signs up that are so worn they must have been there for months saying "sorry for your inconvenience" if they really were "sorry" they would FIX THEM!! One of the reasons when we travel we stay at these type hotels is so we can do our laundry, this is unacceptable.

They also seem to have an issue with washcloths, had none in the room and when asked was told "we are out" but would get some from another hotel...this is unreal for a Holiday Inn property. They also did not have dish washer detergent on almost ever visit I made to the front desk to inquire.

Not sure how the district or regional management allows this to happen but really makes me wonder if they really understand the brand reputation Holiday Inn has and how this destroys the confidence a traveler has with the company.

Room Tip: make sure the movable parking lot basketball goal is not at your window as they allow all night game...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites O'Fallon, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear glendale215,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and surpass the very high standards of service our guests expect.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had with our laundry facilities. We are truly sorry for the dissatisfaction this has caused you and deeply regret the poor experience you had during your stay.

We welcome feedback as it assists us in our never-ending task to better ourselves and improve things for our guests. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is the most terrible Candlewood ever stayed at. Checkin took about 20 minutes as nothing was ready. Woman at the front desk was the only staff member in the whole hotel. Hallway on 4th floor smelled like urine, edges of the carpets in the rooms and hallways looked dusty as if they never vacumed them before. Bathroom counter had soap acum left on it and bathroom floor had hair all over it especially behind the door. The wash cloth had yellow stains on them and the ones that looked clean were old. The faucet in one of the rooms we are in will not stay on. I can go on and on but will never stay at a Candlewood ever again. I think their overall quality is going down very quick. I stayed at a Best Value Inn that was cleaner than this one. We are staying in 2 rooms and both have similar problems.

Room Tip: Not sure there is anything good in this facility
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites O'Fallon, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear ZGeorge,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is most disappointing to hear of your overall dissatisfaction and we are truly sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We also regret you were not satisfied with the condition of the room you received.

I have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Arbor Vitae
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

8 Night stay. Hotel is tucked back in a nice location just off the highway. My room was clean and comfortable per usual with Candlewood properties. They are pet friendly (as most are) and had a lot of green space for walking / exercising my dog.

There are a few restaurants within walking distance, and grocery shopping (walmart) less than 1 mile away.

The hotel is in close proximity to the St. Louis area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JohnVC, Manager at Candlewood Suites O'Fallon, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear RFDave,

Thanks for staying with us! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, we hope to see you again next time you are in the St. Louis area!

Thanks,

John
Del Rio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Had to have place for two 80 pds pups, room was great, had small number of dishes, staff was very friendly and was open to any requests. Fitness room was very nice, and they had two large fields for walking kids. Many eating places and movie theater within walking distance located right behind hotel. If you get the change go to down town Belleville, great older town they have fixed up mainstreet...they longest one in the U.S.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dee D, General Manager at Candlewood Suites O'Fallon, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for Choosing Candlewood Suites and we are so happy that you had a great stay and hope that you will visit again soon.

