“Hotel Hell” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 11 hotels in O'Fallon
Chicago, Illinois
“Hotel Hell”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Carpets stained, clientele is very ghetto. We had to stay here during a relocation. The only highlight was the staff they are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is not cleaned well. We found roaches, TVs suck, and just not my cup of tea. I didn't feel comfortable here at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
OFALLONIL, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
DairyGeek

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on the Suburban Extended Stay, I would like to give you a few fact about our property so there is no misunderstanding about the clientele or the property itself.

90% of all the guest that stay with us is from Scott Air Force Base, we have a mixer of active and retired military families that are staying with us during there move to Scott or there transition out of Scott. Some families have loved ones that are deployed oversees and they are here watching over there kids and or belongings. No matter what it is none of the guest here are "Ghetto", in fact I would have to say this is one of the safest hotels.

As I stated before in a previous comment, because you have also made a serious accusation that effects the perception of the hotel I'm compelled to state a few facts about bugs. #1 they are brought in by people. #2 they have nothing to do with cleanliness or lack there of and #3 they can be brought into any establishment i.e. hospitals, dorm rooms, retail centers etc. They are not just subject to hotels.

We have implemented preventative measures to ensure we don't have any issues. This would include training conducted by a nationally recognized pest elimination company. Not only are we on a preventative plan. Due to the public misconceptions about bugs we felt that this was a good proactive measure to ensure our guests can stay and sleep with the utmost confidence that this property has gone above and beyond all expectations.

Jaclyn Gross

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Anderson, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I would give 0 stars if possible, this place was gross. we went to leave on a sunday and we saw a bug in my car. brushed it off and then boom we see one in my house then a few days later we see another one in our house. we call orkin and show him the bug its a GERMAN COCKROACH- most commonly picked up in HOTELS!!!!! They refused to help us they would NOT give me my money back, they lied to us left and right and this place was a JOKE! Thank GOD they do not serve food I will NEVER stay there again- we always stay on Regency Park and have never had a problem until we went to this hotel... SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE OF NASTY BUGS AND DO NOT STAY THERE

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
OFALLONIL, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry to hear about your alleged incident. I can see that this is your first and only review. I hope that it wasn't written in haste relative to your communications with our corporate office. They are trained to separate fact from fiction and I see that you were not satisfied with their answer. They have all our preventative maintenance documents on file and there was no question as to our side of your alleged accusations because of our credibility and ability to provide more documentation than requested.

Because you have made a serious accusation that effects the perception of the hotel I'm compelled to state a few facts about bugs. #1 they are brought in by people. #2 they have nothing to do with cleanliness or lack there of and #3 they can be brought into any establishment i.e. hospitals, dorm rooms, retail centers etc. They are not just subject to hotels.

We are proud of our establishment and proud of our reviews by guests who and have continuously stayed with us.

In regards to your stay we do know that your room was included in the preventative plan. Please take a look at where you were previously and maybe the source can be discovered and dealt with accordingly.

Jaclyn Gross
Southern Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The room was very clean and a great value. It was large, had a fully equipped kitchen area, and great TV channel options. The indoor pool and fitness center were nice amenities. I stayed for the week and obtained a weekly rate. Very good long term option.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Bratt, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I lived in the Suburban, O'Fallon for two months while working in the area. Overall I was very pleased. The staff were all very nice and helpful. The front desk is only open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., helping keep the costs low.

The property has a pool & workout room (setting it above the similar property next door), coin laundry, a few vending machines, and a business center. Two of the gym machines were out of order during my stay but both were fixed in less than a week. The pool was always warm and I usually had it to myself, but the coping was mildewed. Laundry was about $1.50 a load. The machines were all clean and the one out of order machine was promptly fixed.

There was no restaurant available since each room has cooking facilities. I had a full size fridge, decent microwave, and cooktop, with standard pans and utensils for two. The hallway frequently smelled of various cooking smells, cigarette smoke and some animal smells, but none of that smell entered my room.

The environmental unit was easy to run and kept a very consistant temperature.
I LOVE that the place accepts pets, but some pet owners should be more respectful. A couple mornings there were puddles in the elevator. Owners: clean up after your animals! Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

The free wi-fi was adequate (not fast) speed, but every other day I had to call their remote help desk to have the access point reset. They knew me by name after a week or so, but never bothered to enter a ticket to fix the underlying problem. As I was working from my room a fair amount, this was a significant inconvenience.

We had several snowstorms while I was there. The first big icing, it took them about 8 hours to put sand/salt on the front walk and it was trecherous. The parking lot was a slow to be cleared.

The first month I was there, the third floor was very quiet. The last two weeks of my stay a large family moved in, occupying multiple rooms. They were running up and down the halls at all hours calling to each other, the baby cried late into the night, and doors were always slamming, as late as 2 a.m., as they went back and forth between their units.

I was surprised not to have a proper desk, but I was able to work at the dining table. I was also disappointed that the website says they have weekly maidservice, but if you pay the monthly rate you get no service. I was hoping to have the maid vacuum and change the linens once a week. The guests may take linens to the front desk to exchange them yourself. You are also responsible for replacing the dishsoap and toilet paper. But there is a $10/day difference in the weekly and monthly rate. I would have paid a small fee to have all that done for me.

Did I mention I loved the staff? I did, but I would change a few of the management's policies.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor, on the end, to minimize loud neighbors.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
West Salem, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We chose to stay here because it had a pool and hot tub, and the price was great for a hotel in Ofallon. The front desk was nice, but when we got to our room we realized we were right by the elevator. we decided to just deal with it because we were tired. our room looked okay, till I checked out the kitchen, some of the utensils were dirty. Food was still stuck on them. My boyfriend jumped on the bed, and said it was terribly uncomfortable. We decided to go swimming to relax. The pool was green, I couldn't see past my waist. but we decided to get in regardless of the color, and the water felt...gross!! we stayed in for my 1 year old. after ward we immediately went up to shower to find stained towels, a couple with holes. when we got into bed for the night, the sheets had a couple stains, and found hairs, also one bed had holes in the sheets. I didn't sleep well with the elevator running, and the very uncomfortable pillows! the next morning we were excited to leave, I cancelled my second night and we stayed at another local hotel. while packing up we found hair, a nail, and a dirty tissue under the bed. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. I figured it would be decent since it was a "choice hotel" I was really disappointed!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stay at this hotel at least once a month travelling for business and have always found it to be clean and well-maintained. The front desk staff has always been extremely helpful, friendly, and very accommodating to any special requests I have had (i.e. extra pillows). The location is excellent and very centrally located right off the highway for easy access.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My husband and I wanted an inexpensive room for one night. Knowing the adage "you get what you pay for," we didn't expect much. Were we surprised! The room was spacious and very clean. Both desk clerks (check in and check out) were friendly and made sure we had everything we needed for the night. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay with them again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Suburban Extended Stay? Share your experiences!