“Quick to right wrongs” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Northbrook
Metro NY
“Quick to right wrongs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have stayed at this property 3 or 4 times and it will be my first choice when I go back to Chicagoland. Here are my top 3 reasons:

3) Excellent rooms. While the bathrooms are tight (with the sink outside the actual toilet/shower facility; I personally don't like being on a carpeted area when I dry my hair or brush my teeth), the rooms are very spacious and well appointed: fridge, great Lavazza coffee pods, cozy robes, iron/ironing board, a really decent 1875 watt hair dryer (not one of those cheap and noisy wall units that take three times the amount of time to actually dry your mane), huge flat screen TV, nice spacious desk, armchair, very comfortable bed, and always immaculate upon arrival.

2) Good hotel amenities. A very good (for a hotel) fitness room with pretty new treadmills and other equipment, and a very very nice swimming pool area with a sauna, etc.; good and spacious bar and decent restaurant. Very good business center with good copiers/printers etc. and several 'workstations." Unlike my experiences at other hotels, I have never had the pressure of another guest breathing down my neck to get on a computer or copier here.

1) The STAFF. Very friendly and accommodating, but also savvy enough to go the extra mile. I made a passing complaint to a manager about early morning staff noise and food smells having disturbed my stay along with minor trouble I;d had with Internet access (these were minor annoyances, not disastrous inconveniences); not only did I get solutions to my problems, but the manager sent a personal note of apology along with a bottle of wine and a cheese platter to my room that evening. WOW. THAT impressed me and erased any negative impressions I may have formed that day. Send that manager to teach a seminar for hoteliers on customer service and building loyalty, because, for the cost of one bottle of wine and a few slices of cheese and crackers, he just sealed his grip on the holy grail of any business: customer loyalty.

The only reason I don't give this hotel 5 stars is the quality of the food: it's tasty but a little bit Costco... high on sodium and mass-produced.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
bobmsmith, Director Room Divsion at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give us such a thorough review

Gary Sutton was the Front Office Manager that assisted you

He is one of our Top Performer's and his efforts obviously have not gone un- noticed

I will make sure to recognize him at this weeks staff meeting

Have a Great 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Hilton Northbrook has several good things going for it. Good food for breakfast, Great Service from the front desk, nice bar for light dinner fare, Great Restaurant for a Real Sit-down Dinner.

I had to take care of some unplanned emergencies (putting out fires for my team at work) while I was there, and I was able to be more effective in my work because I had a solid team backing me up in my 'Home away from Home."

The room had ample space to work at my desk or relax after work, and when I needed a quick ride the airport, they had me covered with a reliable car service at a reasonable price available on demand within a short 15-20 min.

Thanks Hilton Staff - You've done it again!

Room Tip: Rooms with 'forest view' are preferred. Restaurant is excellent for dinner.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Hello,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such a nice review

I will share your comments with our team at next weeks staff meeting

Emporia, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times for business meetings and have never been disappointed. It is well run and maintained, and the meeting rooms are welled prepared. The
staff are very nice and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Good afternoon and thank you for staying with us, we value your loyalty & patronage

I appreciate you taking the the time to give us such a good review

Gurnee, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and I travel to this location everytime we need to take a quick break and get some alone time in from the kids. This hotel is always nice, clean with comfortable rooms and the food is great. My only complaint is the service....we had a Romance Package with in room breakfast the next morning and the staff gave us the wrong vouchers upon arrival so that was a lot of back & forth hassel about what package was reserved and after dinner our trays from the night before were left at our door all night and never picked up. The following morning we were waiting for breakfast wondering why it had not came just to find out our menu request was never picked up. Just too many hassels for a "supposedly" relaxing break my wife and I needed. They dropped the ball too many times for me but I came back to give them another chance, but We won't be back for a long time. Tired of the same bland forest view rooms as well.

Room Tip: Try to always make sure you are getting EXACTLY what you reserve because this location has a tendacy...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
bobmsmith, Director Room Divsion at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I thank you for selecting us for such a special occasion and I truly apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I was extremely disappointed to read from your review that you and your wife had some issues at our hotel specifically regarding the lack of attention you received from our staff. I am sorry if you there was some misunderstandings regarding your voucher and I can assure you that I have spoken to our staff regarding your comments. Your satisfaction is my number one priority and I will definitely keep you feedback in mind to improve our guests experience.

Olomouc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Good rooms, good service, attentive staff, fast internet; nothing to complain about.
The only area for improvement might be the breakfast offering, but you will not find a European style breakfast in most American hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, December 4, 2012

We appreciate you taking the the time to give us such a good review

Have a Wonderful Holiday Season
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is an older property but recently remodeled. Very quiet and in sort of a woods-like setting. The hotel contains an excellent restaurant and the room service food is great. Also very good value for the price of the food. Good staff, would definitely recommend for a stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and Services..

I will share your comments with our Restaurant Manager & Executive Chef..

Happy Holidays..
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

We booked well in advance and PREPAID for our stay. Requested room in the block of rooms for a wedding. Instead we were put in a whole separate tower! Hilton took our money in advance and did not honor our request. We were cheated out of the room we paid for IN ADVANCE.

• Stayed November 2012
bobmsmith, Director Room Division at Hilton Northbrook, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for the feedback about our hotel staff. I sincerly apologize that we were unable to accomadate your reserved room type. Our front desk department goes through a extensive process each day to ensure that our guests recieve the room they anticipated. Unfortunatley, at times we do not have the same availibilty due to guests extending their stays with us. Once again, I apologize for the incovenience and we look forward to seeing you the next time you're in Chicago.

Been to Hilton Northbrook? Share your experiences!