Thanks
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I had an extended stay at this hotel and I try to stay at Candlewoods whenever I am able as I do enjoy them.
On this particular trip I was unable to reserve or upon check-in get a suite room nor a room on the top floor, so the stay did not start out so well.
Upon arriving at the hotel I noticed there was plenty of parking and even during the busy times, there was no shortage of it. The hotel is very convenient to the highway but not on top of it as were so many other hotels. Also, it is set away from busy areas but still in easy walking distance to several chain restaurants and a movie theatre.
The hotel also allows pets and there are grassy areas both in front of (although that area is for
sale) and behind the hotel. Also behind the hotel is a cookout area with seating and a basketball
hoop and retention pond.
When I checked in, everyone was pleasant and I had no delays or problems other than not being
able to get the type of room that I really wanted - I was told they had none when I made my reservation and I was told that this had not changed when I checked in. They said they would have some in about a week, but I had so much stuff and had settled in and was very busy, so I chose not to pursue trying to change rooms.
My room and bathoom were small. I noticed some areas that had not been wiped down enough; a hangar and a broken piece of jewelry were on the floor and there was a stain in the toilet. The
toaster needed a good cleaning also.
The kitchen had a good sized fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee machine, cooking items, dishes,
paper towels, dishwashing liquid, etc. They also provided coffee and microwave popcorn. I found that I had everything I needed kitchen-wise for my stay.
The front of the room had a large closet that held an ironing board, iron and laundry basket.
The bathroom had a single sink and decent counter and drawer space. The shower water pressure and temperature was good and the towels were plentiful, soft and clean.
The room had a work area extending out from the kitchen and it included an office chair. There were plenty of outlets and the free wifi was fast and easy to use.
There was a recliner but the room was so small that I could not recline the chair without moving it to the middle of the room, which would have caused navigation problems.
The TV was huge - and by that I mean in an old TV way - and I had problems with the remote. Reception was fine. HBO was included which was nice. Still - TVs need upgrading.
The climate contol had to be done through a window unit. It was loud - which on some nights was actually a good thing - and schizophrenic. The window could be opened a couple of inches and that was nice on the warmer fall days and when the retention pond fountain was on.
I found the bed and pillows to be comfortable.
What was most problematic were the thin walls and floors. The person or persons staying above me came and went at all hours and sounded like they were moving all the furniture in their room - while wearing stilettos. I could hear the people on either side of me. I often had to sleep with the TV on low volume to drown out the door slams, heavy footing, dog barking, etc. Unfortunately the company must not have spent the money necessary to better soundproof their hotel.
In the lobby was a very tiny seating area. On Wednesdays this area was turned into a meal area as the manager, Dee, would provide a dinner meal for the guests, which was a wonderful touch particularly to those of us who were spending so much time away from family. On all other days, there were fresh cookies, tea or juice and popcorn. This was terrific. Dee also passed out candy to the guests at Halloween - again, just little things that went beyond expectation. The lobby also has the Candewood Cupboard with breakfast, lunch and dinner items as well as snacks, drinks, ice cream and toiletries. There was free coffee all day; hopefully they will consider flavored creamer packets in the future. Proceeds from the cupboard go to charity which is great. Also in the cupboard is a book lending library. The front desk will also lend out DVDs that you can play
in your in-room DVD player if you choose to view it through your room TV.
Also off the lobby is the laundry/workout room. This room has 3 washers (one was broken while I was there) and 4 dryers and it is all FREE which is great. No laundry detergent or other products included, but you can buy those as the Cupboard if needed. There is another laundry facility on the 2nd floor.
The workout room included 2 stationary bikes, 3 treadmills, an exercise ball and a weight
machine. All of this looked nice and worked well. There were also 2 TVs (flat screens) in the exercise area.
The lobby also had a generous and varied supply of tourist brochures for St. Louis and the surrounding area. The staff also had suggestions. A white board in the lobby had weather info as well as info regarding any maintenance updates, or other activities.
The company should consider recycling. I just could not throw out 4 weeks' worth of recyclable items and I ended up packing them in the car so that I could recycle them at home.
As I said earlier, you could walk to several restaurants (American, Tex-Mex, Sports Bar, Sushi) and a movie theatre. Also walkable is a gas station/convenience store and car wash. Not so walkable but close are fast food, grocery, drugstore and coffee.
The hotel is right off the highway and an easy drive to Scott Air Force Base and several federal offices and federal contractor offices. I also made some sightseeing trips into St. Louis and even with all the road construction, it was typically 20-30 minutes in non-rush hour.
The staff was very pleasant and helpful. If I needed something (except the type of room I wanted) I got it. If I had a question it was answered quickly and pleasantly.
So the minuses of this hotel were the cleaning (fixable) and the soundproofing (a more complicated issue). The plusses were the staff and, in my opinion, the location.
So would I stay here again? If I had another extended stay and could not get the room and/or location I wanted - then probably not. If I had a short stay or was able to get a better room/location - then I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dee D, General Manager at Candlewood Suites O'Fallon, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for your comments we appreciate your patronage and would like to have you back at our hotel again real soon.

Thanks
Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I needed a place to stay near Belleville, IL that had a kitchen. This was the only place we could find that looked decent. We were very happy with the room and amenities and the staff was friendly. Unfortunately the reasons we needed to stay here didn't work out and our stay was cut from 2 weeks down to 2 days, but having experienced the Candlewood Suites we would certainly look to stay at any of them again in the future whether it is a short or long term stay. The room was spacious, clean and the kitchen, though not well stocked did have everything two people would need if we wanted to cook. There was a full size refrigerator with an ice maker in the freezer, a dishwasher, microwave and a two stove burner. The bathroom was also a reasonable size. The reason I am not giving the place an excellent rating is that there were a few things that could be improved. (If I could give it a 4.5 I would). First there was no garbage can in the bathroom, yet the towels were awesome, some of the softest I have had in a hotel. Also for an extended stay, there was not a great deal of drawer space to put clothes away. Only three and for two people that really isn't a lot if you are staying for a week or more. We didn't need the laundry facility, but the fact that they were available and free is also a huge bonus. Each afternoon there were free snacks provided in the lobby. When we arrived it was meatballs and the next day was cookies and popcorn. These little touches really helped make the place feel welcoming. The location was also really convenient. We could walk to several different restaurants and the 15 Cineplex movie theatre. We were a short distance away from what looked like a decent shopping mall and there were lots of amenities around the 5 mile radius.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dee D, General Manager at Candlewood Suites O'Fallon, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for Choosing Candlewood Suites, we appreciate your comments and would love to have you back soon. Please consider us on your next trip to O'Fallon Il.
Dee Denny

Been to Candlewood Suites O'Fallon? Share your experiences!